The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » The milk can almost took my life (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I always acknowledge Murphy's Law these days.
Even when I perform escapes that rely on slack or other methodology that bypasses the locks, I usually have the devices locked with Ian McColl's gaffed Lockwood padlocks...just in case.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
I have many quotes and one fits here very well

If it can go wrong, it will.

For both of you, god bless, are fine and I am glad you told me about this. I am a beginner and I need to know that I must control everything, and other people, to be safe. NOt just sometimes, but 100% of the time. I thank you, you might have saved my, or someones elses life. Thanks for sharing the great stories too!

Perry
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Yep, Murphy's Law:

Nothing is as easy as it looks;
Everything takes longer than you think and;
If anything can possibly go wrong, it will and at the worst possible moment.

Steve
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Mr. Silmser (I noticed on your site it's pronounced Simzer Smile), the escape from the milk can was great, but surviving through a time of probable brain damage as JoeJoe had daid or even death is a much better stunt.

Mr. McColl, same for you. It's amazing how long you stayed under water, though. I'm just glad you BOTH made it out alive and well.

Daniel
If it is to be, it is up to me.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi Daniel, Yes, the "L" in my last name is silent and the last "S" is pronounced as a "Z". It's a wierd German name. Thank you also for your kind words.

~Rick~
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Daniel, The time was calculated by my father who as I said wasn't paying attention enough. As to brain damage who knows, ask around some will tell you have it , other's not. I have seen the worst case in at least one escape artist who drowned while in a burlap (?) bag thrown off a bridge into a river. He was revived at hospital and never was the same. He passed away within the last few years and I am bnot sure if it had anoything to do with his current condition. I think death would be easier than a life time of knowing what you were like prior to a miscalculated error and leaving one with an irreversible condition.

The warnings are there like everything and all we have to do is take notice.
No-one can say they didn't know.

Take care out there but when your time is up, It's up.

Ian
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
If you hunt about you will find a version I created that is 100% fool proof and examinable at the end.

Easy to build too.

I created it because one night my crew forgot to switch out the thayer gimmicked lid for the real one, and I was locked in the can for real.

I too had to break it to get out.

Not fun.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Thanks for the Stories Guys. I am glad you are still here to tell the tales. Now you know why I do not do Can Escapes. Thank heavens, I have not had a failed escape yet (knock on wood). But I have done escapes where I have fallen and broken bones. Not a good thing to esxperience. NOTE TO BEGINNERS: Please make sure you read these stories and take note of them. They can save your life. Escapology IS dangerous!

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Of Course if one does a Can Escape and can't get out does the EA get Canned ?
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Har Har. Don.
Wolflock
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I'm sorry folks I couldn't resist but these stories go to show you to be careful.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Never had a water mishap.
Did have a minor complication with my first performance of the Iron Maiden escape. My jacket got a bit shredded.

Steve
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Dr Just Glad that your ok and still here.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Well, since we're spilling the beans, here's my own small donation to this series.

A few summers ago I was bookied into a smallish city street festival here in Austria. (Maybe I should say that I am a full-time street and festival busker.) My agreement included a few street escapes and one underwater showing. Trouble was, the only water within the city limits was a decorative pond near the town hall. The kind with lilly pads all around, a few ducks, and a nice spraying fountain in the middle.

Because of the underwater show I came to town maybe 2 weeks in advance to scope everything out, and saw the pond for the first time. It wasn't deep enough. The main thing was that the sides of the pond were sloped very gradually towards center; no steeply dropping sides. So, only the VERY center, near the fountain, was suitable.

They really wanted the escape and were willing to pay for it. For example, I came up with a design for a long wooden walkway that could get me to the correct location. They built it no questions asked. It was 2 feet wide, and approx. 25 feet long. It was so long and heavy, that it required 3 tons for a counterbalance.

Escape night. I said that right. It was a night show, and the whole pond area was lit up with search lights. The water was reflecting muddy and black. Being the last event of the festival, literally the entire town and its visitors were lining the fences all around the pond. Seven or 8 thousand people, at least. I got video.

The volunteers began chaining me up. The 2 head bugermeisters -- town leaders -- had been tapped for the honor, and so it went. But it didn't take long for me to notice these men had been at the festival for some... entertainment. Of course (head slap)!! They have been officiating all day long... at an Austrian summer festival. Can anyone say "Octoberfest"? They were loaded.

By the time they had interjected all their rebald humor and stumbling and bumbling into my normally well-timed routine, my hands were cold from lack of circulation, and the wrist nerve points were giving off that weird tingly sensation. (Can anyone relate out there?)

To make a long story short, it's a very good thing a rescue diver was present. (I always insist anyway. You never know...) After being pulled from the water -- in a most undignified manner (I got video) -- I was rushed to the hospital. (I didn't feel the need. In fact, I was prepared to warm back up and finish the job.) In the emergency room the examination included an EKG; my first. The doctor circled a small area on the ticker-tape and said, "You're in perfect health, except for this area circled on the EKG tape. It shows high stress against your heart." I said, "Would it matter if I told you that just 30 minutes ago I was pulled from the water after a failed escape attempt?" The look in his eyes was priceless. "Yes... that could explain it."
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Hey Chance. I can relate to the feeling. I have had many people bind me that it cut off blood circulation and due to time taken to bind me. I had VERY little feeling left in my fingers. It is very difficult to get out in that situation. If anyone has some suggestion as to that kind of situation, please PM me.

Hey Chance. We do not have any EA's for Austria yet for the WEAR Challenge I don't think. Care to enter the Challenge?

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Wolfie I think there might be but. the more the merrier to.
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
How much is an aqua tank new or used?
ive been thinking about one for my shows
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
How big of a tank are you looking for ?
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

If you're talking a finished, glass-sided tank (not building one from scratch) you are probably talking a few thousand dollars USA.
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
Does the glass and betal one work on different methods of escaping???

and does the glass one have a cloth covered over it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » The milk can almost took my life (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL