The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Icons of escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I never knew that he Did ?
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
He is still alive.

Don. Speak to Ian. He has a lot of Alan Alan's Stuff.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
Donster
The photo of the woman you speak of is located on my other website at:
http://www.palmbeachweb.com/boldwolf/cimage/cindinigold.htm
Although it is not sure of who she is or maybe even an assistant.

Take care
C
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Cindi yes that is the Picture I was Referring to. but why does no one know the name of the Lady. also what time frame is that Picture From.
Paul Reardon
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Georgia
52 Posts

Profile of Paul Reardon
Hello All,
I kinda think the woman in the photo is Adelaide Scarcez Herrmann (1854-1932) who worked with her husband Alexander Hermann (the Great). She took up the act when he died in 1896. Eventually she toured with an "Oriental" magic show designed by Chung Ling Soo.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Paul how old would you say that Picture is or Might be.
Paul Reardon
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Georgia
52 Posts

Profile of Paul Reardon
Don, I really don't know how old the pic is. I seem to remember her (this photo) showing up on a web discussion or in a book somewhere. The id was speculatively attributed to Adelaide Hermann. She was the "shiznet" of female magi's of her time, and carried on the Hermann magical tradition for decades after Alexander's death. Alexander had followed in his older brother Carl's footsteps. For a couple of years after the death of her husband, she worked with Alexander's nephew Leon, whom she had come from Europe to tour with her. Anyway, as for the date of the photo, I'm sure your estimate would be more informed than mine! By the way, that is the largest milk can for escaping I have ever seen.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Paul I'm Guessing the Pic. Might be From the 1890's I do Admit The Milk Can is Big.
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
The photograph is not of Adelaide Herrmann, though I sadly do not recall the woman's name. It appeared on the Magical Past-times website which is no longer working. The size of the can leads me to believe it may have belonged to Kassner who was a German Illusionist who some believe lost his entire show to Gerhard Schrieber, later known as Kalanag. Kassner had a poster called "Der Mann in der Kanne" and his can was oversized, just like the one in the photo. Then again, maybe Kassner obtained the can from the lady, whoever she is.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Yes, the party confiscated Kassner's show and gave it to Schreiber. It's amazing that Schreiber was able to re-emerge as Kalanag after the war and come off smelling like a rose.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
How does one find all of this information out.
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
Magic History my boy, lol. Try the following books:

Magic: A Pictorial History of Conjurers in the Theater by David Price
Illustrated History of Magic by Milbourne Christopher
The Annals of Conjuring
The Great Illusionists by Edwin Dawes

But more specifically, there was an article about Kalanag a couple years ago in MAGIC Magazine which told the most incredible story of Kalanad and Nazi Gold. It was unreal. I'm not sure if the Kassner/Kalanag event was actually proven, but basically Kassner had a huge touring show one day and the following day it was gone. Then a very short time later Kalanag emerged.

Incidentally, Kalanag was the magician who first inspired Siegfried Fischbacher of Siegfried and Roy. Years ago, Genii magazine also put out excerps from a biography written about Kalanag.

I know that's off the Icon topic, but at least it will answer Donsters question about finding out the info.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Kalanag was a Gestapo Commandant of a prisoner of war compound of which my late great friend (And escapologist) Alan Burford (The mind behind Levant`s World Wonder Show)Was an inmate,,,,through their common bond of magic Alans time was made a lot easier,,,,Im off the topic but thought it would be of interest. I have a book full of stories (True that is) Of POW`s under Kalanag.
Ken.
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
Ken,
Would love to hear some of these stories of yours about Kalanag and the POWs. It might have to be posted under a different heading than the escape section, but it would be very interesting to read the accounts.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Yes I have a fair bit of Alans left overs to go through,,,oh to have the time,,,this guy made me a Wrestling Cheese cos he worked on Selbits copy for Levant,,,,one day, maybe next year or who knows, just don`t have the time right now !!!
Ken.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I agree ones stories can be fun and interesting to learn from and hear about.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Icons of escape (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL