We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Rippin' On Leipzig - E-book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4848 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Need a review for this new "The Signed Torn & Restored Cigarette Paper"

http://magic.atomicbrew.com/rippin.html
Kronos9326
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
229 Posts

Profile of Kronos9326
Hey there.

Steve sent this to me and I've given it a read and like it a lot.

It's 8 pages, with photos to accompany the text where required.

The first few pages describe the effect, and provide tips and suggestions for which type of paper to use, etc. Steve states though there are similarities to other methods, his method is "more practical in it's handling ... and working in a restaruant or strolling environment where there is little time to reset"

Having worked in restaurants, I love the 'little time to reset' angle. I will perform anything I deem worthy of reaction, even if it requires a few seconds reset each time I perform it. It's not about me, it's about the spectator. (not to mention I've gotten good at resetting effects while walking from one table to the next)

Page 3 is all about setting it up, and it's definitely a quick thing to do.

The last 5 pages are method. Each step is clearly photographed in colour (I printed these out on my colour printer and everything is crystal clear) and positioned in a manner that the text for the photo is beside the appropriate image. The directions are easy and clear to follow and I was able to follow along without a hitch. (I read fast, and as a result skip over small words.. any hitches I did encounter were because I did not read properly... it's the curse of growing up without a TV) The Signed part of the effect is handled neatly, and without pause, there are no 'fishy' movements that I could recognize.

The tearing of the papers is logical, and if performed slowly enough can be visible for everyone to see. (The paper is small after all). And again, there is no recognizeable fumbling or fishy handing.

When it comes time to count the pieces, you do just that. Count. Nothing else.

The restoration is the best part for me. I recently saw David Ben perform in Toronto for his show called "Tricks" (Nothing to do with the book), and he did a version of the tear that didn't look good for me, but I am sure looked good for the rest of the people. (That's the problem with being a magician. I still enjoy the shows, and love seeing other people perform, but sometimes it's hard to switch off and not look for the 'moment' the magic happens in).

I like Steve's version better, as a magician. It's cleaner, and less funny stuff going on. I am sure that this and other versions all have their strong points, but I think that this one will be the one that works it's way into my restaurant work.

On a side note: I've not had a chance to get to the store to get some papers, so I used post-it notes instead. They're about the same size. During practice, everything went the same. Once I get a chance to get to the store, I'll be buy a few packages of papers in order to practice properly.

This is a quick clean, and very fair torn and restored effect and I like it. For that price, you can't go wrong.

I highly recommend it.

David.
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
917 Posts

Profile of jbadman
This is excellent. Really good.

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Hi,

I agree with David, the effect is excellent, so clean, clever and no fishy moves.

Overall, it's a nice produced ebook. I really enjoyed it!!!!

I highly recommended this effect highly. Smile

Best,
Andrew Loh

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3232 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I purchased the effect and it is actually a card effect done with cigarette paper. I do not find it as great as everyone else n this thread did.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
AaronShields
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of AaronShields
I'm not really sure I'd categorize this as a card trick (or even a card effect) done with cigarette paper. The original Leipzig routine uses (surprise) cigarette paper. Just because the object is destroyed and restored, and torn and restored card tricks tend to be the most opular close-up trick of this genre doesn't mean it's a version of a card trick.
Find out about my magic:
http://www.freewebs.com/aaronshields
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Weepinwill, could you possibly PM me on how one could do that effect, using Leipzig's method, with a playing card? No offense, but one would have to have hands the size of Toledo, Spain and Toledo, Ohio combined to do that as I read the effect in the Vernon book.

Am I mising something here"

Honest question, of flames implied or intended.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3232 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2005-01-09 04:10, Lee Darrow wrote:
Weepinwill, could you possibly PM me on how one could do that effect, using Leipzig's method, with a playing card? No offense, but one would have to have hands the size of Toledo, Spain and Toledo, Ohio combined to do that as I read the effect in the Vernon book.

Am I mising something here"

Honest question, of flames implied or intended.

Lee Darrow, C.H.

I don't see why your hands would have to be large. Maybe I am missing something. Could it be that the Vernon book you cite and the effect I ordered from the website in this post is not the same? I do not have the Vernon book so I do not know. All I know is that I ordered the effect and noticed that the fold of the paper to conceal original was the same method of a torn and restored card effect I have.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
The method of Steve Pellegrino's version (Rippin' on Leipzig) is somewhat reminiscent of several T&R card effects. I don't know if I would call it a "card effect done with cigarette paper", though. The history of the T&R Cigarette Paper goes back over a hundred years. Here are some additional references for folks who are interested:

Ellis Stanyon, Mahatma, 1898
Ellis Stanyon, Mahatma, 1899
T. Nelson Downs, The Art of Magic, 1909
Henry Hatton and Adrian Plate, Magician's Tricks and How They Are Done, 1910
Hereward Carrington, Boy's Book of Magic, 1920
Hugard's Magic Monthly, 1944
Lewis Ganson, Dai Vernon's Tribute to Nate Leipzig, 1963
Hugard's Magic Monthly, 1963
Stuart Cramer, Germain the Wizard and his Legerdemain, 1966
George Starke, et. al, Stars of Magic, 1975
The Magic and Methods of Ross Bertram, 1978
Magic of Jimmy Grippo, 1981
John Bannon, Impossibilia, 1990
Martin Lewis, Undivided (video), 2000

Personally, I only have about half the items on that list -- a number of the credits come from Martin Lewis's video. There's also some overlap in methods. The Leipzig method, for example is explained in both Vernon's Tribute to Leipzig and Stars of Magic. One of the methods listed in the Art of Magic is the same concept behind Undivided, though Martin Lewis's routining and explanation of it is excellent and worth a look.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the valuable info. Smile

Best,
Andrew Loh

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
Magic-FX
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Magic-FX
Hi folks, does anyone know how I can get in touch with the author of this eBook?
I can't seem to find his email address anywhere

Thanks in advance...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Rippin' On Leipzig - E-book (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL