The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Art Of Astonishment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
doodah
View Profile
New user
California
23 Posts

Profile of doodah
Just a quick note to clarify something in the table of contents info above...Regarding my humble contribution to Paul's opus...

"295 Tensegrity (Astonishing Friends): An oddity you can contruct and display in your home. An apparent levitation."

Tensegrity is not a levitation...but a partial suspension. It can be done surrounded in most circumstances. It is a simple and unusual effect that truely messes with people's minds. It has fooled every magician I've done it for...for what that is worth. The reason I chose it to be included in Paul's book (thanks Paul) is that the principle behind it has GREAT possibilites. I rather hoped others would pick up on them and develop more effects. Time will tell. Paul's Series..AoA...is WELL worth the price. Even if you use NONE of the great effects (that would be foolish) you will get an insight into the creative thinking process of one of the most inventive minds on the planet.
My doctor says that I am losing my short-term memory, and he also says that I am losing my short-term memory.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2914 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
The Art Of Astonishment books are one of the best investments I have ever made in magic. So much practical, visual, and entertaining material and almost all of it suits my performance style. They are also so much fun to read with hilarious essays, method descriptions, photos, and pipe-dream style effects near the back , some of which could actually really work well.

Get these asap!
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
magic-upclose
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magic-upclose
The effects are great, but the writing is what makes me come back and reread these again.
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
Although initially reluctant to obtain AoA due to price, I was finally persuaded to purchase the 3 volume set by the numerous very positive Café comments regarding the desireability and quality of the contents. I am so glad that I took the plunge! Prior to the purchase, I was not familiar with Harris' work. However, reading through (and working through) the effects which are presented and described in AoA have been wonderfully positive experiences.

As good as the effects are, I almost enjoy the reading more! Michaelmystic2003 hit it right on the head: the magic contained in AoA is visual, entertaining and sometimes rather quirky (that last sentiment is mine, not Michaelmystic's).

Because of the amount of good material spread over the three volumes, I am happily anticipating many hours of reading (and performing) pleasure in the months ahead.

Angelo
truckbonner555
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of truckbonner555
You can't beat Art of Astonishment. Some of my favorite effects include Las Vegas Leaper, Super Swindle, Cros Twist, Cardicians Blendo, and Mondo Nifty Invisible Palm.
-Alex
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Hello, I know the description from Doug Atkinson's site was published here at the Café about 2 years ago, but this website looks interesing. What is the web address to Dog Atkinson;s site?

Thanks

Chris
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
I found it I was putting too many words into google and that's why I wasnt able to find it. When I was less specific I found it.

Thanks

Chris
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
I actually liked Born to Perform, although I'm not a big fan of Oz Pearlman. Its certainly a good place to start for beginners and is something I'd highly recommend to any aspiring cardician. That being said, I CAN NOT recommend the AOA series more. It was recommended to me by a magic shop owner here in town about 10 years ago or so and I finally picked it up about a little while back and it has not disappointed. It is a wealth of Close-Up ideas the likes I've never seen anywhere else.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Art Of Astonishment (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL