The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Christian Illusionist. Your thoughts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Magicmatt1982
View Profile
Loyal user
Southeren IL
295 Posts

Profile of Magicmatt1982
Hello my name is Matthew Hampel. I am a Christian illusionist.
I am here just to ask you your thoughts. Do you like them or, if not, why not? You will not tick me off or anything. I am just wanting to know.
You Bro In Magic
Matthew Hampel
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
If you are using your magic to spread the word of God...There can't possibly be anything wrong with that!

God Bless
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-01-08 13:41, Magicmatt1982 wrote:
Hello My name is Matthew Hampel. I am a christian illusionist.
I am here just to ask you your thoughts. Do you like them or, if not, why not? You will not tick me off or anything. I am just wanting to know.
You Bro In Magic
Matthew Hampel

I think you ought to learn how to spell "Christian," if you plan to put it on your business cards.

Regarding liking or not liking illusionists who promote Christianity -- well, I like Andre Kole. Some people don't. But you need to know what you are going to see when you go to one of his shows. Every time he is booked for a magic convention, there are complaints. It seems the bookers forget about the complaints from the last time he was booked. I figure that if you don't know what Andre's show is about, you haven't been paying attention.

If you are serious about this, then remember that what you are doing is very similar to trade show magic.

It's a different product, though.

And it belongs in the Gospel magic forum.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
HMote
View Profile
New user
US
16 Posts

Profile of HMote
I think your in the right place bro. but you do need to mention something about stage illusions. What stage illusions do you do with a message? Or do you just incorporate the message in the end? Or do you do it with stand-up effects? Kirby Van Birch and a few others just do a little message at the end of the show to end, which I think is great and it doesn't force the message on people. Instead it just possibly make them think about things...is this what you are talking about? If you show focuses more on the message rathen than just putting it at the end or in a couple effects, then I would think you would have a good market in performing for youth rallys and summer camps. I don't do a whole christian show, but do have a few effects (stand-up) that incorporate a message. I wouldn't consider myself a chritian illusionist though...although I am a christian and do perfor illusions, hehe. BP does give good advice though, you might want to place a post over on the Gospel magic forum...a post can be useful to more than on group of people. Plus you are marketing a product and do keep that in mind...Good luck!
Heath
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
I think that as long as you make clear your intentions before the show it should go over well. The only thing I would be weary about (as a spectator) is having the show go from a magic show...to a TV evangelist (pardon my bad spelling). There needs to be a proper balance between magic, and faith. Knowing that your entire audience is not going to be of the same faith you have to balance out the entertainment and the 'message', in order to please everyone at the show.

Magically yours,

Matt Kielbiski
Quick Change Artist
Magicmatt1982
View Profile
Loyal user
Southeren IL
295 Posts

Profile of Magicmatt1982
Answer to all of your questions. When I go into a church or something like that it is clear who I am and what I will be doing. I saw kirby and did not like him at all. But from the very begining of the show there is a message right up to the end. I start the show with andrew maynes spector cabnet and I love it and it goes over well. I feel it puts into the heads of the spectators this guy knows what he is doing and it grabs them from the beginging. I want to thank you all for you thoughts. and pmme sometime I would love to talk more about this.
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
I have a great book that you would like called gospel magic, and it uses some of the props you already have and conducts them into gospel presentations. very very good. I, myself, am a christian and have done a lot of church shows around the areas. Two tricks you NEED to get for gospel magic. The Cross by Dean Dill (yes Dean Dill is a christian), its a great litle trick about god's love and probably be done about the attributes of God. The best trick I have ever gotten is the three ball illustration from Andre Kole's website. It's awesome. Its a perfect Gospel presentation about removing the sin from your life to be able to get to God. Its awesomne, highly reccomended. Feel free to PM me, then I will give you my phone number and we can chat more in detail. See ya
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Just about any effect or illusion can be done in a Christian theme. The question is: What is your message?

Your illusion should illustrate the message, not overpower or confuse it. A mistake many make is to be a "magician first" and show "skills", rather than put forth your message. The Christian story is a simple one, and has many aspects that one could illustrate using illusion and magic. But the magic should be the "tool", not the point of focus...

I hope that helps!

Doug
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
'Christian Illusionists' or 'magi-ministers' Give me the creeps - just my opinion, you asked for it and I gave it.
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
340 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
There are two kinds-the majority-who are okay to poor magicians who use it as a gimmick to illustrate the Gospel. C'mon, God is more powerful than the d** tube that changes the dirty sinful handkerchief into the white clean one-and salvation is far more complex, personal, and dynamic than that. On the other hand, when I saw Andre Kole, he did a top-notch illusion show, then came in front of the curtains and told us, "I would like to tell you about soemthing more important to me than magic...my relationship with God." He did first-class magic and shared his personal experience of faith. I liked Kole. Now here is a third alternative I have never seen anyone else do, but done a little dablbing with myself-BIZARRE CHRSTIAN MAGIC. Using the magic, not illustratively, but in a narrative, as bizarre magic does, can create a powerful moment. After all, Eugene Burger did study in seminary himself.
David
Majiloon
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Majiloon
I don’t know- but the term Christian Illusionist- or Christian magician, has always been a misnomer to me- like a Christian plumber- huh?!

It’s akin to saying -- heterosexual horse Jockey—So you’re a Christian- prove it by your ethics and behavior, but do the gosh darn illusion show and entertain me.

The gospel by its very nature is supposed to offend people- if it doesn’t – it’s not being presented properly. So if you’re being paid to do an illusion show- people are thinking- yeah- entertainment. Ask those republicans who went to see Barbara Streisand last October- many of them walked out because they got a half hour of Michael Moore anti-Bush propaganda-

The bible says that they will know you by your fruit- not the horn you toot, or by the sticker on you truck. After Baptism, -- sponge balls, or linking rings- are not promised as one of ‘the gifts’. If you market an entertainment show with the gospel, you reduce God to a slogan or a forced message of the gospel with magic hardware.

It is a very serious thing to consider, In order to convey a Gospel story in a magical illustration, you must take GREAT CARE- so as not come across as anything but disingenuous. You diminish God, and in affect insult him, even mock him.

I see this all the time—Christians thinking that they have this calling- to get up on stage and spread the news--- hey I am a semi celebrity- with a truck load of magical apparatus- now I can lead people to Christ… after all- I have a captive audience… Yeah right Barbara! Some will walk out saying- the only illusion he did, was to trick me into coming here.

Shaken your tree yet? – Trust me on this- I have been grappling with this subject for 25 years, and I am just now getting it after several thousand tries… In the end- this thing called Christianity is a very personal thing, and people want to see you on the inside--- not the stuff your lugging around on the outside. In order to compel people theatrically with YOUR story of spiritual transformation- you need many years of insight and application of the finer arts to know how to compel people with your story with a magical touch. Moreover, this is a display of intimacy that requires maturity to accomplish.

If you aren’t there yet- I suggest that you reflect a work ethic and display love for your audiences and entertain them; do so long and well enough until people start getting the idea that you must be led by God inwardly first. If your still in the business by then. This is how we are called in our everyday life with all who come in contact with us.

Cheers,
Kelly Duro
No longer taking Private messages , thank you.
davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
340 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
Kelly Duro is on target.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow!
Well said Kelly! I guess that says it all. Thank you for that insight! This Café ROCKS! Smile

Doug
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Go Kelly!
-Ed
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Brilliant, Kelly. Absolutely brilliant! My personal opinion only, of course!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
Well, I *am* a clergyman - a Lutheran pastor - and I agree with Kelly 110%. Wish I could have said it that well myself. I have no urge to interject my faith into my magic. I just cannot understand why some do. Sure, I know, they want to "share" their faith. Well, that has about as much effect as the guy on the streetcorner with the sign that says 'Repent The End Is Near'. It trivializes God. I'd like every Christian illusionist to think on this - how patient would you be if a Jewish or Muslim magician got up and started interjecting their beliefs into their magic. I bet you would be rather put off.

When I preach, I preach. When I do magic, I do magic. I don't mix the two. Preaching is too important to be diluted with cheap magician tricks no matter how skilled. God does not need magic to validate His Word. In fact, I get a little impatient when the untrained start preaching when they do magic. I did not spend 4 years in college and 4 in seminary to watch an amateur bungle the message and the magic. I would say this to any aspiring Christian magician or illusionist - Do the magic well, live in love and be ready to answer others for the reason of the hope you have and so honor God truly. And if you feel so called to preach, go to the seminary, get ordained and find a pulpit.

Rant finished.
Kevin

I need to qualify what I wrote above. I was presuming that such Christian oriented magic was being presented to a public audience in a general setting. If, on the other hand, it is done with a Sunday School or Church group to illustrate object lessons and the like, well that is another story altogether and for such I would say go do it and enjoy. My remarks, and as I read them, Kelly's are presuming a general, public audience.
Kevin
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Winks...
thanks for sharing your thoughts here. One question I have...
Does your stance on using magic to reach people in a public setting also go out to say musicians. Should one that plays "Christian" music also need to go to seminary first. Should they play music only? and not share thier faith on stage? Should they not sing about Christ?

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
HMote
View Profile
New user
US
16 Posts

Profile of HMote
Quote:
On 2005-01-22 19:55, Majiloon wrote:
...The gospel by its very nature is supposed to offend people- if it doesn’t – it’s not being presented properly. So if you’re being paid to do an illusion show- people are thinking- yeah- entertainment. Ask those republicans who went to see Barbara Streisand last October- many of them walked out because they got a half hour of Michael Moore anti-Bush propaganda-...
Cheers,
Kelly Duro

I don't think there is anything wrong with telling someone you are a christian. I also don't believe that people are converted by going to a magic show. KVB just ends with a message about God's love while doing gypsy thread and it's a great effect with a great story, which in return gives good entertainment. I see nothing wrong with it and didn't see anyone walk out. Sure, I preach by the way I work/walk/talk everyday, but telling a story about God in an effect that fits is not preaching. I won't get up and do sub-trunk and tell about how Jesus rose from the tomb, lol, but if the story fits...use it. It's called presentation skills...some have it and some don't.
Heath

Btw...good point Kevin.
Heath
Majiloon
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Majiloon
Kevin-

I think that musicians in church functions have a precedent in the bible as those who have participated in several places, even described as being in the presence of God in heaven.

But this is a common argument for other –so-called entertainers. I think it is a stretch to assume that Magicians should be included in the same bunch as the church musicians as described in the bible. This is off subject and the argument of musicians does not justify magicians in the same light as those who would lead in essential elements of worship.

I think you would be better off having a discussion with Amy Grant, and ask her personally what she thinks about the separation she has applied to her work and ministry throughout her career.

Is worship then- entertainment? No- it is a function of surrender and intimacy within worship- and not to be confused with the carnal desires of an audience while being entertained.

Cheers,
Kelly Duro
No longer taking Private messages , thank you.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Kelly....I was not refering to musicians playing in a church service. I am talking about a Christian music artist, performing in ticketed public venues.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Christian Illusionist. Your thoughts (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL