We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » If you float a dollar with loops...... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ykstem
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of ykstem
Just a quick poll:

For those of you who float a bill w/loops (as I do as part of my close-up act), do you crumple the bill into a ball and float it, or do you fold it length wise and float (ala Losander, also performed on the Ammar vid), or do you just float it flat on its back?

I usually just float it as a crunpled ball, but I will somtimes do the Losander method. I do the crumpled ball mostly because I find it is a little easier for an audience to see.
AqueousMagiK
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AqueousMagiK
I can't get the nack of floating a bill with loops and and I don't think it looks as magical as it does with using straight IT and a hookup (fearson, leclair, two point)

Do you have any tips for floating a bill with loops?
Aaron Farrugia
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
I usually just crumble it up and float it as it can give the spectator that you can't be bothered with the note and just throw it on your hand rather then placing it carefully on the loops.
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Don't crumple the bill when letting it float using a loop.
Study, if possible, the way Finn Jon does it.

Looks like magic..not only it does float, but it pops up quite some distance vertically from one holding hand to the upper receiving hand..

I used to do this way back in the midt 1980s and often when getting the bill in a restaurant, when out travelling in foreign countries like Spain and Italy..(to check if it was too *heavy* or OK .. Smile

Crumpling the bill would 100% ruin the loop!
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
ykstem
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of ykstem
I crumple the bill and float it. It doesn't ruin the loop at all. And, you can also do the same kind of rising action with the ball, having it float upwards and then pulling it back or plucking it out of the air, that Losander does with the folding version.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-01-11 12:39, ykstem wrote:
I crumple th ebill and float it - doesn't ruin the loop at all.

That's OK with me.. Smile
Crumple, Crumple, crumple...

Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
You should rather check Finn Jon's alternative to a ordinary float. He's routine is called "The bill that falls up" and it's a more handy routine cause it uses the elastic and you get an effect that is similar to a Muscle Pass but done with a bill. It's explained in Ammars ETMTM Vol.1..

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-01-12 05:14, Eirik wrote:
You should rather check Finn Jon's alternative to a ordinary float.

:) Why not let the crumplers crumple?

They obviously have the wisdom and never ruin a loop by crumpling Smile -and the way they do it must be better then Finn Jons- so I would suggest to just let them have their fun Smile

eb02
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of eb02
You may get some idea on Yigal Misika book.
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
AqueousMagiK
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AqueousMagiK
Yeah I have Ammars DVD and have seen the bill that floats up routine but for me I thing it just looks like hmmm I don't know, rubberbandish. It's too fast for my liking.
Aaron Farrugia
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Quote:
On 2005-01-12 08:56, Werner G. Seitz wrote:

:) Why not let the crumplers crumple?

He He, true Werner, let them all try crumpling first, when they figure out it starts to get anoyingly expensive they will to follow the road of the pro's like Finn, Ammar, Losander, LeClair etc..

-e-
Posted: Jan 14, 2005 3:35am
------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------

On 2005-01-13 02:25, AqueousMagiK wrote:
Yeah I have Ammars DVD and have seen the bill that floats up routine but for me I thing it just looks like hmmm I don't know, rubberbandish. It's too fast for my liking.

--------------------------------------------------------

You should try it out AqueousMagiK, practice it with the bill hooked the Finn Jon way. Practice it (work on hooking up without looking at your hands), when you feel confident - try to perform it for someone, I patter something about "if I where to go to china I would actually be upside down from where we live, what would happen if I drop something, like this bill....."
The routine never fails to get great reactions..

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
ykstem
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of ykstem
Well first, my apologies if any of my posts or tone seems like I am claiming a wisdom that I certainly don't have - in fact, that was why I originally posted this in the first place, to learn from others expereince, and to see which method others are using, and why they have chosen a particular technique.

I am a little unclear though as to why the strong reaction against a particular method; the crumpling the bill really works no differently then floating bill routines where the dollar is crumpled around regular IT, whether it is with the LeClaire animator hookup, or a one point hookup. The IT in those hookups doesn't break, and it is arguabely more fragile than the elastic used for the Mesika loops. Similarly, in 2 years of weekly close-up shows, I have not broken a loop gently crumpling a dollar around the loop once it is stretched between my hands. It doesn't mean I never break loops - I have broken lots of them in many other ways. Just not in this particular routine. Again, my intent was not to offend anyone here - just to find out what others are doing when they perform.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

@ykstem

Just do what is best for you, no point in arguing re this at all.

Just keep going, I've no objection, thing is just I've experienced what works best re loops (I made my own and I made plenty of them) for not only me, but also works best for a lot of others..

The bill that floats up to the hand held 7 to 8 inches higher then the hand holding the bill has fooled a lot of knowledgable fellow magicians NOT knowing the *secret*.

One can't do this with a crumpled bill, because it is crumplet. It's just not the same.
Apart from this, a straight bill, floating between ones hands , whilst the hands moves upwards to follow it and catch it, takes more *space* in the air, then a crumplet bill and so looks better.

It- IMHO- almost is a crime to crumple a bill for no reason at all. Maybe I would tear a bill apart for throwing it away, or I would crumple it for the same reason. But most certainly NOT for letting it flow.

Using another hook-up then a loop, it generally is accepted to crumple it around the single strand, but using a lopp (2 strands) is not needed.

Nevertheless, crumple, crumple, crumple. No reason to continue to argue. Smile

I waste my time, you waste yours. Crumple, crumple, crumple and be happy with it..actualy TBH, I don't care.

I made my point, I'm happy the way I do it. Why should I care how you do it, if you are happy? Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » If you float a dollar with loops...... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL