The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Slydini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
Ed Rosenthal (Boston) was a very close friend to Slydini, travelled Europe with him etc. Ed's email is Edwardo1927@Yahoo.com. He would enjoy sharing memories of "the Master" with others who knew Slydini personally.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Speaking of bad angles, I had the pleasure of sitting in the front row at Slydini's performance at the first NY Magic Symposium in the early 1980s. Unfortunately I was sitting at the extreme end of the row along with my girlfriend who had an even better view of his lap.

When Slydini performed his classic Four Paper Balls to Box Routine, we could see everything. After the routine, I turned to my girlfriend, who had no magical knowledge, and commented, "Even seeing how it was done,wasn't it beautiful?"

She replied, "I have no idea how he did it!" Talk about strong misdirection!

I think I have blurry copies of two of the Dick Cavett specials on VHS somewhere. This thread has inspired me to dig them out and burn them to DVDs before it's too late.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
magicarisimon
View Profile
Regular user
Sherman Oaks
116 Posts

Profile of magicarisimon
Sadly, I never got a chance to see Slydini perform in person. I have seen footage of him performing though, and all I can say is that his misdirection is impecable even on video tape. My favorite routine in all of magic is Slydini's Knotted Silks. All I can say is that I hope someone finds some notes of his explaining his views on the pschology of misdirection!
Always in Magic,
Ari Simon
Editor of THE THAUMATURGE
www.thaumaturgenews.com
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2711 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2005-09-17 03:43, magicarisimon wrote:
Sadly, I never got a chance to see Slydini perform in person. I have seen footage of him performing though, and all I can say is that his misdirection is impecable even on video tape. My favorite routine in all of magic is Slydini's Knotted Silks. All I can say is that I hope someone finds some notes of his explaining his views on the pschology of misdirection!

Get the book The Magic Of Slydini or better yet get the Anotated Magic Of Slydini published by L&L publishing. You will find information there on Slydini's thoghts on misdirection.
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
It's been a while since I've checked this thread out. Has anyone heard any news of putting all the Slydini tapes together on one DVD? That would be a great DVD!

Posted: Dec 10, 2005 9:20pm

----------------------------------------------------------------
The DVD has arrived. It can be found at http://www.theambitiouscard.com/?ref=cafesig as well s other sites. I have ordered it and although haven't reviewed it yet, I feel that I can highly recommend it. This is the site where I have found the cheapest price.

Craig
jonahcard
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of jonahcard
HiEveryone. This is my very first post on this wonderful place,The Magic Café.i have gone though this thread, and could not find a reference to a film called "Into Thin Air" ,so I thought I would mentioned it here.Back in the 1950's, Slydini ,for a number of months,appered every sunday, on a weekly show on the B.B.C.called the Max Jaffa Show.Max Jaffa led a small group of musicians,and they featured light classical music,and they were extremely popular . Each week, the show would feature a little bit of Slydini and his magic.It so happened that during the time that Slydini was appearing on the Jaffa show,Dia Vernon was doing a tour of Britain,and so someone had the idea, that the two should be filmed together,and the result was a film called,"Into Thin Air". The film was shown on the B.B.C.As you may or may not know, the B.B.C operates with out commercials, so in those days they had a very small budget.This resulted in the B.B.C. showing any films that they had aquired the rights to,to show the film over and over again, though out the year, in order to fill air time. As a result I got to see "Into Thin Air" so many times, that I can rerun it in my mind any time I want to. The show featured three magicians ,Dia Vernon,Slydini,and Cy Enfield,and was hosted by Peter Scott.They where all seated at a round table.Also present at the table was a lady spectator. Dia Vernon was the first to perform,and he performed the three ball trick.Slydini ,was next and he performed the torn and restored cigarette,coins thru the table and finished with the silks knot trick.Cy Enfield completed the show by performing Stanley Collins Aces.During his performance ,Slydini would numerous times ,lean forward,after performing a certain effect, towards the lady spectator for whom he was performing the magic, and ask."Is that good?", the lady would rely "that's good",Slydini would then lean back ,tap his chest with the tips of his right hand and say to the spectator,"No,no,don't tell me it's good ,I know it's good".Meanwhile his left hand would drop to his lap. Slydini made his comment's in such a manner,although it was a boast (I know it's good) it would sound comical and the lady would laugh,and I noticed that, no one was enjoying Slydini's performance more than Dia Vernon, who would laugh harder than the lady spectator.Not only was Slydini's performance magical,Slydini himself was also comical,and had the ability to make people laugh anytime he so chose, thereby disarming them. The film was high quality,and the cameras took really close up shots of the performer hand while they were performing their magic.It's highly likely that somewhere in Britain,there exsists at least one copy of this film.
only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will aquire the skill to do difficult things easily.
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
Jonahcard: That film sounds great. If you ever hear of it being shown or can get a tape of it, I'm sure there are a lot of magicians across the world who would love to see it.

Thanks and welcome to the forum.

Merry Christmas

Craig
BooRadley
View Profile
Regular user
Houston Area
176 Posts

Profile of BooRadley
I never met him, but in the mid-70's I was living in Pennsylvania and would occasionally go to lectures at James Swoger's--a manufacturer of stage illusions. They had a regular meeting of area magicians and magic enthusiasts. I certainly wasn't a professional, but I did a lot of bar magic and at the time thought it might be interesting to get to know some members of the local magic community.

One meeting they had 3 or 4 of Slydini's students come down to lecture and give demonstrations. Because it was closeup magic, I made sure to attend. I don't care much for stage illusions, but love the closeup material. The guests were all advanced students of Slydini and very good at what they did. I do recall that my initial reaction was disappointment. The idea of lapping objects didn't initially appeal to me at all. I was also a bit put off by their style or approach to performance. It seemed rather "rigid".

But after a few minutes, I realized that it wasn't so much rigid as stylized. Their hands moved in a very specific manner or style...almost as if choreographed--which of course, they were! That stylized approach allowed them a lot of lattitude to do things...or APPEAR to do things. I noted they repeated several movements in routines that appeared to be the same...but it was the repetition of movement that allowed them to conduct their trickery.

They also were constantly telling us they were about to fool us--again, something I found to be odd. Why tell me you're going to fool me? Just do it. But again, that was part of the approach. They often weren't fooling me when they said they were...they were setting me up for something about to happen...or making something that had alreay happened even more dynamic.

When they did their Slydini coin routines, I went absolutely crazy with appreciation for the manual dexterity. These people were excellent. It's one thing to see a master palm a silver dollar. It's another to see a master palm multiple silver dollars and repeatedly show me the fronts and backs of their hands. I know they are there...but darn it...I couldn't see them. I almost thought they had ditched them when they would stop--describing their technique--and show what they were doing.

I immediately bought the double book set of Slydini magic. One volume is text, the other companion book shows photos. It's very good...although for his styly of magic, I think a video would be infinitely better. His work is very stylized. It's not so much WHAT he does, but HOW he does it that is so impactful.

Anyway, never met him, but I came to appreciate him VERY much. I actually keep 4 silver dollars in a small box by my chair in the living room. Sometimes when I'm watching something on TV--something my wife picked out--I'll take them out and try to front and back palm 4 silver dollars at the same time. If you ever want to be humbled, try it sometime. It'll give you a great appreciation for one of the all time masters of closeup magic.

BooRadley
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Ironically, Slydini did not encourage his students to imitate his stylized movements, once they had learned the material. Some of his better students, such as Bill Wisch, Cellni, and Johnny Fox can "channel" Slydini when they want to, but they also do their own material their own way.

I did get to see him live on several occasions, and had a lesson from him as well.

He was very special, not just as a magician, but as a person.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1758 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I wish I could have had the chance to see and learn from Slydini,Bill your absolutly right.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I was very lucky to have spent a lot of time with Slydini, socially as well as magically. He was a master of EVERYTHING he did. In his later years he was working on putting material together for misdirecting muggers! But, as far as I know none of that material was ever published. He had asked me to help write it, but he in NY and me in Calif., made it impossible at the time. Now I wish I had taken leave to spend the time with him to do the book.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
At the Desert Magic Seminar, I ran into him in the hallway. He acted kind of embarrassed, and he told me that he needed to use the restroom, but he was afraid to push through the crowd in the hallway. This was at the Frontier, which had some fairly narrow hallways. So I ran interference for him, and got him where he needed to go.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Slydini (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL