The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Double fan/ giant fan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ryman
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of ryman
Hi I was wondering does anybody know how to do a double fan/giant fan. its where you hav a normal fan, and then a larger one behind it, done in one movement?

thanks
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
Faro, then fan. Simple Trying not to give to much details here since this isn't the secret session catagory. If you can tell what I'm saying off those 2 words then your good to go. Otherwise check in jeff McBrides manipulation dvd's, or in jerrys book plus its in like 10 other sources.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
mcmc
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of mcmc
Do you really think this is a secret session topic? To me it feels like not smuch a secret move as a neat one, like springing the cards, that is kind of in the public domain. With both, in the 'move' or demonstration itself, anyone viewing it can see the 'method'. As such it's a show of skill, not a sleight or secret method. All parties involved can see the faro and the fan - there's no way to 'tip' the method, because in doing the move itself you are already tipping it. Any thoughts?

Ryman - one more hint: I do the fan two ways, one a normal fan (clockwise with stock originally held in LH), the other a reverse fan. Both ways, though, the key is to make the RH's contact point during the spread, at the interlocking portion of the two halves of the deck.
ryman
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of ryman
Ok thanks.. but I still dun get what you mean Smile
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
I wrote it that way so some moron didn't start crying about me giving away a secret or some crap like that. For your answer No, I don't feel its a secret session topic but I did it so I didn't have to hear any bull $&*t from someone.
www.chriskeppel.com
ryman
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of ryman
Uh.. I'm not sure.. but is it when you interlace the cards, like the first bit of the riffle shuffle, then fan it?
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
Yes, exactly right.
www.chriskeppel.com
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
No its not, you give the cards an incomplete Faro shuffle, not a riffle shuffle.

Then you fan them.

Riffle shuffle gets too uneven.
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
ryman
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of ryman
Um.. how do you do a faro shuffle?
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
Oh yes, I didn't see you put riffle. I thought you ment faro. Faro them and push them in just a tad. Then do a normal thumb fan. My mistake. I read your post so fast and thought you said faro, otherwise I would have posted that is WAS NOT a riffle.
www.chriskeppel.com
mcmc
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of mcmc
Faro: basic move, you cut half the deck, then push a short end of one half into a short end of the other half, so that the cards interleave. to complete the faro you normally do a bridge to fully mix the cards together, but for the giant fan you leave them pushed into each other half-way - that way, you have alternating cards, one higher, one lower, etc., so you can make the giant fan.

if you don't get it STILL, then buy McBride's art of card manipulation dvd 1.
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
Yeah, the faro is very knacky too so it takes a little while.

Or maybe its just me. Smile
ryman
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of ryman
Wait.. I kinda tried sumthing out yesterday.. so when you interlace the cards, do you position one of the packets slightly out, so that it makes the desired look of 2 fans?

thanks
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
Yes, In time you should get better and better at making it every other one. I can do a faro almost perfect every time but its only because I had to for the trick "unshuffled" otherwise it wont come out right. When your doing a gian fan its always nicer to have every other card laced but for that move it doesn't matter as much, still looks better the better the faro is though.
www.chriskeppel.com
ryman
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of ryman
Hmmm... I was playing around with it last night, and when I interlaced them I put them slightly out of line (not directly on top of each other) I found it looked more like what I was looking for. Is that how you do it?
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
That's all about you I guess.

If you place the cards slightly to the side you can easier take the top fan off and retain the look of the bottom one.
ryman
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of ryman
Yes I prefer to do it that way, so it looks better
ryman
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of ryman
I'm just starting to do the faro shuffle smoothly Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Double fan/ giant fan (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL