The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Custom Creature Taxidermy and MART in the news... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Sarina Brewer of Custom Creature Taxidermy and MART (Minnesota Association of Rogue Taxidermists) is off to a flying start in the press this year. She is on the front page of the Arts section of the January 3, 2005, issue of the New York Times. She is also in the January Maxim and her local paper. Find the NYT yourself online (for free until January 10), here is a link to an online bit from Maxim, and here is her local paper.

It looks like a good year for weirdness!

Yours,

Paul
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Interesting,,,,your press is really cool,,,,over here it would have a D notice put on it, the RSPCA would be informed and the local Police would conviscate the lot,,,all the local do gooders would be writing to the editor and prayers would be offered up in all the Churches.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Kondini,

That would do a lot for ticket sales, so over here they let us alone unless we hire our own protesters.

Yours,

Paul
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1934 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
http://www.roguetaxidermy.com/

This link from the Maxim article is AWESOME!! It also has links to some of the artists - Holy Cow! Those are some twisted people, I love it.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Not to take away from their fabulous work (which it is) but for use in Grind Shows, Taxidermy is often seen by the spec as just that...taxidermy and sewing a couple of different animals together and fake. You can thank those stupid (as in STUPID!!!) Hoof-a-Boos or Jackalopes seen in most crappy diners and bars. Having shown all kinds of stuff...the LEAST reacted to with wonder and awe was the 'stuffed and gaffed' critters. (2nd least appreciated was Shrunken Heads).

I like 'em though!

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Doug,

It's true, you could never sew real stuff together that looks as weird as your Atomic Fish! And for the Pygmy Mummies, I don't want to think about what you'd have to use for taxidermy...real Pygmies from the depths of the Amazon Rainforest?

Yours,

Paul
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Yep...real Amazon Pygmies!!! Little buggers are fast though...have to throw a wide net.

I had some great ideas for taxidermy nightmares, I mean NIGHTMARES but never had them made...kind of glad I didn't.

When I had my big museum it was very interesting to watch what folks would just pass by with uninterested glances OR actually stop and look it over in puzzlement and curiosity.

I was always amazed that the Shrunken Human Heads gathered so little interest...then I realized...what's the big deal? They were hanging from rear view mirrors for years coast to coast and sold every halloween at K-Mart.
There was a huge and definitive exhibit here in San Diego of authentic Shrunken Heads as part of a big touring Mummy show at our great Anthropological Museum (Museum Of Man). Here were these fantastic objects...former HUMAN warrior heads shrunk to baseball size and folks just walked on by...exactly as they did in my museum and my side shows. "Ho-Hum...little head...seen it..."

The most incredible special objects on the planet recieve less of a glance than a rubber snake in the gift shop.

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1934 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Doug,

You are spot on. A lot of the creatures were not that impressive, I had to go through quite a few before I even found one that looked that good. But some of those links to some of the other twisted taxidermy like minks eating their own feet - criminey, those are bizarre!
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
oscarquella
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of oscarquella
I agree with you about the jackalope. I've only brought my collection out in the public once so far (I'm working on a still show), but people LOVED the gaffs. If you see Sarina's home page, the goat (her name is Nancy) that's at the "title screen" is mine. People seriously go ga-ga over that! (It's also adorable.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Custom Creature Taxidermy and MART in the news... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL