We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A blast...literally (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
This was originally a disaster but its actually quite funny so I thought I´ll share with all of you.

Being a lisenced pyrotechnician, I was the co-supervisor of a very large fireworks display last Saturday. We were setting up inside a hangar, and had all our mortars set up and wired and had the wireless system and all the detonators in place, the actual explosives to be loaded as the system test had been checked and re-checked.

We have all our stuff on moving platforms, so they´re easy to move around and once all is set, its easy to roll them to site. We had them all in a close cluster and I was sitting in the middle with the other supervisor, going thru the battle plan. One of our devoted trainees had our permission to fire the first sequence and he had the PIN numbers of the system. He was playing around and fired away. There we were, sitting in the middle of the things when 700 detonators went off in sequence. Ok, they´re just sparks and the sound is more of a snap. But boy were we scared! Peace and quiet and then all hell breaks loose... In the middle of the mini fireworks we managed to switch off some receivers so we didn´t have to re-wire everything. After the initial shock wore off, we were laughing like maniacs. I just wish someone had taped it.

And just in case someone is interested. The trainee thought the receivers were offline (allthough the green lights which read "online" on the main panel were a dead giveaway, methinks) so he armed the system and fired away. And we had told everyone a million times that NEVER arm the system even if the receivers ARE offline, always use SAFE TEST option. He never fires again, with us anyway-something could´ve gone wrong. But still, the moment was somewhat hilarious.
Sent from my Typewriter
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Devil makes work for idle thumbs Smile

Anything that uses explosives needs to be treated with respect at all times. You sound like you were quite lucky.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A blast...literally (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL