The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Fantastic Floatation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
Have anyone perform this trick?

When you peform this trick, does the spectator SUSPECT something behind your clothes?

Do the cloth or jacket make the efecct looks un-normal?
Are there any patter that sound logical why you should put off you jacket while you "levitate"?

Hengky
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
I'm almost sure you already have the answer :

If you think of it like a perfect layman : He puts his jacket in front of him, like a window, so he hides a mecanic principle (even if the spec doesn't know exactly the mecanism works).

Maybe that's me who overestimate the spectator capacity to understand, but I really believe they react like that.

Best regards,
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
pradip_rao
View Profile
New user
Bombay, India
67 Posts

Profile of pradip_rao
Hengky,

Cendre has said it right - it definitely looks a tad too suspicious, even to a layman.

However, I have seen it effectively used in a show as a quick visual interlude. To the audience, it was unexpected, visual and surprising, though not necessarily overly mystifying.

Cheers,
Pradip
promethee
View Profile
Regular user
France
125 Posts

Profile of promethee
I agree. When I see the video, what's happening seems obvious to me!
La fleur de l'illusion produit le fruit de la realite.
MagicAL47
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of MagicAL47
Not obvious to me! Do you get a good gimmick and do you need special clothing?
~Magic-Al~
yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Greetings...

I have just recently built this... I haven't used it in a show yet. Audience reaction to Steve Fearson is good (watch the vid at Download.com)...

I don't plan to just do it with the jacket in front... my premise is to do a supreme balancing act type deal... like standing behind something that obviously can't support my weight, yet appearing to balance myself on the thing (like a stack of eggs)... I can then take all the heat off myself... I have some ideas about how to pull this off (like with a pile of eggs tall enough to work!)...

When I get it going, I'll take some pix and post them somewhere...

Joe
Smile
Vincenzo
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
215 Posts

Profile of Vincenzo
it seemed abit obvious to me.
I'm not sure exacly how the gimmick works, but to the people who have it, try this one: Have a stool in front of you incase you fall, or stand in front of a window, with a sill. your back towards spectators. Then engage the gimmick, and hide it with your body. Levitate (like blaine).
what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
It was obvious to me, but I don't exactly know how you would carry the gimick around. It seemed a bit pricey for what you get. It looked pretty funny though. One of those tricks that is more of a joke
The great Sandwich!
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Hi Pradip Rao,
Did you manage to find the rest of the parts for the Floatation? or did you find and sell it?
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Using same basic principle I think Andrew Mayne's Broom Flight Levitation works better (easier to make it , too ) and it takes some heat off the covering . (notice I said : takes "some" heat off the covering , not all , so it still needs to be done as a quick bit and then move on before anyone dwells on it too much ) .

It's in Andrew Mayne's booklet "Touching Sky".
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
I agree, I am IN LOVE with broom flight. I used it for a birthday party of a friends son, and they just loved it. You can also learn it on the DVD "Wizard School" from Andrew. It looks so similar to Fearson's illusion, but it alot cheaper. If you want to put together a childrens act with a Harry Potter theme, I suggest Wizard School.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
There will always be suspicion if you use suspicious methods Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
If you want to see the Fantastic Floatation taken to the "next level", try to find Ron Jaxon's video of himself performing this...he customized it to his routine...and is a perfect example of how to pull this off.

Ron is usually found in the Banquet Room in the IT discussions...

Doug
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
A quick presentation with negligible set-up has worked best for me-- by the time they fully register that you are floating, you are down and on to the next thing, with your jacket back on or other cover set aside.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wanna see Ron Jaxon doing his "front" version? Click on the video here on the front page...:

http://magicjax.com

What do you guys think?

Doug
dsilverfield
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of dsilverfield
Hi doug that was cool.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Now that was sweet !!! Smile
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
Very interesting...great video!
Gerard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Fantastic Floatation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL