The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Stand UP Comedy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
How can one learn to do stand up comedy for a Magic Escape Act.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Alan Allen has a bit of a comedy piece just with movements while he is being tied up. Gets good laughs. While being tied up he gets pushed and pulled around as if he is almost off balance and assistants are taking great pleasure in binding him. Looks good.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
You can get some good comedy out of it , all you have to do is just think .

Things that come in mind are having real difficulty getting out, then you just tie yourself in a couple of seconds again (already done but still funny). Or you over boast about how easy it is, only to find it impossible in getting out and maybe you could use a spirit cabinet, get in it, funny things start to show up, like a chain saw and bits of rope flying about, only to open the curtian while shouting viola! And you discover that you are still tied. Finally after taking quite a long time you get out free of the ropes and say "see I told you it was easy".
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
dking66
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of dking66
The Straight Jacket, with crotch strap, has lots of built in comedy.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Dking66 what lines/jokes can be used for the crotch strap ?
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
There is no need to say anything, some people are boring just because they say too much, as they are tying the crotch strap, you can say very simple things, like carefull, carfull,easy, easy, don't bind it too tight or you might get a lawsuit from my wife (along with a couple of worried looks, should do the trick.)
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
bnadworn
View Profile
Regular user
Western New York
131 Posts

Profile of bnadworn
Watch other comedy escape acts. I have seen some hysterical ones. While you have one arm out you can pull many things out of your pockets and gags and then go back to struggling to get out.

I used to do an act where I get tied up with rope by the audience and then have them put my cape over my hands. I would then immediately take my hand and adjust the cape visibly and correct the volunteer on how to place the cape over my hands. I then ask them to check and make sure the ropes are tight. They would find my hands turning colors and the ropes were going into my wrists. Then repeat the gag again.

Be creative and try not to copy people but come up with your own flavor of things. Think of the most ridiculous part of doing escapes and bring that in to the act.
Questions to ask yourself:
Why would anyone want to get tied up in the first place?
What kind of person owns their own straight jacket?
What kind of volunteer from the audience wants to tie up the performer?
Why is it that I usually have to pay a woman to tie me up but when performing I get volunteers? (No scratch that question. I take it back)
You get the idea.
Have fun with it and the audience will too.

- Brian Nadworny
"They say the hand is quicker than the eye but I won't believe it until I see it."
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
My straight jacket routine seems to go over well.

I have used in in venues from Middle School Red Ribbon Assemblies to Plenary Presentions at a Conference for the National Council on Alcoholism.

Bringing my hand up with something musical to the top of the jacket (While the jacket is still buckled i.e. my harmonica, kazoo or ?????

can be funny moments.

As someone who was raised jewish I sometimes add a line,

Slowly, I am already Jewish.

Be safe and creative.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
bnadworn
View Profile
Regular user
Western New York
131 Posts

Profile of bnadworn
You could also think of the things that the audience does not want to hear for your escape:

- OK, we will meet at this same time next week I will be out of this.
- I am planning on escaping from this within 2 minutes. I planned it that way since I really have to go to the bathroom.
- (after struggling for some time) I bet this happens to you too at home.
- This is exciting for me too since this is my first time trying this.
- Pull copy of "Escapes for Dummies" or an instruction manual from a pocket and with one hand out the neck collar start reading it.
- Maybe you would rather see a card trick?

Don, I'm sure you will have them very entertained.

- Brian Nadworny
"They say the hand is quicker than the eye but I won't believe it until I see it."
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I did stand-up with escapes on open mike nights at a Funny Bone club.

I got laughs with the crotch strap on the SJ. I deliberately had the long strap in BACK and the buckle in FRONT, and had female volunteers.

Also did the instant escape with handcuffs behind the back with the expected byplay.

I opened with the steeltrap stunt:

"As you know, escape artist escape from various types of deadly traps; for instance (show trap).
"Hey, don't laugh, this is what I'm gonna try to get out of!
(demo trap with pencil)
"The animal steps into the trap; the jaws spring shut on the leg...not doing the leg a heckuva lotta good in the process.
(reset trap)"I will now attempt to ESCAPE after securing my hand in this steel leghold trap. Now, there is a problem associated with getting out of a trap of this kind (look at trap)...getting INTO a trap of this kind!"

(You then do the usual routine with all the stalling gags. When the hand is in the jaws, keep it still, to avoid the jaws drawing any tighter)

"That reminds me, I have a great deal of screaming and crying to catch up on later. Okay...now the ESCAPE!"

(Grab the spring with the free hand; DO NOT compress the spring. Then, JERK the clamped hand out of the jaws in one fluid motion. For more on how to do that properly, PM me.)

"I think I should get some applause for that one."

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Steve and Brian you both get applause for some wonderful ideas. Don,
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Simon Lovel does the BEST comedy (or otherwise) Straight Jacket Escape!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Stand UP Comedy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL