The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » My Radio Challenge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
By posting this, I really don't think I'll be exposing any escape secrets such as the milk can, it's actually an expose' of how I did this one escape. It's more of an expose' of my nerve than anything else, I hope the edit team dosen't get to it and allows it to stay !!!

Ok...before you read this posting, please go check out http://www.escapes.5u.com look at the pics posted on the "radio challenge" page, then come on back and read this posting....I'll wait. Tap, tap, tap,tap.

Okay, ur back...well done. I did that escape 25 years ago, so I don't mind telling you how it was done. The two guys in the photos,(with the hat and the other with the thick glasses) They made the crate I was locked up in, I gave them the plans and they built it to my specs....can you believe that??? They actually went along with it and didn't ask a question.

The escape was to be done at the Civic Complex in my hometown in one of the suites, it was a media invitation only event. They all showed up which was very cool of them. So the challengers brought the crate to the complex at 3:00pm dropped it off at the suite 2 days before the date of the escape, we talked for a bit and they made sure the janitor locked the door and they double checked it and left.

When they left and I made sure they were gone, I hunted the janitor down and said...and I swear these are the words I used, word for word. I introduced myself to the fellow, I did a few small close-up effects for him and I said..."If I bought you back a case of 24 beer of your choice, would you open the back door to that suite, and let me take that box out for 2 hours" ? "a case of 2-4" ? he said, "yes, your choice of brand" I replied. "sure thing" ! he said, "this has to remain between you and me, now"...he just shook his head, "no sir, between us" was his answer.

My friend, Jack Wright , was a wood working teacher at my old high school and had a good understanding of how Illusions were built and worked. He actually made some illusions for my friend Jeff Evason (who now has the finest, 2 person ESP act in the English speaking world with his wife, Tess). Jack was waiting outside in his truck, the janitor and I hauled that big pig of a crate out the back door and covered it up and drove to his shop.

When we got to his shop, we took the bottom of the crate off and if you look at the photo where you can see the inside, you'll see 2 cross support beams on the bottom inside. I had the crate built using that size beam for good reason. Jack cut the bottom in half exactly at the half way point of that support beam. There were support beams on the outside bottom of the crate as well. So the cut was hidden by both beams on the inside and outside bottom...understand??

We took all of the real screws out and glued in screwheads on the inside and outside except at four spots. 2 in the upper inside corners of the crate and 2 on the lower inside half on the support beam. Geez I hope you are following this. So, all in all , on the gaffed side of the crate all of the outside screws were just the heads and all but 4 screws on the inside were heads.

As part of the challange, these two guys said they were going to bring a locksmith in to examine everything. LOL! These guys were east end boys and there was only 1 Locksmith in the east end of my hometown. LOL...it was a very good friend of mine, Ernie Denis...the same man who showed me the basics of lock picking!!! What a fluke, eh ? Well, Ernie brought all of the locks from his shop that were to be used....and he gave me a spare key....they were all keyed alike !!!!! (god bless you Ernie!)"thought you'd like this" and dropped the key into the Abbots mail bag I was using. He did this after the bag had been inspected...and he inspected it in front of the press !!!!(the press was busy with the crate when Earnie said and did that for me)

Ok, they bound me up and placed me into the crate, locked it, screwed it closed, stapled chicken wire around the entire box and then stapled heavy plastic around the box. They all banged on the box before they left to signal that they were leaving, all saying "good luck, Rick" . Well I have to admit, those chains hurt...badly, but Earnie's key helped out.

After I shook off the cuffs and chains and the bag...I removed a special tool I had made from........"somewhere" on my body, it was the head of a screw driver, I cut it an inch from the end, cut a groove into it and then forced a dime coin into the groove as a handle, and I removed the four real screws from the inside and slid the trap off. Now...there was the plastic and chick wire. My friends, I will not tell you how I got past that...that, I will keep secret. All I can tell you is that the press inspected the box after the escape and they did not see one staple out of place on either the wire or plastic.

Once I was out...up the crate went on it's end...I unscrewed the four fakes from the outside, screwed them into the holes on the inside of the floor of the crate, I placed the trap into place and then screwed in the real screws to hold the trap in. Jack did a good job...that trap was in solid. I lowered the crate back down and walked out the door. The press and challengers were having lunch together in the Complex dining room. When I entered the dining room, every single person in that room stood up and applauded me...that blew me away. I guess the staff had told the patrons what was going on down the hall.

~Rick~
PS: to the folks in editing, I don't think I really exposed anything here, please don't take it off ???
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Brilliant Rick
I like the way you handled the Janitor though.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Great story, thanks! Smile
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
Bravo
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
939 Posts

Profile of Riley
Thanks for sharing this. Nice technique.

The purists will not like it, but "people management" is 90% of most escapes!

Well done Smile

Riley
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Brilliant! That's genius...everything worked out perfectly. By the way...nice shorts Smile.

Daniel
If it is to be, it is up to me.
Bretigan
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee
102 Posts

Profile of Bretigan
Very nice story. Glad it all worked out. Smile
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Thank you very much for your kind comments everyone. It was my pleasure.

~Rick~
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
If the purists don't like it that is their problem. Escapology does not have a set way or set rules for escaping, only that you need to escape by any means possible.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Shouldn`t that read entertain by any means possible!!
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Yes it should.
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
Don knows.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Looks like Don knows everything, especially with over 23 hundred, 2 to 5 word postings.

~Rick~
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Are you sure Rick and did you count all of my post's
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi Don, no not at all...the tally is under your name.

~Rick~
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Then how do you know that all of my postings are 2 to 5 word postings.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Don....nevermind buddy...

~Rick~
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Rick,

You're beating a dead horse there, though the rest understand.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
bnadworn
View Profile
Regular user
Western New York
131 Posts

Profile of bnadworn
Rick,

That was brilliant. I've used the "beer trick" a few times and it works well. A great story and thanks for sharing.

- Brian Nadworny
"They say the hand is quicker than the eye but I won't believe it until I see it."
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Lol Kevin... understood!

Thanks, Brain... I appreciate that.

~Rick~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » My Radio Challenge (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.4 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL