The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Car being keyed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
iarwain
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of iarwain
My car has been keyed three times in the last six months. I'm not sure who is doing it exactly although I have a few people in mind as possible suspects. I have a feeling this is going to continue. My impression is that there isn't a whole lot I can do about it. Anyone have any suggestions?
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Remote survellance and turn the video over to the police.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11173 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-01-12 14:52, Rob Eubank wrote:
Remote survellance and turn the video over to the police.

Ditto. And then Judge Judy.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
iarwain
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of iarwain
I have two problems with remote surveillance:

First off, it's pretty expensive, several hundred dollars at least. I guess I wouldn't mind spending it but:

Second, I think this has been happening at work, which is a health facility. Due to privacy laws, cameras are prohibited. They have security but it's a large place and they can't be everywhere.
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
I remember we had some items stolen from our garage at our old house (don't know how that happened) so our parents set up our sister's baby monitor camera thing pointing out the window with the little television part in their room...you may not stay up to constantly watch, but hey...it's cheap! Smile
Good luck!
If it is to be, it is up to me.
MikeSpark
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of MikeSpark
Put a hidden camera IN your car.

Mike
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4290 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Still could be illegal to film from your car.

Tell your boss and explain that you can't drive in to work if this keep happening and get them to give you some sort of parking spot next to the security office or perhaps start carpooling.
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
Park in a more survalianced area?

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Go to the head of the facility where you work and say your car has been vandalized in the grounds of the facility. Tell him that you wish to claim for the repairs and to sort out some protection for staff or you will take action.

Always report an incident to police as it will give you a legal record that can be used to prove things Smile
or
Pay a bum to watch your car!
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Install an "Auto Alarm" and instead of having it wired to your horn, have it wired to a detonator and a few sticks of TNT. I guarantee whoever the culprit is will NEVER do it again Smile .
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
iarwain
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of iarwain
Thanks for the suggestions, I think there are a couple of good ones.
The two people that I currently suspect both know where I live so simply removing the problem at work might not be good enough. But if they have to start striking at my house then maybe I can get them on film.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Surround your car with man-eating, killer sharks.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Suggestions:

1) Ride a bike to work.

2) Electrify your car, so that when they touch that key to it, the get a nice jolt of 100,000 watts or so.

3) Surround your car with man-eating, killer...oh wait, that has already been suggested, I apologize.

To be more serious. What if you put a sign on your dashboard, so it can easily be seen, saying something like "WARNING: YOU ARE BEING VIDEOTAPED". Even if you are not videotaping them, they probably won't take the chance of calling your bluff.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
danielrhall
View Profile
Regular user
NH, where some days I feel as dumb as
181 Posts

Profile of danielrhall
Two words: Trunk Monkey!
iarwain
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of iarwain
Quote:
Surround your car with man-eating, killer sharks.

Yes! With friggin'laser beams attached to their heads!
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
385 Posts

Profile of Bill
Quote:
On 2005-01-13 11:37, danielrhall wrote:
Two words: Trunk Monkey!

If you've never seen the Trunk Monkey videos, get prepared to laugh your butt off!
There are four of them. Go here----> http://www.trunkmonkey.com/#q003
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Here's what you can do. If you have a web cam, set your computer up in your garage (Shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes). Most web cams (Even cheap ones) come with software that can detect motion. For example, you can have the web cam pointed at your car (I guess you'd have to have the garage door open), and set the motion sensor on. When someone walks near your car, the web cam will start recording, and you’ll have your video.

Shane Wiker
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
It's probably a fellow magician and he is trying to be nice so you can always find your keyed car..only thing is he's not very smart and it's supposed to be a key card. :O)

On a more serious note, this must be frustrating and I hope you find a solution.

Chrystal
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Your profile doesn't tell me where you live, and that is important to waht am telling you because this is leagal in some states and not in others. There is a device you can install on a car called a Paine Generator. Named after the inventor. A casual bump to the car, or vibration from cars going by does nothing. A real assault on the car casues the devie to activate. It is hooked up to the coil (steps up the voltage) and puts 10,000 volts of fairly low amp electricity onto the shell of the car. This is a fine theft and vandalism deterent. but again, if you want to go this way, check your local laws first.

The other option is potentially very expensive and that is hire someone with a camera to sit all day with with a view of your car. I have known people that did that for a living, and they usually caught a fellon in a day or two.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27226 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Sometimes you have to choose which is more important.

Vandals in the parking lot at work may up the ante and attack patients and doctors.

Let's discuss watching your car from your house instead. Do what you need to do. Please ask for specific help of any of the obvious notions of bringing in your laptop and having a webcam on the thing, and just happening to have it set up so it watches your car from inside the building ... require more specific setup instructions
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Car being keyed (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL