We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Effects you miss (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13772 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Anybody here have some effects that you used to have, but have lost or ruined, and can no longer get them anywhere, but you miss them sorely?

I have at least a couple. I miss my "thimble Full Of salt" that I purchased from tannen's YEARS and years ago. Back in the seventies. It was a miniature version of the rice bowls, using thimbles and salt, and water. Carried it around in my pocket. Very magical, especialy when the salt turns into water. I miss that one dearly.

Also, I miss my original "Moon Rock" effect that I also got from Tannen's. (Piece of moon rock turns into a hunk of green cheese.)

And one more that I loved was the effect where a signed card is vanished and appears moments later NAILED to a solid block of wood. Spectators have to tear it from the nail to get it loose. And the nails is at least six inches and in the wood VERY deep! Spectators can't get the nail out because it is really pounded in the wood. I miss that one so much.

So many others I miss. Anybody here have one of these long lost friends?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Martin vanishing birdcage. Martin poker size rising card deck. Martin coin shooter. Martin Card Fan producing holdout.

Oh to have those back... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13772 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
If you are anything like me, Pete, you have probably tried a fruitless internet search. But, we must NOT give up. Somewhere in the world someone HAS these items. It's just a matter of luck and connecting.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I know who has all of my collection. Dr. Albo and Johnny Gaughan. Had there not been a divorce, I'd still have them all.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13772 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I wanted to ask you more about that post, but decided it might not be polite.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2005-01-07 21:46, daffydoug wrote:
Anybody here have some effects that you used to have, but have lost or ruined, and can no longer get them anywhere, but you miss them sorely?

I have at least a couple. I miss my "thimble Full Of salt" that I purchased from tannen's YEARS and years ago. Back in the seventies. It was a miniature version of the rice bowls, using thimbles and salt, and water. Carried it around in my pocket. Very magical, especialy when the salt turns into water. I miss that one dearly.

Also, I miss my original "Moon Rock" effect that I also got from Tannen's. (Piece of moon rock turns into a hunk of green cheese.)

And one more that I loved was the effect where a signed card is vanished and appears moments later NAILED to a solid block of wood. Spectators have to tear it from the nail to get it loose. And the nails is at least six inches and in the wood VERY deep! Spectators can't get the nail out because it is really pounded in the wood. I miss that one so much.

So many others I miss. Anybody here have one of these long lost friends?

Yes, I had the thimble version of rice bowls in the early seventies, it was put out by Supreme but Tannen's ripped it.

The nail and block of wood I had too. That was created by Geoff Ray, who is still around. Of course, not sure whether he still makes these or not. Geoff had a karate themed presentation for it (he was a black belt I believe.) Great close up card man and also a very polished manipulation act, though getting on in years now. Nice guy.

Paul.
Comedy and then the magic
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
65 Posts

Profile of Comedy and then the magic
Daffy doug, I do not know if your aware but the moon rock to cheese effect they do sell on hocus pocus...... hopefully I brightened your day.
"Always Make It Magic Plus Laughs" - R.I.P. Mark Hendrickson
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3388 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I was going through some "packed for the move" boxes and found my "Thimble Full of Salt". I almost forgot that I had that. Guess what's going back into one of the close-up sets?

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
For me, it's the method that I miss. The effect is still readily available...Glorpy. But, a number of years ago, there was a thing called Gollywog that was a glorpy-like effect, but you didn't have to have any contact with the handkerchief at all. It really gave the impression that something was moving around under the hank. It was inexpensive, very low tech, and looked great. I really do miss it and my efforts to recreate it myself have been unsuccessful. If someone could produce it today, I think it would be a real seller.
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
I would love to be able to find a well made Swami gimmick. Connie Haden must have taken the secret to his grave.

Ed Hutchison
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

Home Page: http://www.ERHutchison.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7340 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
George Kirkendall made a pretty good under nail version. And the guy that helped him make them is still alive and well in Florida. I talked to him last year at Gatlinburg and he mentioned that he might mark up some more of them. I think they would sell well.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24210 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I had a Connie Hayden nailwriter that I gave to George so he could duplicate it. He sent me one of his own, but never returned the Hayden. Dern!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Check out STeven's magic for the Swami...I have one. Very nice!
Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Effects you miss (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL