The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Difference between "encyclopaedia of impromptu magic" and "the magic book" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

metwin1
View Profile
New user
Singapore
60 Posts

Profile of metwin1
I note that Harry Lorayne has written 2 books on impromptu magic, the Encyclopaedia Of Impromptu Magic and The Magic Book.

How different are they in terms of the kind of material they contain? Which is the better buy?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I didn't know Lorayne wrote a book called "Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic".
He may have.
Martin Gardner wrote a book with this title.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Both of these books are great and you can get lots of info from either. If you can, buy both. If you can't, I would buy "The Magic Book' first.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
The Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic was written by Martin Gardner, not Harry Lorayne.

It is a massice compendium of stunts, tricks, betchas and impromptu magic that is one of the most complete works of its kind, ever. Magic, Inc in Chicago is the publisher.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
The Magic Book is very good. About 300 pages it has sections on cards, coins, numbers, mental, and miscellaneous. 158 pages are on cards. The book assumes no previous magical knowledge and is interspersed with anecdotes from Harry's life.

The methods taught are very simple and direct. He concentrates on practical sleights whch are relatively easy and how to routine them properly. If you want to learn double lifts, simple card controls, and finger palms then this is the place to come. The routines given are also very powerful, considering the book is aimed at beginners and improvers.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2774 Posts

Profile of John Long
Does any one know of a source for the Encyclopedia of Impromtu Magic?

I called Magic Inc, they don't have any, any more.

Thanks
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Zoinks!! I checked http://www.abebooks.com for a used copy, and they START at $114.45!

http://www.amazon.com lists two copies, one at $95 and one at $250.

Don't think I'll be buying soon.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book is an excellent source for impromptu magic. As stated above, it assumes absolutely no previous knowledge of magic (even how to shuffle a deck of cards!) and was originally written for the lay public.
It was out of print for a few years but now is being published again. Its price is in the $35 to $40 range.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2774 Posts

Profile of John Long
I heard from Magic Inc, that Todd Karr of Miracle Factory will be updating/reprinting the Enc. of Impromptu Magic.

Does anyone know the details of this?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
saranacbo
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of saranacbo
Martin Gardner's book is a delight, and I think you can spend years and years going over it, learning all kinds of fun stuff, never getting bored (certainly I have).

I bought my copy for $35 bucks years ago and I believe I've seen it advertised for the same price in a little ad in the back section of The Linking Ring, very recently. Might be worth a try checking back issues.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Their web site says the Miracle Factory's edition of the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic will be updated with commentaries and it should be a very high quality edition. Unfortunately, the pre-publication price of the deluxe signed limited edition is $300, with an expected ship date of December 2006. I couldn't find a price or date for the regular edition, but judging from other books on their site, it looks like $150 would be a good guess.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Difference between "encyclopaedia of impromptu magic" and "the magic book" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL