We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Icons of escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
In Card Magic there was Vernon and Marlo. In Manipulation Magic there was Cardini. Dove Magic there was Channing Pollack. Illusion Magic you had Thurston, Blackstone, Kellar, Henning and more. In escapes you had Houdini.

I believe we need to revise the list of escape icons and ad Steve Baker/Mr.Escape and Norm Bigelow to the mix. Their contributions to the art are enourmous both on the stage and behind the scenes.

Can you think of anyone else that would fit? I was considering performers, who have retired or passed on, that have been inspirational to the world of escapes. Modern Day working performers though popular, don't count, at least not yet.
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
James Todd, aka "The Great Toddini". One of the greatest jailbreaking Canadian escape artists ever and very possibly one of the most skilled EA's of all time bar any country of origin.

S.S.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Since your making a list:

Alex Sandrini
Joe Brady
Carleete
La Hovery
Envoy Hutton
Leon Hormoni
The Great Alvin
Percy Abbott
The Great Reno
Hinie man of mystery
The Great Van Tone
Excello
And of course Harry, Oudini and the other carbon copies of Harry.

The Bakers and Bigelows are relative newcomers compared to these, and although they are great in their own arenas, they don't share the common thread of 'being dead.' No doubt they should join the list at the time of their demise though.

This is the very start of the list when you are comparing to the Thurstons, Blackstones, and Kellars and so on.

Well, now you know, I have been doing my homework over the last few years.

From the list above, we need to add folks like Toddini and other national and regional greats and I'm sure many more that language translation has been a problem in gaining information about.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Hi Mike,

I imagine you know, that I have a great many promotional materials from these very people in The Escaporium collection.

Perhaps that is the very source for the above listed names.

I would also like to add the name of "Dan the Great", the only vintage African American escape performer I personally have ever heard of.

We have one pic of him and also two of his playbills. Judging from his printed promotional material, he seems to have been a very diverse and unique performer indeed!

Of course, were people to get along better here and network in an atmosphere of respect, the names and histories of these long gone performers would probably have been more readilly shared by now.

Steve Santini
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Hi Steve,

I didn't know you had this type of material , let alone having displayed it. I regret very much not seeing the collection first hand, but it has been a trade off between having either themoney or the time.

I could not remember Dan, but should have as he was an important performer of the time period. I also forgot Mariano Palhinha, Lee Jacobs, and John Novak.
Although of those only Mariano did early formative work.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
OK, I'm going to test your homework skills King. Smile For the sake of those of us who haven't heard of some of these folks,can you give some insight into what some of these folks did?

I think that this kind of information sharing is definately the positive side of the Café. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
A pop quiz?

Answer? "They escaped"!

And many of them before we were born.

Some came during Houdini's time and some later but they all deserve recognition for doing their bit to keep the art alive and in the public eye.

Too often Houdini get's his due and also the usual suspects who are still with us but may have retired.

However, there were many others who are deserving of recognition and whose efforts kept escapes out there after the flame of Houdini was extinguished.

In my mind, I do not feel it matters if one or the other made a significant or recorded contribution to the art that we can remember today.

What is most important is that they all escaped!

Steve Santini
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Hardeen
The Great Murray
The Amazing Randi
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
You can add, Marlo, Alex Lyall, and Arthur Coghlan all from Australia.

Ian
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Cunning The Jail Breaker. To me, the closest to looking like in Houdini. He was around circa 1915.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
For the most part they were all performing escape artists. A couple were also magicians, but yes they all did indeed escape. I have mostly come across written references or single pictures. I never have had the good fortune to see playbills and things like were mentioned. There are a series of very expensive postcards and photos on ebay right now with some of those folks depicted.

I think if there was someone who really wanted to dig around and collect the info there is an equal history in escapes as would be found in any branch of magic, they just didn't get the recognition Harry did.

50 years from now most of us will pass without leaving much behind. A good reason to get involved in the WEAR and similar things. Never before in history have we had the chance to leave behind a snapshot of the entire group of escaoplogists and escape artists at one time. We could leave that behind.

There have to be at least 3-4 times as many as I have come across. Don't think for A minute that I'm not writing down the ones other folks are mentioning.

Carnegie, Will you compile all of them in list form here? That would be nice.
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
One escapist who I have a picture of and who I think had one of the oddest names in the biz was a guy named "Captain Jack". Of course there are many others from the 1910 - 1920 period including Nicoli, the Mysterious Kings (a husband and wife act from Houdini's day where the wife actually did a straitjacket, the first reference I have ever seen to a woman doing the jacket), and tons of others.

I wish I was not going by memory and instead had the inventory list for The Escaporium at hand. If I did I could add even more.

Steve Santini

Two others from the early part of the 1900's just came to mind...

"Bodini" and Hicko".

Then of course there was also Trudel, Pop Reno, Hardeen Jr., Doc Weiss, etc, etc, etc.

Steve Santini
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I'd like to add David Deval to the mix too. A great inventer of escape equipment as well as being an excellent performer and genuine nice guy.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
How about Prynce Wheeler. there was also a Picture of a Lady Standing next to a Milk Can. one person said it looked to be about 1890's yet this lady goes un named and the picture is now gone from the internet. because it was taken down.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Wow....

Alan Alan

NO ONE remembered him?
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
I just had a look at the guy with escape artist postcards. He had an interesting pricing structure. It wasn't logical, but interesting.

I like the convict or strongman photos being sold as escape artist postcards. The best is the Houdini for $1,800. Very nice signature, but rubbered stamped.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Donster...excellent choice !!! Prynce Wheeler is a wonderful choice !

~Rick~
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Mark! Good Choice. Alan Alan. Upside down Chain escape from burning rope. Climb rope, slip. Fire goes all over the place. Brilliant! He seem ed to have a bit of a comedian in him while being tied up too. Love his work.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Anyone knows where to purchase a tape of Alan Alan ?
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I thought Alan Alan was still alive? When did he pass away?
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Icons of escape (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL