The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Steve Baker - MR. ESCAPE (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi folks, FYI...for you Steve Baker-MR.ESCAPE fans, he has finally released DVD's of his fantastic escapes. Not only are they great entertainment, but for those of you who are quick to think, there could be some good ideas there as well.

I remember watching MR.ESCAPE on "Thats incredable" when I was a teenager. MR.ESCAPE was chained hand and foot (spread eagle) to the side of an old car. At a given cue, another car started speeding toward Steve, and he just....just escaped with enough time to leap out of the way.

They showed it in slow motion as he dove out of harms way and that slow motion image has haunted my mind since then.

For those of you who are too young to know who MR.ESCAPE is...he is probably the best thing to happen to modern escapes since sliced bread. At the time of his first appearence on the escape scene, the art of escapology was in a very deep, dark, closet and it was Steve Baker who single handedly brought it out of the dark and took it to television, so he is a pioneer in that sence as well.

A lot of us E.A.'s were probably influenced by MR.ESCAPE and a lot of us would probably not be in the biz, had it not been for Steve Baker bringing it back to life the same way Doug Henning brought magic back to life back in the 70's.

From what I hear through the grapevine, MR.ESCAPE will be at the Cannon's escape convention this year in Ontario, Calif. to lecture and has a few "suprises", should be interesting. Steve Baker is, in the world of modern escapes, a measuring stick, an inventor, explorer and performer as well as a very cool man. Check out his website at http://www.mrescape.com

~Rick~
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Mr. Baker was also Dick Clark Live. on ABC.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Don, Hi...yes MR. ESCAPE was on Dick Clark many times and I do believe a few of his appearences on D.C. are on the new DVD Steve has for offer.

~Rick~
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Rick you are Correct.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I first saw Mr. Escape on the premier episode of DC-Live, and made it a point to catch it every week for its run.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Yes,
I share those memories with you! Three cheers for Mr. Baker!

-Ed
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
So did I i loved watching them but why did DC Live Stop ?
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Because Fred Silverman, in his incomprehensible logic, decided to CANCEL the ENTIRE NBC Fall lineup!

Steve
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
The first time I saw Steve Baker was on some TV show but for the life of me I don't recall which one. I do remember seeing him do several escapes but the one that took my breath away was when he was chained to the side of a car. In the distance was another vehichle that would come barrelling towards the car that Steve was chained to and would crash into the vehicle. It took 10 seconds for the speeding car to reach Steve and he jumps out just in the nick of time. And that doesn't even describe it well enough because watching it, you'd swear he jumped too late. It's hair raising.
And there is a presentation of it on the DVD that he sells.

From what Steve has said, there was another later version of that same routine. All his routines evolved over time and become even more breathtaking.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi Carnegie, nice to meet you. That was the first escape I saw Mr.Baker do as well, I think I was 16 or 17 and that actually is when my interest in his carreer took off. When you saw his name, you knew that he was going to do something new and something dangerious and the thought always enterd my mind as to "why" he'd put his life in danger...but Steve Baker being Steve Baker would probably say..."because I can" !!

~Rick~
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
Just read the latest story from Steve's website. It's a story of an escape from the mouth of a cannon.
Check it out it's a cool story.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Oh I already have, Steve is a pretty inventive guy, there aren't too many around today with Mr. Escapes flare. I loved the part where Steve said he cut the fuse in half at the begining of his second canon escape. You have to admit, the man has brass !

~Rick~
Viano
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Viano
The Mr. Escape DVD is a collectors item. I have done escapes for a long time, but I have never even considered attempting some of the things like he did routinely. His timing is superb. When he jumps free of the exploding car and you see him midair when the explosion occurs, it is truly breath-taking. Frame-by-frame on the DVD, it is even more amazing.

Then, just as Copperfield dazzled people by sticking a pencil through a dollar bill, Mr. Escape blew away a Dick Clark audience with a wrist tie routine. He is a consummate performer who understands how to entertain.
Rich
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Just about anything is a collectors item. just be sure it stays limited.
Viano
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Viano
You are correct Donster. A better choice of words would have been “for the connoisseur”. What I was trying to say (and didn’t) is that those who appreciate showmanship and spectacular escapes will enjoy this DVD. It is fun to watch. However, there is not much on this DVD that I would consider putting into my act. I don’t have Steve’s cauhonies.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

My fave is still the coffin box rammed by the truck (with or without dynamite).

Steve
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I beleive the first one I seen was the water torture cell.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Steve Baker - MR. ESCAPE (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL