We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Repeating tricks (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Another tip - whether you are repeating the trick the same night or a week later, ask the spectators who've seen it before not to say what happens to everyone else at the climax of the trick (eg 'the card appeared in ashes on his arm')... explain that this is because its like knowing the punchline to a joke... the joke/trick are better enjoyed if you don't know what's coming.
mrsmiles
(UK)
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
The only time I repeat a trick is with children. When they say do it again, they are not trying to figure it out. They just want to be amazed again. THe same principle applies to their tv viewing habits. Any parent will tell you that little bobby has seen the movie "Cars" 200 times. They just like repetition. It makes them feel safe.
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
I nearly spit out my coffee when I read the "Cars" thing. I just got done spending 20 minutes looking for my 2 year olds "Lightning Mcqueen" car.
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
First, when someone asks you to do it again - take the complement - you did fool them! Then the answer as to repeat a trick or not is usually dependent upon the trick - any "multiple out" trick is out of the question. Many are repeatable without any real damage. I do agree with the above posters - either let some time elapse or do the trick using a different method.
vincentmusician
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
168 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
Luckily, there are Magic routines that can be repeated more than once without any problem. For example, The Invisible Deck. However, if you get someone asking to do that again and it is not repeatable, just tell them sure, but let me show you this first and do something different. If some one says can you show that to my friend or Relative, if it is repeatable say yes. If not, then give the previous answer. This works for me. Cheers!
Nikodemus
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
When you go to see a rock band, there is always an encore at the end. We expect it. It's become a ritual. Do you think the band are all backstage scratching their heads, trying to figure out what to play? Of course not! They have already planned for it. In fact very often they will hold back some of their best material.
My advice, would be to think the same way - always expect to be asked to do another one.
If someone wants you to show the same trick to someone else, take it as a compliment - it's because they are really impressed (not the same thing as asking you to do it again for themselves). BUT you don't have to do the same effect twice - it's your decision. So you could show their friend something else (maybe similar). Because you don't really want the original person to see it again (they will inevitably notice details you don't wan't them to).
I think this is how professional "table hoppers" work. They have several short "sets", so they can circulate never obviously repeating the same tricks.

Ultimately I think the crucial thing is to always perform on your own terms. Keep 'em wanting more. And don't risk exposure. I think they will appreciate you more.
I hope this helps!
(I am a hobbyist who spends much more time learning & practicing than performing at the moment.)
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9130 Posts

Profile of funsway
I always liked the approach:

“Do it again, why?
If it wasn’t magic I’ll do something else.
If it was magic for you, I can do something better.”
the Godfather (Vinnie)

which is why I disagree with the rock band analogy above. In a show, my object is to have my audience have a real experience of magic.
That is orchestrated with some effects more powerful than others, some providing acquitment for others,
and some seemingly in response to the audience enthusiasm. Often my routines have several branching options of later effects
based on what I learn of this audience along the way. So there is no possibility of a "encore."

When table hopping it is different. You may do another effect based on the group's appreciation of magic as much as any request.
But then I would never do the same or similar effect. If they want more, the get more. A repeat is never "more."

A third case is where the guy paying the bill (or his wife) request a certain magic effect. Then you might agree, but use a different Sleight or timing for the "remembered effect."

For me, the "more" they want and get is stronger magic. Any repeat is going the wrong direction. (so is doing "cover" tricks)
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
michaelpenkul
View Profile
New user
Toronto Canada
50 Posts

Profile of michaelpenkul
I simply state - "the first time you're impressed; the second time you're just trying to figure out how it's done" and I move on to something else
mightytimbo
View Profile
New user
Franklin Park, NJ
49 Posts

Profile of mightytimbo
The best advice I've been given on this point was to respond as though they are asking for more magic and show them another, different trick. This usually takes care of the "do it again" because if you do a few, the crowd is entertained. They may have moved on from their hang up on that initial trick (unless you just completely blew their minds and they can't get over it) and after spending a few more extra minutes with them, you can move on gracefully because you have done more with them. At some point they recognize it's rude to ask for more when you have already given several more minutes worth of presentation per their prompting.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3527 Posts

Profile of Julie
"...the Magicians Union, local # 666, only permits me to perform a miracle like this once every 24 hours...".

With a smile, of course. Smile

Julie
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9130 Posts

Profile of funsway
“Do it again, why?
If it wasn’t magic I’ll do something else.
If it was magic for you, I can do something better.”
the Godfather
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Russo
View Profile
Special user
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
945 Posts

Profile of Russo
'Do it again - do a trick(again)' - I've found when I ask for a 'coin' to do a 'trick' - then do the trick, I put the coin in MY pocket. They ask why-or for it. Then I tell them, 'this is how I support my Family' - usually they ask no more. LOL Ralph
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
58 Posts

Profile of Merodach
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2021, Julie wrote:
"...the Magicians Union, local # 666, only permits me to perform a miracle like this once every 24 hours...".

With a smile, of course. Smile

Julie

I also agree with most of the other magacians here regarding the "rinse and repeat" request. There are however exceptions, I have no reservations in repeating some close-up effects like the Crazy Man's Handcuffs. I'm sure there are other effects that fall into this category.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2343 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Do it again?
I would love to but I can only do it once in a row.
Andrew Aspen
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Andrew Aspen
What I usually say is “that would be boring. I already did that. Let me show you something else.” If someone is really pushy about it I just say “a magician never repeats the same trick” and they get the point.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Repeating tricks (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL