We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » No gimmicks No cost (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pure Effect 2
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, England
60 Posts

Profile of Pure Effect 2
Hi I am asking for some help on my magic, As a young magician a am fed up with spending money on gimmicks, can anybody tell me any good tricks just using cards and other everyday stuff. THANKS PURE EFFECT.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
You should check the "Magic...At a moment's notice!" forum, it's dedicated to magic done without gimmics - and with everyday stuff.
Buy some of the works on DVD by Dan Harland and Greg Wilson, practice it and you'll be able to perform for hours without using any gim.

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Pure Effect 2
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, England
60 Posts

Profile of Pure Effect 2
Thanks that has been a great help I have never checked that forum before now
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Check out "Jawdroppers" from Larry Anderson

http://www.jawdroppers.com
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Pure Effect 2
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, England
60 Posts

Profile of Pure Effect 2
Jawdroppers is good to thanx
JarrodHenry
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of JarrodHenry
Also check out Giobbi's Card College series Smile

You don't just GET good tricks told to you..or good technique. You have to buy the books and do the learning.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Another vote for jawdroppers. Some good stuff in there. Dan Harlan's rubber band videos. In fact, I think Dan Harlan has a whole series of videos of "bar tricks" or basically magic you can do with everyday items like matches, etc.
silapmata
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of silapmata
Try Self working series book by karl Fulves - Coin, Card,Mental, Rope, Paper and so on.
gandalf
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
310 Posts

Profile of gandalf
Assuming you have NO books on card magic, try the ROYAL ROAD TO CARD MAGIC and the Complete Course in Magic by Mark Wilson.
The DVD 10 ways to force a card is also very handy, and very cheap.

1 Svengali deck (i know a gimmick..) will allow you to do tonnes of tricks, and have a nice little routine.

Also try the Easy to Master Card Mircales by Michael Ammar if you have a little experience of the standard slieghts etc

Hope this helps
Matthew
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Some references:

Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic - Martin Gardner
Tarbell Course in Magic - LOTS of goodies in there
Now U See It, Now U Don't - Bill Tarr, several volumes, easy to make stuff and impromptu
Magic Without Apparatus - Gaultier
Rubber Band Magic - videos by Dan Harlan not much cheaper props in the world
Finger Magic - Meier Yedid - some of it hurts to do, but it is really impressive.
Body Magic - John Fisher (out of print and VERY expensive, but sometimes found in libraries)
Bobo's Modern Coin Magic - J.B. Bobo - get the hardcover from Magic, Inc. The Dover version is completely out of date and was published without the permission of the author

Can you tell that reading is a necessity in this biz? Smile

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Greg wilson rocks when it comes to this kind of stuff. You will love his material.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Wolfgang1us
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang1us
I love Paul Green's classic force DVD. Contains a couple of very nice routines too...
Memo
View Profile
New user
Germany (northrhine-westfalia)
77 Posts

Profile of Memo
Go to the next larger library, borrow a couple of begginer magic books (and don´t be ashamed, if they are intended for kids) and read them. Most tricks will be ready for street magic and without expensive gimmicks.
"There have been many claims by magicans and mentalists to the invention of mnemonics; some of the claimants have been world-famous performers - and none of them have a right to their claims!" - Corinda
Wolfgang1us
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang1us
You got a point there. When I started, I thought Sponge Balls where for kids. Now I carry them around all the time and use them on adults most of the time...
magicandrew
View Profile
New user
Australia
58 Posts

Profile of magicandrew
Do some tricks like ten crad poker deal and out of this world shuffled version those are both practically imprompto and one of the best effects done with cards.
""Magic is your art handle it well""
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
There is plenty of good advise above , I just want to second Mark Wilson's Compelete Course In Magic to start with or maybe further than that . It has some great on the spot magic in it , and easy to learn .Smile
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
598 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Get Harry Loraine's "The Magic Book".

It's easy to read and understand. Harry's "after thoughs" are worth the price of the book.
djc89
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of djc89
Vote for Jawdroppers. They have some nice, easy to do impromptu tricks, as well as some hard hitting not so impromptu ones.

And of course, Greg Wilson is recommended. I've got the On the Spot DVD and it is great. It's magic with everyday items just sitting there for you to use.
blsorg
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston WV
149 Posts

Profile of blsorg
I agree with Memo.
If you're low on funds... head over to your local library.
Many of the "gems of magic" can be found in some of those books!

Posted: Mar 5, 2005 5:55pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a matter of fact, even if you're not low on funds, that's a great place to go! Lot's of other topics available too, just for the asking... Science, Psychology, Public Speaking, Human Relations, Chemistry, Comedy, etc. All of this knowledge intermingles with the world of MAGIC !
- Time flies like an arrow; Fruit flies like a banana! -

http://www.WVmagic.net
Hamilton
View Profile
New user
Maine
90 Posts

Profile of Hamilton
In addition to On the Spot I can recommend Hundy 500, by Greg Wilson as well. Good street stuff in both and his style is great on the street.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » No gimmicks No cost (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL