The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Cheetah's Handbook (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
tache magic
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of tache magic
Thank you both of you. I am impressed by your tact and class, maguic needs more of you.

If I get one or two tricks from every ebook I purchase then I consider that to be an investment.

I am now going to get ths ebook and I will give an over view before putting the items into my "working repetoire" "in the trenches".

Your freind in anticipation.

magic Mike
magickevinCA
View Profile
New user
Oceanside, CA
30 Posts

Profile of magickevinCA
I got this e-book today and took a quick peek to see what I was getting myself into. The variety of magic is nice and each effect reads nice so after I have read more tonight I will let other people know what I think. One thing I can say for sure right now is that the booklet is put together good and it's obvious that it took some time to put together. Thank you for sharing this with us Cheetahs.
jb
View Profile
New user
Mt. View, CA
24 Posts

Profile of jb
I contributed to the project and I promise you I perform the cell phone trick regulary, always to good reaction. Occasionally I get a reaction way beyond what I would imagine the effect would produce, but on the whole it gets good reaction.

John Bodine
tache magic
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of tache magic
Wow. Is all I can say.

If pushed I could also say.

I bought this last night and I am very impressed with this ebook. The trick I liked best on first skim through was a trick called physchic weetbix.

I couldn't sleep last night because of Rick so I went to the 24 hour supermarket and tried it out there and then for Wendy! This would be great to "unleash the moment" in a supermarket. I am filming for meridian news next week and may include this.

There are plenty of items to keep me busy in the long months ahead. I'm off to try John Bodines routine which I beleive may just be "worth the price of the book".

Your freind in reviews,

Magic mike.
WaterTorture
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of WaterTorture
Tache,

I'm glad you tried this. My family thought I was crazy when I did this in Safeways yersterday. It sure was fun though. I did the razor blades idea - funny (and strong) stuff.
smokinJ
View Profile
New user
another planet (or so my mom says)
7 Posts

Profile of smokinJ
Dang! I bought this but I wont be able to try the wheetibix trick because in my area (california) they don't have scanners but it sounds awesome! He tache, I have a fone that works for the cell phone trick and it payed off right away! this girl at school even wrote her number on the card and I'm claling her this weekend!! I also did the dancy dancing trick and then straght into twisting the aces and daleys trick after that, its an AWESOME routine. next I'm gonig to learn CONFUSION because I've mastered what I need for it. maybe when I go out with erin we'll go to a movie and I'll try hollywood or bust on her!

I use severl things from this, it's AWESOME!

smokinj
and so I said.... its magic!
Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
So what we all want to know is...

When is Cheetah's Handbook volume 2 coming out??! Smile Smile
Just a magic lovin dude
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
944 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Just a brief post to let you know there's a free card effect available (Dancin' with Dancy) on our website which is extracted from the new ebook "The Cheetah's Handbook". There's also a video clip of the performance too.

To get the clip, simply visit:

http://www.underground-collective.com/newsletter/signup.php

To sign up - which gives you access to our new 'members' area which currently contains this 'freebie' and which will soon contain many more free effects and videos also.

Regards,

Jamie Badman
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
VBall
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
165 Posts

Profile of VBall
Still waiting for someone to give a more detailed review.

I kinda have a problem with ebooks. Even though it is limited to 150 copies, there will be people out there that will just distribute/trade them... the 150 will then ben 150,000 copies. Well, that's a problem on its own...
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
944 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Yeah, that's traditionally a problem (though before email, Lorayne was trying to discourage photocopying of Apocalypse; copying has and always will exist).

But both Underground Collective and Magic Notes (the two sites where these notes are sold) run an ebook security system which helps discourage copying:

All ebooks are password protected with a password relating to the buyer.

Every page of each ebook is personalised to the purchaser.

These measures are, I think, quite effective against the casual copier; you might pass it on I guess - but only to people you trust won't pass it on yet further - can you *really* trust someone else not to do that at some stage ? If they do, your copy is 'out there' and it's got your name all over it!

If we catch any illicit copies being copies around, we WILL name and shame.

Here's another issue related to photocopying. I have quite a rare book at home - I have a first edition of Derren Brown's 'Pure Effect' - it contains two effects which he chose to withdraw from further reprints of the book. The first edition was only printed in a VERY small number.

However, in some of the peer to peer systems and internet 'fileshares' these withdrawn effects exist in scanned format for anyone to download.

This from a printed book.

As I say, ebook or printed, if it's good, it'll get copied. Fact of life.

The only guaranteed way to get the material, however, is to buy it now. And the only way to keep it exclusive is if each buyer upholds the trust we ultimately have to place in them as a seller.

Regards,

Jamie.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Copying and selling can lead to interesting problems: for example I sell my copy on ebay (I sell the data on CD and a printed copy. If the buyers buys my copy, he is the rightful owner of this copy. But how can you control that I don´t have held back a copy of the data?

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
944 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Can't control that - but I wouldn't want to sell a book with my email all over it and neither would I like to buy such a book.

The same principles apply with printed material - when I see Maven's colour books of mentalism offered on ebay, what guarantee do I have the seller has not already photocopied the pages ? Same for video and dvd.

Jamie.
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
Here is my personal review...

The Cheetah’s Handbook

Downloadable e-book.

http://www.underground-collective.com/

Price:
€ 16.00
$ 22.00
£ 12.00

The Underground collectives seem to pride themselves on being youthful, well tested and ambitious in their releases. The Cheetah’s Handbook proves this out…again.

This handsomely crafted E-book delivers a smorgasbord of card magic, mentalism and even a touch of “street sharkery”! The contributors to this downloadable product are to be reckoned with;

The contributors include: Jamie Badman, Andi Gladwin, Colin Miller, Kostya Kimlat, Tyler Wilson, Liam Montier, Jack Parker, John Bodine, Rob James and Luke Dancy.

Coins, cards, billets, phones, jewellery and even supermarkets…yes…supermarkets are all used to good effect. Weird and mind probing mentalism, funny shopping trips, unreal phone calls and stunning card transformations queue up for attention

Highlights? Where to start….
Aces and Kings?…sweet and simple!
Hollywood or Bust?…my personal favourite.
Psychic Weetabix (Shredded Wheat)?!?…(I’m not kidding)

If you are into magic at all, I am positive you will find something you will like and use in here. If you work on stage, strolling, at a table on TV or just in the pub with your friends you will come away with performance material.

Skill level:
1)You will be well served by a small repertoire of sleights and moves for some effects.
2)A number of the card and coin tricks use moves that moderately skilled magicians would be familiar with.
3)A number of tricks are easily achievable by a moderately comfortable newcomer.

Overall I would say this is an entertainingly written, well laid out collection of quality tricks at a variety of skill levels for a range of likes and disciplines. How’s that? The Cheetah’s Handbook might sound like a gamble to some people but if it is…it’s one that pays off well. Should serve performers for years to come.

...well done I say!
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Hi,

Thanks for the review!

Best,
Andrew Loh

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
VBall
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
165 Posts

Profile of VBall
Jamie,

you're right about books; they do get copied. But for me, I think they are a little different in the respect that you have something tangible even if there are copies out there. Ebooks when copied are exactly the same as the originals... that's the main difference for me.

That being said, I think its great that you guys are working towards better security and personalization of each copy. Only time will tell.
JarrodHenry
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of JarrodHenry
I think that, having downloaded the Cheetah's Handbook, that they have a very adequate security system in place. Not only putting the password on but also having the personalization will pretty much gurantee that no copies of this product will get out without SOMEONE being to blame. And, the magic community being what it is, if someone DOES let their copy get out of control it's all but guranteed that they won't be getting another cheetah book, much less any other ebook out there.

So.. long and short of it is, yeah, ebooks will be copied. So will print books. (I've seen the entire Tarbell course offered online, and NOT the one http://www.lybrary.com sells) People will scan and distribute. It's just a way of the net.

Me, personally, every trick in this book is worth it. It's a low price to pay.
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Quote:
On 2005-01-19 11:12, JarrodHenry wrote:
I think that, having downloaded the Cheetah's Handbook, that they have a very adequate security system in place. Not only putting the password on but also having the personalization will pretty much gurantee that no copies of this product will get out without SOMEONE being to blame. And, the magic community being what it is, if someone DOES let their copy get out of control it's all but guranteed that they won't be getting another cheetah book, much less any other ebook out there.

I'm sure Jamie won't mind me telling you that the security and delivery system put in place on Magic Notes and Underground Collective is very heavily based on an idea of mine. I just wanted to say that you've hit the nail on the head Jarrod, about what the system is about. I put a lot of thought into how I could secure PDF files and quickly realised that I couldn't; based on Adobe's product, it simply isn't possible at this time. So, I worked out a way based on ethics, and from watching the trends from Jamie's ebooks, it works.

I worked on the Cheetah's Handbook with Jamie (I did the cover/layout and some editing), so can't really comment too much, but I would like to say that it is a really fun book, full of really strong material. I'm really proud of this project, and I think you'll be proud of your purchase.

--Andi
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
944 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Hmmm... well it was derived from a brainstorm we had, as I recall ;-)

Let's settle for:

Initial concept by Gladwin
Concept development by Gladwin and Badman
Design and Development by Badman

Gotta get your credits right ;-)

But to get back on topic - what do people think of the 'Freebie' from Luke Dancy ?Like it ?!

Jamie.
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Jamie,

The point of my post was not to claim credit: my post just needed framing, else it would have just sounded like unfounded wittering about your sites. But yes, that's what I said: your system is based on my concept (originally devised with a conversation with Andy Leviss about our A² site), and that's a fact that has been established several times before.

--Andi

P.S - Buy more Cheetah's!
jgodwin
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of jgodwin
RE Credit for the protection system... 'Whatever'. Fact is, UC did it and it works a treat (I've bought all the UC downloads) and UC / Magic Notes provide a great service.

Sure, ebooks can be copied but so can everything. A previous poster was suggesting he'd not want to buy a limited edition ebook because someone might copy theirs and therefore make it not so limited...

Marlo's Magazines were copied left right and centre. I've seen copies of these. It's my understanding Marlo wasn't too happy about this either. But it happened then, it happens now and it'll happen a decade from now. Fact is, if something is good and contains material you can use or learn from then get it. Especially if it's limited - because despite being copied, Marlo Magazines are still a nightmare to find.

I'm glad I've already got my copy of this. Read this thread; I think there's just one guy who found it to be 'not his thing' - everyone else raves. I hope these guys do another of these ebooks. I think why I like this so much is, unlike some ebooks from an individual, there's not the usual 'fluff' here; each person has been able to consider what material to include and hasn't had to pad the book out. Wish there were more collaborations for books.

Anyway, that's what I think ;-)

Oh... the Dancy 'freebie' - I read it in the book itself and although it was nice, I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have done: The video on the UC site shows how it should look and I must say for something so simple it's really effective! Nice.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Cheetah's Handbook (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL