The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ten Count (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2005-01-18 18:54, Bill Palmer wrote:

Turns out that Steve Shain had done the ten count for a Japanese child. And since he knew how to count to ten in Japanese....

I always do the ten count in Chinese. It is very sing-songy in the Hong Kong dialect. I took some lessons in Chinese almost 50 years ago and counting to ten is one of the few things I remember. The ten count is also on a Steve Dacri lecture video.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
I'm fascinated with this "ten count" idea. Could someone describe what it is (the premise) for me? Is it an expose, a sleight or an effect? I just started developing a sponge ball routine, and might like to add this but I hate buying a video or book for one effect.
Harry Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
Europe
128 Posts

Profile of Harry Lucas
English is not my mother tongue, and I hope you guys can help me: I am looking for the exact wording. What do/did you say when telling the audience what will happen. In german there's a certain sentence everyone uses and I am looking for the english equivalent.

Was it: "It happens at ten."?

"Look, on the count of ten...".

Thanks for your help.

Harry
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is no exact wording. Most people just say, "Watch! one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten!" It's done slowly, and that's it.

You can say anything you want to say before you start the count. You can say, "Keep your eyes on both hands and both balls," or you can say absolutely nothing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Harry Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
Europe
128 Posts

Profile of Harry Lucas
Thanks, Bill, for the prompt answer, it helps a lot!

Harry
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
"i am going to show you a trick in 10 seconds; 123456789 & 10
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1817 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Patrick Page does the ten count with uniform timing between each count, whereas others, such as Johnny Thompson, break up--slow down or speed up--the pace at certain points.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you want to have fun, count, "Eins, zwei, three, four, cinque, eksi, efta, sem', vocem', niu, tiu." That's it -- the sleight in five different languages.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I like that! I'll be in Denmark in a couple of weeks, and never could grasp their number system. This might help a lot!
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Eva
View Profile
Regular user
Magicienne
125 Posts

Profile of Eva
Quote:
On 2005-10-22 23:58, adrianbent wrote:
I'm fascinated with this "ten count" idea. Could someone describe what it is (the premise) for me? Is it an expose, a sleight or an effect? I just started developing a sponge ball routine, and might like to add this but I hate buying a video or book for one effect.

Adrian,

The ten count starts with two sponge balls on a table (or other surface)...one beneath the left hand and one beneath the right. Ten hand movements are made (and you can count out loud to ten as you make them if you wish), the balls are seemingly placed one in each hand while these movements take place...but on the count of TEN, they are revealed to be both in the same hand.

A balls across effect.

Eva
"Believe it, or believe it not!" ~ Manuel Muerte

(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
674 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Just to add to the list the Ten Count can also be found in the new Roy Benson By Starlight book on page 398. In the book it is called the Chinese Count.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5260 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Harvey Rosenthal has a Two Count variation using coins that's great. He fooled me with it the first couple of times that he performed it for me even though I already knew and performed the Ten Count using sponge balls.
Noel M
View Profile
Loyal user
San Rafael. CA
208 Posts

Profile of Noel M
When the Tonight Show came from New York, (when dinasaurs roamed the earth) The Amazing Randi was on a few times a year. I was a size double for Carson back then, so I was cast to doule for him in an comedy illusion where he was strapped into a vertical box, the door was closed and when it was open Carson was on his head. I'm not sure how he did it but I had a headache for a week
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Steve Dacri uses it to good effect on volume 1 of his three DVD series "The Magic of Steve Dacri -- No Filler!"
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ten Count (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL