The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Help! - UK Gypsy/Hindu/Dragon thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bigdunk007
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of bigdunk007
Hi guys - what is the best thread without having to pay a ridiculous amount of money that I can purchase in the UK to perform the hindu/gypsy/dragon thread trick. People always say - something obscure from an obscure shop, that you can hardly see or break with your hands when you perform, or is as wanky as wool. Please HELP!!!
gimmick1586
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of gimmick1586
You can buy that trick? Hmmm.. I know that one. Just to let you know that if they sell it that it is the routine and not a gimmick thread. But if there is nothing illegal I could send you some lecture notes I have of a trick called gypsy flawse which is the same thing. If that's legal and all.

Oh my **** all that work getting the routine ready for you and I misunderstood the question! Anyone else want it? Its called gypsy floss, which is based on the same principle as gypsy thread. But I'm only giving it to someone worthy so leave a short message/description why you think you should get it. Doestn't have to be long and first come first served.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
You could go to a Sewing supply store, or over here they are called fabric stores/shops, and look around for something that meets your needs.

If you have the effects/or have seen it up close, (for example I have Gypsy thread) and having seen the thread, and knowing the mehcanics of the effect, could probably fnd something that serves as a replacement when I run out. Then you have a good idea of what to look for. But if you dont have the effect, then you will have to search around and use trial and error - the way that the folks who created the effects probably did.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
If using sewing thread, get 100% cotton thread. Plyester is MUCH harder to break. For the Dragon Thread type of roiutine (which is a variation of Max Londono's "Eternal String") you need embroidery floss.

Any store that sells sewing supplies would have both of these.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
bigdunk007
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of bigdunk007
All I want to know is what thread to use, and where I can purchase it - rather than having to repurchase the whole effect or just the thread for $7.50. The reason being - I know the mechanics of the effect, I have just run out of the thread!!!
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Scot put his finger on it. If you want to do Dragon Thread, go to Hobby Craft and get embroidery floss. It comes in a small bundle made by DMC or Anchor and there are hundreds of colors to choose from.

If you are doing a spool based version of hindu thread, then consider using dental floss (but make sure it's waxed). Scot recommended cotton thread, but there is something to be said for waxed floss.

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1565 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Your making this way harder than it has to be. There is no "right" thread, per se.

Go to any store that sells thread, preferably a sewing or fabric store. The thread you buy needs to break easily, needs to roll up easily and needs to be seen easily.

Any good store has tons of rolls of thread. You can usually walk right up, unroll a foot, break it off and see if it rolls easily into a ball. As long as the thread can be seen, your in business.

I would recommend asking an employee for thread that easily breaks and start there. Thread is so cheap, even if you make a mistake, it won't cost you much.

Check out a Gypsy Floss routine. It is the same thing except that you get thread that everyone knows about, comes in a handy little carrying container, has a built in cutter and because it's waxed, rolls up like a dream.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Help! - UK Gypsy/Hindu/Dragon thread (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL