The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » My Jail Break (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Oh quite well. Smile I've never been arrested yet but I do know people in certain places.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13386 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Does anyone know how to contact KingStarDog from these forums?
I've lost his email address.

Thanks,
Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Frank I'm sure someone on this Board has His E-mail Address.
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
I actually got out of a ticket like that one. Quite a few years ago a buddy of mine and I were driving back to my place with a bunch of gear in the back seat. Anyway, we're pulled over and the cop asks about it. I explain what I do and he says, "can you get out of my cuffs?" And I respond with, "As long as you don't give me a ticket I will." He says that if I can do it then he will. He didn't even bother to double lock them. Long story short... one amazed cop and me with no ticket.

-Matt (TK)
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Oh, what a pleasure! I am going to try that one Matt.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Wolfie let me know when you find one. maybe I can Cop a Dealto get out of being arrested to.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
I have been asked by MANY cops over the years if I can beat their own service cuffs. I ALWAYS say "No". Same answer to locksmiths, or anyone else who dares to ask. My skills -- which are so easy to misunderstand and misinterpret even on good days -- are not for public consumption.

I mean, would you say to a tax officer that you knowingly dodge paying taxes?

Some things are just better left unsaid.

Just some free advice, and worth every penny.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Chance

While I understand what you are saying. at least to a point. I must disagree with your analogy somewhat. Unlike tax evasion, opening handcuffs is not by itself illegal, immoral, corrupt, nor in any way wrong, it is not a criminal act, and it should not attract investigation. These are the reason you would not mention tax doging to a tax inspector. None of them apply to the simple act of opening, or otherwise escaping from handcuffs. By the same logic you may as well say that admitting to being able to drive a car is the same as admitting that you steal cars!
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
Chance,
I've got to agree with David on this one.
I've done a lot of work with police officers over the years and I've found that they aren't offended, just impressed. Mind you I don't run up to them and start saying how I can get out of their cuffs or anything like that. But if they ask and I'm so inclined then I don't have an issue with it and neither do they (at least they haven’t with me so far).
Actually I've worked many of my escapes out so that police would be there in order to supply the restraints as well as put me in to them. I appreciate their help and always assure them that it's not a competition between myself and them but rather between myself and the equipment. The simple trick here is to just never make them look foolish.

-Matt (TK)
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Some cops are good and some are rotten apples.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I have also helped the Police with giving a few tips and hints to look out for with criminals too, so they get a lot of help too.
Wolflock
South Africa
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Once upon a time, I was entertaining the State convention for the Order of Amaranth, a Masonic women's organization. Back then, I used to do the Thumbcuffs as a gag, vanishing them at the end. That evening, I had a gentleman up assisting me and, on a really odd move, I also picked his pocket.

When the cuffs vanished, he got a really stern expression on his face and, as I handed him his wallet, it fell open to reveal a Chicago Police Detective Lieutennant's badge! He was royally ticked off at me and, as the audience was laughing, I asked if he had ever used such cuffs and he said that he did when working is disguise, so, in all seriousness, I told his to see me after the show and I would show him what had happened and how to keep it from happening to him in the field. He visibly warmed to that as I also added to the crowd - "this man puts his life on the line every day he goes to work. If I can show him how to stay safer, I consider it my civic duty." And this was before 9/11 by several years.

The audience gave the idea a standing ovation and the cop was well pleased.

Odd thing is that he didn't look me up after the show... so I had no problem tipping the work to a non-magician. But, in that case, I probably would have. I would hate to think that, by not doing so, I could have gotten someone killed.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Well done, Lee...well done. I really enjoyed that .

~Rick~
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
That is the reason I help the Police out here. Crime is VERY High here in South Africa so I make it my cival duty to help the police make our streets safer.
Wolflock
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
You didn't know the guy was on the Police force. I even know of a Magician that had a police officer up on stage trying to shoot something. and darned if he could hit anything. some of the people in the audience knew that he was on the police force to.
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
Quote:
On 2005-01-12 22:36, bnadworn wrote:
Rick,
I have enjoyed reading your posts about your stories. They are great (and well written).

A while ago (alright 25 years or so) while I was in college, I was walking through the college union and noticed 2 guys playing with handcuffs. I walked up to them and asked them about it and if I could see them. They quickly cuffed me and laughed hysterically. I did a 360 turn and handed the cuffs back to them saying that they looked very interesting and thanks for sharing. Their jaws hit the floor. I then pointed to a poster on the wall for a Magician that was performing there that weekend and said: yup, that was me! Good publicity. I didn't do any escapes during that show though.

- Brian Nadworny

Those are the stories I love to read!!!

Perry
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Michael
I had a run in with a bunch of cops once. I went into the local police supply store to buy some flex-cuffs and a pair of thumb cuffs. The whole place was crawlling with off duty cops and some of them wanted to know what I wanted with thumb cuffs and such. One thing led to another and I ended up in the thumbcuffs. I had on one of those hooded sweatshirts with the large pocket in front that you can put both of your hands in. I ran one hand in all the way through and out the other side and had this cop lock them on me. I ran my hands back inside the big pocket and did an "in again-out again routine" for these guys. They couldn't believe their eyes! After I was finished, one of the guys, an older gentleman with a military style flat top hair cut, wanted to see the cuffs. He looked them over, then he clicked one of the bows back through (into the open position). Then, he got real serious....he looked me right in the eye and asked, "Do you what we do with guys like you?" I answered in a semi-nervous voice, "No...." He said that he had something that smart alacs like me couldn't get out of. Foolishly, I asked what that thing was.....and then he showed me! He took that little hook shaped thumbcuff bow and hooked me inside one side of my nose! He lifted me up onto my tippy toes and said, "Well son, can you get out of this?" Before I could answer, he laughed and let me down. We all had a good laugh and shared some handcuff stories. By the time I had left, it was obvious that, even though I got out of a legitimite police restraint, at a police supply shop, that a vetern cop put me in, I had won all of their respect. I walked away with some free flex cuffs that day and I returned there many times after that to do close-up magic on the counter when business was slow, and I even did a full magic show for them once. I got a few freebies that day too! It was good to share this old war story with you all. Take care, Mike
*CAUTION* Does NOT play well with others!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » My Jail Break (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL