We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Richard Sherry's Steel Straight Jacket - questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
FredSaid
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of FredSaid
Hello. I have been considering purchasing a steel straight jacket from Richard Sherry's Magic and figured my best bet is to register on the Café and post a question. It looks amazing on his website. Does anyone have one of his steel straight jackets? What are your thoughts on it? How does it rate against the other jackets available? What do people think of it who haven't purchased it yet?

Thanks in advance.

Fred
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Personal preference for me,,,,not Stainless Steel.

The Steel Jacket has earned me a hell of a lot of cash this year,,,so don`t buy one.
FredSaid
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of FredSaid
Why not stainless steel?

You must have one from the Cannon's (Ian's jacket). What do you think of it? Is it high quality?

Fred
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Mine was a special (Not on Cannons site) Yes Ian made it to size for a one off gig overseas.
The working was completely different and will not be gone into here.
Why not stainless steel,,,,
1) SJ`s are not used nowadays.
2) Plain metal with a little rust proves its an original !!!!

OK, just my way of thinking / working.
FredSaid
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of FredSaid
Thanks Kondini!

I don't know how many people actually have steel jackets as part of their escape show right now but what do people think of it from the picture on Richard's site? Would you buy it???

Fred
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Hi,

The above posts only serve to illustrate why there should be as many escape equipment suppliers as possible out there.

Certainly, people's preferences are different and having different suppliers and creators out there only offers more choice to each performer.

In this instance, for those that like bare or rusted steel, there is Ian's jacket, and, for those that prefer a glimmering surface finish that may be better suited to underwater work there is Richard Sherry's creation.

In the long run, it is not about which is "better" but rather about which is more better suited to a particular performance format and personal likes/dislikes.

Having more escapology equipment suppliers is a step in the right direction for all who perform escapes!

Steve Santini
FredSaid
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of FredSaid
Well said Steve! I agree whole heartedly.

Fred
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi Fred, nice to meet you. Before you purchase your jacket, may I suggest you check out Ian McColl's work on the steel jacket that he makes ? I believe his jackets are all custom made to your body size, I may be wrong but I don't think so.

You can see his work at http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.net/catalog.html

~Rick~
FredSaid
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of FredSaid
Nice to meet you too! I've looked at the jacket on the Cannon's site as well. Do you have one of their's or have you seen one? What do you think of the quality of Ian's jacket? I'm not too keen on what others were saying about it rusting (although some people seem to WANT it to rust). The jacket that Richard makes is customed sized as well (sized per customer).

Thanks!
Fred
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hi Fred, well I don't own a steel jacket as of yet, I have been inquiring about the SSJ since I saw it at Cannons. If it rusts...then that means that the owner is not taking care of it. WD-40 was invented just for something like that. A good rub down with a rag and WD-40 after each show is all it needs.

Besides, this is how I look at it...do I really want to go on stage with a nice, shiny, magic store looking prop or something that looks old, used, and especially, authentic ?

Ian is a craftsman and does nothing without putting lots of thought into his work. I think if he thought it was going to be a problem, he would have addressed the issue from the start. I personally don't mind rust spots on my metal escape props as long as they still work 100%

To close, all I can say is ~WD-40~

~Rick~
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
So are Richard Sherry's.

Like I said earlier, it all boils down not to what others say, but instead what work best for you.

To make such a purchase based on what others tell you and not on your own specific needs in not wise and is only throwing money out the window.

The fact that many here who have replied own ther jacket is a clue for you that there are some alterior motives at work.

Bottom line: If it is not versatile and tailored to work for you in ALL circumstances, then avaiod it at all costs despite what anyone else may say.

In the end, you as the consumer is the only vote that really counts.
Steve Santini
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Hi Fred, welcome to the Café. I don't as of yet own a steel strait jacket and I haven't seen Mr. Sherry's creation but I have seen sveral versions of Ian's Jacket at the Dixie Dooley show in Las Vegas and at the last two Escape Artist conventions. To take nothing away from Mr Sherry's version I really do like Ian's jacket and it is of the highest quality in my opinion and will last a lifetime. I have purchased many of his fine products and have never been dissapointed. Which one you choose, will be, as Steve Santini pointed out, as matter of venue and personal preference. As Kondini also pointed out, Ian will certainly do custom work to make sure you are 100% satisfied with the product. I know he has a few different versions of his jacket, including a sand blasted one, so if you have any questions about any rusting (and I think a better term to use here so as not to confuse people would be metal discoloration)you can contact Ian directly. He's always very helpful. You can PM him on the Café at "Trunk8".
Best regards, Tony Parisi
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
In the previous message I meant to say that many who have replied own NEITHER jacket.

That should say a lot to you.

In time you will come to find that escapology is divided into two distinct camps. Mainly, those who think Ian McColl is the end all because there has for years been nothing else out there and those who seek additional alternatives.

Those who seek those additional alternatives are often the ones put down here on this part of The Café.

If you do not believe me, check out previous posts.

Every prop and person in escapes has a specific place. If only all would agree to that all would be cool here.

Steve Santini
FredSaid
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of FredSaid
I've checked Richard's site and I think that it looks very formidable. It doesn't look like a magic 'prop' to me. Part of it is how the EA performs the escape. It looks strong and menacing, not rusted and weak. The jacket on Cannon's site really doesn't impress me much, maybe it's just the picture.

Also, I don't really want to smell like WD40 when I perform. Not only that but it stains clothing. But everyone is entitled to their own opinions, thanks for yours.

I think I know what I am going to do.

Thanks guys!
Fred

Thanks for the info Tony and Steve! I appreciate everyone opinions. I have already contacted Richard Sherry and am very pleased with the quick response.

Thanks again.
Fred
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Personal opinion (and that's what it is): I think Ian's looks better.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Richard Sherry
View Profile
Veteran user
Calgary, AB, Canada
313 Posts

Profile of Richard Sherry
Ian McCol makes a great steel jacket.I also make a great steel jacket. They both serve different needs yet the same needs.They are performed in different ways.It all depends on what you are looking for.I would like to think there is support and encouragement for all the builders ,performers and creative positive thinkers in this wonderful field of ours.
All the best to ALL of you.

Richard Sherry
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
To clear a few things up here.
I own three jackets and have used all three over a period of the last ten years or so.
Prior to that I had made, at great expense a jacket of chain mail (Once more for a one off well paid gig).

As Steve has said, its a very personal thing each to his own, thank God we are all different and present our escapes as an extension of our own personalities, what works for me will proberly not work for you.

I use this action each time I am looking for a new prop.
Locate all that are available,then try and weed out those that are obviously not for me or in my opinion poorly made, I then buy one of each which are left on my list (Yes maybe its an expensive way to work) But until I have tried all then how can I judge the best for me and lets face it I very seldom purchase at all, it has to be something that I know I will use and give a good return in the future.

At the time noted I required a jacket for a certain gig.
I did a long search, with very,very few results at that time.
I duly got the Ian McColl Cannons jacket also another from a fellow ea in Germany, although both were very well made, neither at that time fitted the demands of the bookers.
So I contacted Ian with the basic idea`s I required as he was the only source known to me who would be capable of my requirements.
After much time and effort, my desire`s were met, I had a jacket,one of a kind made to the highest of degrees.I was, and still am a very satisfied customer, this SSJ has made big bucks for me.

Regarding the rust,,,,the jacket was painted with grey paint and looked good (The Cannons McColl jacket that is) But for my usage, fire was involved so I stripped all the paint off (The second one off SSJ that Ian made, was not painted,at my request).
Through its constant use outside a slight colour change was seen to improve the appearance of the jacket, a slight rustic (Surface only)Look which I found more to my way of presentation,,,yes at the end of each month I clean it up so that the "Rust" will not take hold, but I still prefer it weathered.
I hope I have explained it clearly enough.

Now to the Stainless Steel, Yes it looks shiny (Like a magic prop should)I am sure it is well made but too new,too propy will not do it for me.Also having had Restraints made in stainless steel at great expense in the past, a common fault is that the weld/braze will not weather as well as the actual steel and in the end this becomes a weekness (Welding techniques may have improved since then) So this is my opinion based on my own findings.

I can only say compare and try, but first off make sure you really want and have a place for this type of prop in your show, its oh so easy to make snap buys,,,,proven by the number of props up in my attic and garage and shed yes and some more in the bedroom as well !!!!!
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
The SSJ I have was made by Ian and purchased through Cannons. Because the jacket is metal, there are areas of paint that will chip away through use. Any area where a lock can touch the paint will eventually scrape paint away for example. But you can easily touch it up.

I've had mine for a long time and love it. It's a big prop to carry around but I'm used to that. I've also looked into the SSJ that Richard makes and his design is different and offers some things that Ians jacket doesn't.

I think the SSJ is a great piece when done well, but like anything else, performed poorly it can just be an expensive mistake. A regular straight jacket offers a lot more variety and is easily transportable. As I only own Ians Jacket right now, I give it 5 stars!
FredSaid
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of FredSaid
Interesting ideas here.

Dr. Stephen Midnight, can I ask what draws you to Ian's jacket?

There seems to be a lot of maintenance to the McColl jacket. I have been thinking about this purchase long before I posted here on the Café. I appreciate everyone's insight into this matter. I, too, am glad we are all different because that is what keeps this field growing.

I'd like to note though that we should consider the products the new builders have within the industry because they each have different ideas and create different products that otherwise wouldnt' be available. Not only that but some competition in any industry is healthy to keep the prices competitive and fair for all of us.

Fred
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
"Amen" Fred.

It is always best that everything should be open to exploration.

Steve Santini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Richard Sherry's Steel Straight Jacket - questions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL