The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Cheetah's Handbook (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
940 Posts

Profile of jbadman
The 'Heirloom Guys' at http://www.underground-collective.com would like to announce a new ebook that we'd like to bring to your attention:

'The Cheetah's Handbook'

It's a limited edition (150 copies then it's removed from the site) and is a collaboration between 10 magicians:

Kostya Kimlat, Andi Gladwin, Jamie Badman, Luke Dancy, Jack Parker, John Bodine, Colin Miller, Tyler Wilson, Rob James and Liam Montier.

Everyone has contributed material toward this single ebook. It's 50 pages in length and we've put a great deal of effort into this project to bring something that contains strong material, is well written and carefully laid out.

The ebook consists of entirely close-up material: Coins, mentalism, cards and some other more esoteric materials!

Really hope you guys like this one!

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
940 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Forgot to say:

The website has a full list of contents with brief descriptions of each effect - plus it has a video available showing one of the effects from the ebook!

Jamie.
Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
This looks very intriguing. Could someone post a review?
Just a magic lovin dude
jgodwin
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of jgodwin
I just picked this up - took the chance since I've never bought a bad effect from Jamie and Colin before. The book downloaded right away and I must say it looks superb! It's BIG and very nicely done. Loads of material in there, many are photo illustrated. I'm gonna work through it over the weekend - I'll try to do a review next week - but just thought I'd post my initial reactions.

John
Seth
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Seth
Why is it limited? especially since it's an ebook...
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
940 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Hi,

It's not a new concept; Bob Cassidy and Tom Stone both limit their ebooks. The guys wanted this one limited simply to make it a little more exclusive.

Jamie.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Downloaded it today - first impression is good.

Tomorrow I will print it out and read through it. I will post my review then.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
I gave in to temptation and downloaded this! Just read it all through. Thirteen effects from ten different magicians. Has that been done in an ebook before?
I like all the tricks and have run through a few of them.

I am quite looking forward to trying a trick called Hollywood or Bust. It uses a mentalism principle that lets you know what someone has written down before they have written down. There's an element of risk here but I can imagine it would really freak people out when it is successful (most of the time!!)

Also there is a cool trick where you produce someone's selected card from a mobile phone! I am a sucker for novelty card tricks. There is also a principle described here that can be used next time you are in a supermarket. You can convince whoever you are with that expensive items cost very little. I can see this principle being very useful in certain circumstances.

There are also a lot of straightforward card tricks, I liked the ones by Kostya Kimlat, Andi Galdwin, Luke Dancy, Jamie Bodman and Jack Parker - actually, forget that... I liked them all!!

I have been disappointed with ebooks before but this one is a winner Smile
Just a magic lovin dude
GReaper
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of GReaper
Hollywood or Bust is serious stuff! Freak em out?... It will knock em bandy! So simple but SO effective. I am a little disappointed that this idea now has a commercial release its been kicking around on the underground circuit for a while and I must admit I have always been fearful that all and sundry would get hold of this little gem, at least the manuscript is being limited to 150 copies so not everyone will start doing it! I like the book cover too! Whats the connection?
Grim Reaper

Top Childrens Entertaner (CRB checked)

(AKA Bob Stevens)
WaterTorture
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of WaterTorture
Mr Badman,

I bought your book as I was very interested in the creators. I have heard of some of them - Kostya Kimlat, Andi Gladwin and Tyler Wilson - because they have had tricks published in MAGIC MAGAZINE.

This book is a really fun read. I am surprised it is only an ebook. It would have made a perfect printed book.

Did everyone else like the book too? Please share your favourite routine! I liked Safety Zone.

Thanks for publishing this. I will read it again.
jgodwin
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of jgodwin
Well I've had some time to work through these routines and here's a brief review of the ebook...

First, the presentation of the ebook - from the excellent cover to the concise text is a delight compared to many ebooks I've encountered in the past. This, however, was to be expected, since I've never purchased anything from The Underground Collective that hasn't valued presentation of the product as well as the content.

There are either one or two effects from each contributor. My favourite routine by far is Tyler Wilson's 'Clean Sanchez' which while not technical difficult is both entertaining and visual. Hollywood or Bust is also a superb concept for a mentalist. Jack Parker's card effect shown in the video is also of note. Jamie Badman has a routine in there which is a great approach to cards to pocket with a killer repeat!

The Luke Dancy contribution is a sweet little four card revelation that reads dry but looks really good. Andi Gladwin's effect is like a small packet rise which again, I like - you see a trend ? There's nothing in this manuscript that I can honestly say I don't like... except...

Liam Montier's the guy who created a favourite routine of mine: Henry Sugar. Well his effect in here is similar in so far as it's clever, requires little real handling and will fool you badly!

There are two coin-based routines and I've never found coins to be my thing. I'll be honest, I skipped over these - but I'd have no reason to believe these would be of any lesser quality than the other effects in the manuscript.

There's a really nice idea - not so much of an effect - by Rob James which I think will lead to some great gags as well as some excellent 'impromptu' magic.

John Bodine has a really 'off the wall' routine in which your mobile phone PRINTS a card! I've not tried this yet but it sounds as though, if you have the right kind of phone (flip-phone) it'll work a treat.

Oh, and finally the Kostya Kimlat routine is GREAT. There's an easier way to achieve the effect (which is mentioned in the notes) but the routine uses the method given in order to apply the correct pace to the routine and the final revelations. This depth of thinking is greatly appreciated, at least by myself and gives food for thought as well as just another card trick.

I know I'm gushing a little and I've not criticized anything at all. Sometimes life's just like that though: I've bought some good ebooks, some bad ebooks but never something with this amount of solid material, presented so well, for such a good price. In a way it's a shame it's a limited release because other creators of ebooks could use this as a good standard for producing quality work.

Absolutely recommended.

Downloadable from:

http://www.underground-collective.com/ef......ct_id=11

John.
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I got mine from http://www.magic-notes.com first impressions are very good, but I haven't read through it all yet.

Here is Tyler Wilson performing his Clean Sanchez:
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=4582
~joeKing
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
The technical requirements on this one is high. If you are not a finger-flinging technocardician, there will be many effects that are not doable for you. Otherwise, as above, you'll probably like it.

Card folks and Mentalists will love Hollywood or Bust, but working psychics will have discovered and covered this one ages ago.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
jgodwin
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of jgodwin
Personally I didn't have a problem with the difficulty level - given that the list of contents shows predominantly card effects I expected some card sleights to be required (the Jack Parker and Tyler Wilson videos clearly show effects that aren't self working!). But there's not much, if anything, beyond an average card man - stuff like a pass, elmsley, d-lift, top change etc (talking of which, the timing of that top change in Kostya's effect is just in the right place; lovely!).

I think if you're a relative beginner to card magic then you'll struggle with some of the card material in here but if you're comfortable with the standard card moves then you'll find the material straight-forward! At least I did - and I don't rate my self as some hot-shot finger flinger!

John
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I don´t agree with Tom Jorgenson: (Quote) The technical requirements on this one is high. If you are not a finger-flinging technocardician, there will be many effects that are not doable for you.
It is true that some sleights are required, and these sleights are a little more comlicated than a DL. But nothing really special.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
tache magic
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of tache magic
My name is Mike and I am considering buying this book. My question is. Is this magic suitable for "workers" in the "real world"? I certainly have my "chops" but I dislike "running when not being chased" and effects which are "guilding the lilly".

I awaite your response.

your freind in magic.

Magic Mike
tache magic
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of tache magic
Mr Bad man,

You replide. And now its gone! You really are a cheater.

Now that's magic!.

Your freidn in mystery post deletion!

Magic mike
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
940 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Hi,

Well I replied then thought I really should leave this question to be answered by a purchaser, not by myself - who being involved with this ebook is undoubtedly biased.

So if anyone would care to comment, I'm sure 'Tache Magic' would appreciate it!

I will add, however, that I know for sure Tyler Wilson uses 'Clean Sanchez' in his regular restaurant gig (you can see the video earlier in this thread).

Jamie.
Tyler Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
Calgary
123 Posts

Profile of Tyler Wilson
Hey Magic Mike,
I'm not sure what Jamie said, but let's hope I don't utter the same catastrophic words.

Being part of this project, I can wholeheartedly state that not only are the vast majority of the routines suitable for "Workers", but they were actually designed for that purpose. Remember, we actually perform these routines ourselves, so we want them to be practical for us. The fact that they're also practical for everyone else is just a sweet bonus.

And contrary to Tom Jorgenson's post, I think almost all of the card sleights used can be found in Card College Vol. 1 (or are at that level). But everyone has their own opinion. Tomato Tomato (well, I guess it doesn't translate well to print).

Mike, if you decide to pick it up, be sure to let us all know how you like it!

Tyler Wilson
Tyler Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
Calgary
123 Posts

Profile of Tyler Wilson
Oops, Jamie replied while I was writing my last post.

He's a little more tactful than I am, so I guess I should follow suit and let people who have bought the book answer your question. I just wanted to give you a "behind-the-scenes" answer. Oh well.

Thanks for the diplomatic response Jamie, I've got a lot to learn from you!

Tyler Wilson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Cheetah's Handbook (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.92 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL