The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Common heckles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
In the "Just In Time For Valentine's Day" thread I mentioned that the most common heckle I hear at my performances is "Where's the red fur?", or words to that effect, as handcuffs are shown off. Perhaps this is something perculiar to the Leeds audiences I've been performing to, I don't know.. anyway, what "inventive" heckles do you all find you can bank on hearing the most? We could turn this into a sort of "I Spy Unimaginative Escape Show Heckler Lines".
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
At every gig, and I mean EVERY gig, with the exception of perhaps 2 or 3%, I hear the phrase 'Stick it up your ARS*', usually when the swords come out, though sometimes for the blockhead.

Last year I made a sign that says 'lets stick it up yours instead', after the heckle I smile in a self satisfied way, ask the crowd to wait for a moment and go to the back of the stage to get the sign. The pause while audience wonders whats going on makes the revelation of the sign perfect, I then ask the heckler to 'be a bit less obvious next time' and carry on. That tends to settle them down a bit as they are wondering what other signs I have up their Smile
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The nature of the challenges I used to do in college lead to the common jeer of "Hope you don't have to pee!" Some would be offended by that, but it was music to my ears as it meant I had the right attitude from my audience.

P.S. ROTFL S.G.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Helen. The next time, just ask them how they know you have ared fur unless they have used it or borrowed it from you.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Ever try cuffing the heckler up and have a marathon match against them
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Actually my stock line to anyone questioning my handcuffs is, "clearly we are in the prescence of a connoisseur", it lets them in on the joke and can become a fun running joke to keep referring back to. I always prefer to get hecklers onside where possible rather than turn nasty on them and, by extension, the rest of the audience.. I learnt the hard way that the surest way to alienate an audience and die on your arse is to be nasty. Jerry Sadowitz said that once you have the audience's respect, then you can tell them to **** off; but he's still the exception rather than the rule, and the Glasgow bearpit style doesn't export nearly as well as it's practitioners and fans might like to think.

David, ace work with the sign; I've thought about having a piece of red fur to hand for the same purpose. Actually though I much prefer it when people heckle, it gives me more material to use and makes the whole thing more interactive, so long as you can tell the difference between obnoxious hecklers and more light hearted ones who just want to get into the show more.
I also think any heckler response that takes longer than one or two lines is a failure; I've sat in comedy club audiences feeling rather left out as a comedian spent ten minutes addressing his repertoire of put-downs to a single heckler, to the exclusion of everyone else who just wanted him to get on with it.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Helenheld, on your 'fur' cuffs,
How about" I couldn't decide on red or leopard skin, so I picked something neutral,"

Ian
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
That is nice Ian. I like that response.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Now we know the rest of the story.
jamieallan
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of jamieallan
Pull out a pair of Fur cuffs and then put them on the heckler!!!

J
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Who knows the heckler might enjoy it.
bnadworn
View Profile
Regular user
Western New York
131 Posts

Profile of bnadworn
If I hear a good line from a heckler I try to remember it and use it myself in a preemptive fashion at my next show. I liked the sign idea. People think they are original.
There seem to be quite a few threads on handling hecklers. Helen, you seems to have a good attitude towards them.
You could keep the red fur handy.If the timing is right just wait a moment, smile, and then pull it out as if you are letting them in on a secret (even put a finger to your lips in a secretive manner). Then continue with your act.
Brings them into the act without making them feel bad and might keep them quiet.

- Brian Nadworny
"They say the hand is quicker than the eye but I won't believe it until I see it."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Common heckles (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL