We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizzare magic for street (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

manoj
View Profile
Regular user
INDIA
120 Posts

Profile of manoj
I know this must have been asked a DOZEN times but can you all kindly answer it one more time??
I am a closeup magician who wants to get into "BIZZARE MAGIK" and was looking for advices regarding the effecs, books and videos.

Basically what I am looking for is
..:: something that can be done on streets/restaurants
..:: something that can make the audience SCREAM their lungs out,
..:: something to do with bugs (like we had in THEM)
..:: something that has to do with body parts

So, can you all PLEASE guide me to where in I can get these kindda stuffs.

Thanks a lot
manu
CLICK-Capture the future // RELEASED
UNSEEN-Signed card to spectator's hand // RELEASED
The Manoj Linking Pins // RELEASED!
The Manoj Candle // RELEASED!
The Manoj Bottle // RELEASED!

VISIT!

www.manojkaushal.com

www.9780design.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's about the presentation. From Okito's voodoo doll to the haunted matchbox... even the simplest tricks can be presented with bizarre content.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
manoj
View Profile
Regular user
INDIA
120 Posts

Profile of manoj
Agreed. . . .

Presentation is a major ingredient of any magic act, but that is something I can work on myself. So apart from presentation and practice can you give me some advice on the effects that I can go for.

Like said earlier, I was looking for something that looks BIZZARE and I mean REALLLLLYYYY BIZZARE!!!

Something that doesn't need a story line to go with it. Something that looks BIZZARE by itself. let me put an eg. something like "eye-pop" or something like was done in the TV special "THEM" where the flys came out of that guys mouth. Something like that.

It was kindda my need to find this kindda effects.

manu

VISIT!

www.manojkaushal.com

www.9780design.com
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Oh boy. . .tough one. . . being involved with both my initial reaction is "don't do it". On the street you don't have a lot of time to do slow, deliberate story build up. Then I read your question again. Do mean bizarre in a traditional way or do you mean more like geek stuff. Geek stuff can work with the right crowd. . .or scare them away before you can collect a hat. But if that's what you're looking for Swami/Mantra (the bound volume) might be a good place to start. . .or maybe Andrew Mayne's stuff.

IThe other source you might check out, in the more traditional vein, seeing as he was involved in both, is Tony Shiels . . .in particular "Bizarre" which has a chapter on when he was doing a lot of busking.

Good luck.
Mark
What would Wavy do?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What seems bizarre in one context may be trivial in another. The flies thing would mean nothing if done in a genetics lab among those who work with flies.

The key is to find stuff that looks out of place and strange where YOU are. Here's a thought, walk into a Burger King order a Whopper, but when you open the box, find a Big Mac. Context is the key. Can you describe your context so we can make some suggestions?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
manoj
View Profile
Regular user
INDIA
120 Posts

Profile of manoj
Oops.....sorry.

Geek stuff is the appropriate word and ya that's wat I am looking for. Something that can SCARE the spec to death.

I am already searching for Swami/Mantra. Thx a lot lastnitesfun!!

Anyone else would like to drop some more suggestions???

thx
manu

VISIT!

www.manojkaushal.com

www.9780design.com
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
In the "essence of scary" here are my thoughts....

geeky:

Needle thru arm( IF you can carry it around it is amazing,I DO)
anything from

arlenstudio.com

Knife thru arm by the amazing jonathan. However get the real deal. Its expensive!

Bizarre that contains its essence and is practical in my opinion:

Loops(Do haunted pack if you can borrow a pack even better! move some silverware) and then do some auctual bends.That freaks people out.
Levitating.....
Coin Bite....
Ashes in arm...
Iron Garrote.

yeah it is in the presentation.

I use "CARDTOON" as one of my favorites and it freaks people out so much they either scream or don't even ask if it is a gaff deck!!!!which in my opinion is crazy......

same thing with invisible deck.

Agree with everyone here..presentation is everything. Say some geeky stuff and ur set.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Let's be clear...

Are you looking for Geek magic or Bizarre Magick?

Sounds like you are looking for more Geek Magic - you might like Swami/Mantra published by Richard Kaufman. It's not all completely accurate but it has some entertaining stuff.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Geek Magic:
DVDs
Thomas Medina - Geek Magic (duh)
Andrew Mayne - Shock FX

Books
Swami Mantra

Bizzare:
Eugene Burger - Chicago Tapes (has a dark theme to the stuff) - ITs a DVD not Tape Smile

Hope this helps Smile
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Sheherazade by borodin might inspire you! it surely did inspire me -notice, it's not for walking around but I am pretty sure you can manage to get something out of it , I know I did!

and here's a little routine I do (thank you Xpert!) imagine this you take a handful of coins, spectator marks one of them, everything is placed in the spectator's, he closes his fist, and he can feel something MOVING inside his hand, and when he opens his hand he finds the marked coin bent! people are usually speechless! and best of all EVERYTHING can be examined!

or have a small chat about spirits, take a piece of paper, draw a "pentagram" or whatever "spooky" figure, just lay it on the spectator's hand, ask him to imagine a white light circling his hand....and mysteriously the paper or whatever "shape" starts floating once he removes his hand...

hope this helps! pm if you need help!
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Fundamentalist or convervative Christians are likely to be freaked out by anything that seems to be related to witchcraft or pacts with the devil. Blood and guts are not necessary for them.

I did Brother Shadow's Pick a Sin at the I.B.M. convention in Kansas City as a walkaround at tables. It bothered one magician so much that I got a page objecting to it on his blog. (Of course, I regarded this as a success.)

Swami/Mantra has many good ideas in it, but some of the material is incomplete or erroneous. Todd Robbins is a recognized expert in this field. He has taught seminars in the past.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
manoj
View Profile
Regular user
INDIA
120 Posts

Profile of manoj
Thx a lot for the suggestions everyone.

One more thing can you suggest me any effect where in BUGS are involved?? Something like BUGS coming outta the spectator's soda.....or something like that. I believe BUGS gets reaction.

Thx a LOT again
manu

VISIT!

www.manojkaushal.com

www.9780design.com
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Well, david blaine did a flie resurrection,it was "dead" on the windshield of car (correct me if I am wrong) he closed his hands around it, opened it and it came back to life and flew away (nice trick,easy to do,something we experimented on back at school!)...or you might wanna go with The web by jim pace (never tried it, so cant really tell,does involve a spider I guess)

hope this helps!
georgie
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
Hey manoj why not try a flea circus.......
manoj
View Profile
Regular user
INDIA
120 Posts

Profile of manoj
Flea circus??? Dunno wat that is...sinnead zenun!!

Fly Resurrection. . . .nah not creepy enough

Web. . . . .Scares the HELL out of ladies (love it). pkg, go ahead and buy it.

Any other crepy BUG effects???

manoj

VISIT!

www.manojkaushal.com

www.9780design.com
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Flea circus (incorporated with "Glorpy") can be quite hilarious and bizarre. Also try the voodoo finger blister effect. That one, when played out well is really freaky.
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Adrian Deery
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Adrian Deery
Hello I was browsing the posts and noticed your question hope this helps. A great book for you to start with would be Rick Maue's Book of Haunted Magic (availible at http://www.deceptionsunlimited.com). It is filled with routines that are well suited for close up situations and also more importantly are the essays and thinking behind the effects that Rick writes about. This should definately be in your library if you are attemting to perform close up bizarre magic. Also anything written by Eugene Burger is also a must own. Eugene frequently performs in close up situations and he also does bizarre effects.

Also you had mentioned wanting to use bugs and body parts in your close up/ restaurant act. These are really great ideas but my question to you is would they work 100% of the time, can the effects instantly reset, can they be performed surrounded, do the effects make a mess, etc.... In a street magic setting you could do a lot of what you want to perform, but as far restaurants are concerned this where you hit a road block. What most close up/restaurant performers fail to understand is that a restuarants first and foremost goal is to sell food. Not to showcase there performances. Most people go to a restuarant for the food,enviroment,and service, usaully not to watch a magic performance. Now I know there are some performers where this is the exception but for most of the vast majority this is not the norm. Performers magicians,singers/bands,etc... are then hired by these places to help enhance the dining enviroment/experience for there guests. So if you are serious about performing in these places first think about the enviroment you will be performing in and then go from there as far as building up your material. Also a scream is a powerful reaction from an audience member, but when you leave them in awe of what they have just witnessed. That my friend screams in volumes. Hopes this helps.

Sincerely

"CARPE NOCTEM"

Adrian Deery
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
The impact of Bizarre on the street will not be as strong as in private. The old adage "There's strength in numbers." certainly applies for spectactors. In a group setting, a spectator feels much more safe than when they are alone. The result is they will feel artificially emboldened and able to laugh off, as a group, things that would otherwise be deeply impactful. This is not to say you can't get strong reactions, you can. But not at the tone and deep level you can in private with a limited audience.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizzare magic for street (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL