The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Cardini and others - finally have it. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
It is within L&L rights to do this. I am guessing that L&L, and Mr. Pellegino understand that Shane meant no harm here. They are simply following standard business practices concerning copyrighted material. Shane can seek permission to show this or any other video on his site using standard legal channels. I hope this does not turn into a personal attack on anyone, least of which L&L Publishing. L&L does not have to justify to anyone their view on bringing benefits to the magical community or how they should handle third party usage of copyrighted material.
Chris
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Folks, Perhaps they would be more amenable to these small video performance clips being hosted if;

1) permissions for hosting were granted beforehand
2) the clip would have a banner stating the copyright
3) the page liking the clip would have a clear statement of the source and permissions

Just a few suggestions on what can be discussed among those who wish to have clips online and those who wish to host the clips for display
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
I really doubt L&L was being nasty-tempered, Black Shadow. The problems with holding a copyright (or a patent) is that if you DON'T stop people from using your copyrighted (or patented) product without permission, you lose the copyright (or patent). National Periodical Publications almost lost their copyright (twice) to Superman, once because of this very thing. (And what a shame, since it would have been lost to Superman's creators.)

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Laban
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Laban
Shane Wiker

Great site, I loved it.

*Though I'd like to suggest, that you make a 'harder' password for the magicians section - just a suggestion Smile *
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Laban,

Thanks for the compliment. The reason I don't make the password harder is because I'm not looking to keep out newer magicians, I'm only trying to keep out laymen. I'm sure that most laymen won't know the answer, but most magicians will.

I'm still looking for more submissions; so if anyone has an article, video (Of themselves or someone else, as long as you know who owns it), or review, send it to mail@MagicShane.com

Thanks,
Shane Wiker
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
I never said L&L were being nasty tempered or did I say they weren't acting within their rights.

But I do believe in this situation when a low res clip has been posted on a bonafide website, that a sensible course of action which benefits the majority is to grant permission for it to be posted with a link and reference to that company's products which may feature it or related material such as L&L's C&B series by Ammar.

Instead, the standard course of action is to demand removal without, it seems, considering the above option. That would in fact negate the argument concerning possible loss of copyright, because then permission would have been given and the terms of that permission made clear.

Anyway, enough of that. That's my point of view and I'm sticking to it Smile

I like your site and how it's developing Shane. I would post on the board, but you need to register and its such a hassle regsitering for all these multiple boards. If you want a much better free message board system which is much more customisable/powerful than ezboards (eg you can have some forums for guest posting and others where you must register as well as all the hidden ones and ones where you need a minimum number of posts to see then I'd suggest http://www.proboards.com )

PW was very obvious to me, but a layman could find it in 10 secs using Google if he wanted. I'm not a fan of secret areas but if you do want to keep them more secure, you need a quiz system like the Learned Pig which has its many drawbacks too!
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Black Shadow,

I've tried several times over the last week, but the Pro Boards website seems to be down. Smile

Also, I just got an e-mail back, which said:

"I had Lance Burton look at the video and he feels that you run the risk of infringing on a copyright and prefers that you don't use it. The BBC filmed the Paul Daniels show some 22 years ago so unless you want to deal with the BBC and buy the rights it's not legal to use."

Sorry everyone, but it looks like I won't be able to use the Lance Burton video.

Oh well,
Shane Wiker
richardl
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of richardl
Wow!

Great videos!

The Norn Nielson and Cardini clips were amazing. Good job!

Keep up the good work Shane.

BTW, it must be pretty cool to know that Lance Burton went to your website. Smile

- Richard
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Thanks Richard,

Isn't it great to watch such amazing magicians?

Jonathan Townsend submitted a very deceptive video of his ball vanish.

Shane Wiker
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Cardini and others - finally have it. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL