The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » My Jail Break (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
When I was in my early 20's and new to escapes, I had a burning in my gut so bad for the art, I ate, slept, drank and breathed escapes. I wanted to be an Escape Artist so badly I defied every bit of advice my family gave me about leaving radio to take to the road with my act. But, before I did leave for the road, I knew I needed to do something big, something great, something that would get me press and lots of it.

~Jail break~ I saw it as plain as day. I hit my local Locksmith shop and asked about jail locks and whats involved to pick them. Well, when I asked the 2 Locksmiths behind the counter, they looked at me as if I had lobsters crawling out of my ears.

"Forget it, no way, you'll lose the battle, besides I can't tell you that, Rick" was his answer. All they told me is that they work the same as a regular locks, just on a larger scale.

"Great, just frigg'in great" I thought, what now ? About 2 days later a flash hit me. I was doing a show in Cheapeau, Quebec a few weeks before and I was introduced to this old fellow who was once an Escape Artist back in the 30's named "Stupefier Andre" which means Amazing Andre in english.

His claim to fame was escaping while chained to the back of a black bear and actually traveled with his own bear ! I called my pal in Chapeau and asked more questions, I got the fellows name and number and I called.

Luck was with me, he said he enjoyed my show and was very willing to help me out, (thank god). I asked if he had done jail breaks and "oui" was his answer, to make a long story short, this fellow had been all over the world with his act and had done jail breaks all over Europe, but when he met his wife, she said no more escapes and he retired.

I asked what I need to know and this fellow gave me incredible insight into the jail break and told me of a speed method. I spoke to him for over an hour, after which I called my friend back and made sure that a bottle of rye whiskey found it's way to the Amazing Andre as a thank you from me.

Okay, I did what I had to do, over and over and over and over. I was even told to do it blindfolded...and I did. September 1980, I approached the chief of police in my hometown and actually got in to see him. "So you think you can beat the o'l jail cell, eh" ? asked the Chief, "well, sir, I'd like to try" was my answer.

The Chief took me downstaris to see the cells, "may I see the inside, please"? I asked......then he said something that I almost threw my arms around him for saying, "I have to go upstairs and get the keys".....Y*E*S* !!!!.....

When the Chief was gone, I took out a piece of thin sheet metal blacked with stove black, inserted it into the keyway and did my thing, very, very carefuly took it out and wraped it up. Next I took out 2 small bundles of piano wire, shim steel and 3 handcuff keys, buried in a lump of play dough (sorry that's all I can say at this point) and hid it.

For obvious reasons, I can't tell you the procedure of my practice or the method of picking I used, sorry folks ! The rest of the story...well, I released myself from the cuffs, leg irons and opened the jail cell door in 8 minutes and 44 seconds, some kind of a record I think.

Why did I do it, the jail break I mean ?...Because I wanted to.

~Rick~
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Rick! We must talk!!! Gonna PM you a bit later.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Interesting Very Interesting. Nice Story

Rick How Flat was the Blackened Piece of Metal after you pulled it out.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Don, I can't really say any more than what I have about that sort of thing. Sorry o'l chap !

~Rick~
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Rick Don't Worry about it. it's ok Smile
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Having tried to gain impressions in various ways ie balsa,aluminium and chalk covered plastic sheet I must take my hat off to you cos you achieved that which I thought was impossible.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi Kondini, well it's not really impossible if it's done the proper way. The method the old fellow gave to me was very unique according to a few Locksmiths I've shared it with.

~Rick~
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
You tell, like, THE coolest stories Smile.
If it is to be, it is up to me.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
These Stories are Very Amusing.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Its exactly that, a fish story. The odds are pretty low of making a key that works like described. Go to the lockpicking101 board and sign into the advance area after you get 50 posts, they will tell you its not very likely as well.

Don't take my word fo it, go talk to the pros.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Well there you go, it beats me, but then I am not the greatest,,,,but I do try hard.
Still not being a Locksmith maybe my view was clouded !!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Also go there if you just want general info. Like I said before about half of those folks can work with things they find in the garbage can. Simply amazing.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Thanks for your comments, folks, I appreciate them all. I forgot to mention, I have headline clippings and a letter form the chief of police on this escape...it was a lot of fun to do.

~Rick~
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Rick will you Ever Be Attempting another Jail Escape Again. I'll love to see it.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Locksmithing101? Hey Mike, do you have a link?
Tony
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Sorry Tony I was confusing work and play on that one. Its http://www.lockpicking101.com/
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi Don, No sir, no more jail breaks for me. I love escapes and because of what I have read here at the Café and because of the support I have recieved from a lot of EA's here I will be adding an escape to my regular show (the salem manacles). By trade I am a stage hypnotist and have been for the past 22 years. So, no...no more jail breaks for me...thanks for asking
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
A thin piece of flat sheet metal would not go into the lock without bends in it to duplicate keyway ridges. While certainly these types of locks can be impressioned, it is not as simple as blackening a bit of metal, putting it in and turning on a single occasion. Such a task would take a knowledgable locksmith a good deal of time with the lock itself to accomplish it.

Steve Santini
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Thanks for the link Mike....nice looking site.
Tony
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Nobody will ever know why I inserted a piece of tin plate with stoveblack on it. If you want to think it was for an impression, then that's ok. But only I will ever know what I did. I know something about a jail lock that most E.A.'s don't, it's no big deal, we all have our trade secrets. The bottom line is...it worked.

~Rick~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » My Jail Break (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL