The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel Magic With Kids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
I currently perform for children's birthday parties among many other events. How do I go about performing gospel magic at these non-christian events? I currently peroform the King Of Hearts and was thinking about doing a few more gospel tricks. Should I ask the person in charge of the party if I can perform some gospel effects?
I don't want to affend anyone.
-Tyler
Hamil
View Profile
New user
Bay Area California
93 Posts

Profile of Hamil
Just a thought........Tell them that you are a Christian and do Gospel Magic also.

Give them 2 prices.......one without the Gospel and a discounted price if they would allow you to do 5 or 10 minutes of your show with a Gospel Presentation.

The logic of this to me is that in being allowed to present the Gospel to non-Christians it would be worth the giving of some of my finances.

Again, this is just a thought I had as I was reading your post.

Would appreciate everyone’s thoughts about this idea, although this approach might be better for the adult audience, if it is good at all?
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
One important thing, and I sense that you understand it, is that you can't just sneak it in on them. In other words, you have to get permission to do it.

Hamil's suggestion is terrific one. Have a published list with your various performing options, even if just a word processor typed sheet of paper. And show say; $250 for a 1 hour birthday show (I don't do brithday shows, so I don't know the price or even how long you would do one. So if I am way off on the money or the time, forgive me.) Or $175 for a one hour Birthday show with Christian and Character lessons included. Make the numbers whatever you feel is right. So that way they can decide if the Gospel is an offense, but less an offense that spending and extra $75, that might be a factor in your favor.

I have two prices, Nothing, and a Lot. I charge Nothing to perform in evangelistic areas. In other words, if they don't know God, and I can introduce Him, I perform for free. But if it is Entertainment, I charge as much as the person heading the bill, or if I am heading the bill, I charge as much as anyone else in a similar situation would ask.

I am extremely blessed to be able to perfrom for Nothing if I feel the performance is within my mission to evangelize through illusions. But I realize that not everyone could do it for free, and so I am not saying that you or anyone else should perform for free.

Over all, pray for wisdom, and seek good counsel of Godly men (and women), and then listen for God's providential wisdom.

God Bles!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
Isn't is a shame that we have to worry about offending someone by doing some Gospel magic in a birthday party show?

I know that it is "politicaly correct" to get permission when you are getting paid for the show, but what if you just work one or two Gospel tricks into your show and keep the message for these trick general such as "God loves everyone equally" rather then a heavy duty preaching message?

Like BroDavid says "Over all, pray for wisdom, and seek good counsel of Godly men (and women), and then listen for God's providential wisdom."

Craig Pontz
Hamil
View Profile
New user
Bay Area California
93 Posts

Profile of Hamil
I realize this may seem like a play on words to some but "The Gospel” means so much more than:"God loves everyone equally". Just to sneak in a qualifying love statement by mentioning God's Love for everyone, leads no one into the real message of the Gospel.

Also, in this difficult culture we live in, telling someone that they are loved can be a very traumatic thing. Many in out society today have suffered major abuse and had the phrase “you know I love you” attached to the abusive act that has devastated their lives.

What I have found also is most people who have been abused have issues with God and why He would let such a thing happen. “God loves me?…….your out of your mind. No, the Gospel Magician like all missionaries for the Gospel, have a much greater duty than just to say: “God Loves You”.

God Word (His love letter to us )does wish that none should perish and that we should have life and life more abundant but these are just words on paper to some until we as God’s ambassadors show them “The Way”.

We must show them how Christ loved them, and that is what can change hearts and the direction of lives and this….. this can only be done by presenting the Gospel Story as it happened.

Sorry Craig, I don’t mean to rain on your parade…..I just think as a whole, we turn and tuck way too much. There’s some real hurt out there and the Gospel is the only true message that can deliver them………IMHO
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
Hamil:

I was talking about childrens birthday parties, not doing something this general for adult audiences. I was not talking about a Gospel show with a evangelical message.

I was trying to make the point that we are sometimes so worried about being "politically correct" that we would not even include a trick or two in a childrens birthday party that might have a general gospel theme such as God Loves you. I don't see how this message could hurt any child.

Sorry if I offended you.

Craig Pontz
Hamil
View Profile
New user
Bay Area California
93 Posts

Profile of Hamil
Craig, you did not offend me as I hope I do not you. I simply choose not to confuse a magic trick or show given to kids (or adults) that’s is limited to "God loves you" as anything close in resemblance to a "Gospel Theme"

In simpler terms, it is one thing to say God loves you and a very different thing to bring the Gospel of Jesus Christ into the performance. I believe you called it a "General Gospel Theme"

Just about all cultures in general believe there is a God of some sort, so when you say God loves you, it can be easily recognized and accepted into their own believe system.

This is not true with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Its gate is narrow and well defined and hostilities are easily arouse if the season is not correct when it is presented.

Again, my intentions are not to offend you Craig, but to be crystal clear in the profound differences of the two methodologies that seem to me to be trying to run side by side in compliment to each other in this tread.

I only hope these words that I have shared do not share the same frustration that I personaly feel as I’ve tried to explain the position I hold without the benefit of an in person conversation.

As, it just might be that the two of us are really on the same page and debating apples and oranges. Both of which God created for the delight of His children and the worshipping of Him for His thoughtfulness towards us.
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
Hamil: You did not offend me. I understand what you are saying and agree with it. I too think we may be talking too different things. I was bringing up the "political correctness" aspect and how it sometimes affects (unfortunately) what or how we present magic. We should be bold in proclaiming the Good News!

Good chatting.

Craig
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel Magic With Kids (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL