The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Can you pull a rabbit out of a hat? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Can you pull a rabbit out of a hat?

When people find out you do magic do they ever ask you to pull a rabbit out of a hat?

Although I actually know several methods, I have never performed this classic, nor have I actually seen another magician do so either.

Question 1: Do you get the rabbit out of a hat question?

Question 2: Have you EVER actually seen a magician pull a rabbit out of a hat?

Ron Calhoun
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-01-15 00:44, RonCalhoun wrote:
Can you pull a rabbit out of a hat?

When people find out you do magic do they ever ask you to pull a rabbit out of a hat?

Question 1: Do you get the rabbit out of a hat question?

Question 2: Have you EVER actually seen a magician pull a rabbit out of a hat?


Yes!

Yes!

Question 3: Have you ever done it? Yes!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I get this question all the time. Actually, I get tired of hearing that and "can you make my wife dissappear?" Anyway,I usually say, "yes I can, I just can't figure out how to get it in there without your seeing it!"
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11957 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yes, many times. I even had a special hat to produce the rabbit but unfortunately, my young rabbit got in the hat and didn't want to come out:)
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Candini,

About twenty years back it became the fashion to produce live bunnies from huge brandy snifters in nightclub and hotel magic. The problem was the same. The bunnies enjoyed being in the "hole" and hated coming out. (And people ask if the rabbits are mistreated? Well we did have to wake them up!)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11957 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
LOL.....Bob, nice and cozy who would want to come out?:)
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
I was under the impression that the original way to do it was to steal and load the rabbit in.
That would take some misdirection!!
Does anyone perform this version still?
ckaleto
View Profile
New user
FRANCE
14 Posts

Profile of ckaleto
Quote:
On 2005-01-25 09:39, Elliott Hodges wrote:
I was under the impression that the original way to do it was to steal and load the rabbit in.
That would take some misdirection!!
Does anyone perform this version still?


If I remember, it 's the version described by the Masked Magician = Valentino.
A dove is not a gimmick ...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22243 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Alan Shaxon of England performs this effect and at his lectures. His is the best method.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
Thanks guys.
How could you load a rabbit in the hat though?
I mean you can't exactly finger palm it.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1608 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2005-01-26 14:33, wmhegbli wrote:
Alan Shaxon of England performs this effect and at his lectures. His is the best method.


Hi Bill.
Eric Sharp has the best method. I'm presently using his way for the hat production.
Actually, there is no body,or table steal.
Richard Lyn
ChrisJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Lapeer, MI
222 Posts

Profile of ChrisJ
While on the topic of Rabbit in the hat. I have been thinking of maybe getting a pet rabbit to work into a few small illusions for the shows I will be doing for my sons school each year. I started this year and I want to carry it out while he is in grade school. Is there a preferred breed? Books on training them for magic etc?

Chris
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Definitely.
I have a show that revolves and builds around pulling a rabbit from a hat. I use the rabbit I am holding for this.
Daniel Faith
Magic Blinds
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Magic Blinds
You can have a hat with a preloaded bunny inside, 2 words: black art.
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
I asked a question about misdirection for rabbit loads. Can anybody answer it?

Posted: Apr 2, 2005 4:10am
---------------------------------------------------------
Sorry about my rudeness guys
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22243 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-01-25 09:39, Elliott Hodges wrote:
I was under the impression that the original way to do it was to steal and load the rabbit in.
That would take some misdirection!!
Does anyone perform this version still?


Again, Alan Shaxon of England. He comes down in the audience with a tripod table. He displays the hat, shows the table clothe and table. Places the Hat on the table and produces a live rabbit.

I have given several members the information for this wonderful production. None thought to use it, because it is not a box or tube, so it is dismissed by them. It only requires a tripod table, table cloth, and a Top Hat. That is an investment of anywhere from $150 to $300 depending the quality of the props.

Finally, it requires practice, and a good amount of it to present it with the excitement and flare it deserves.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2005-04-02 04:57, wmhegbli wrote:


Again, Alan Shaxon of England. He comes down in the audience with a tripod table. He displays the hat, shows the table clothe and table. Places the Hat on the table and produces a live rabbit.

I have given several members the information for this wonderful production. None thought to use it, because it is not a box or tube, so it is dismissed by them. It only requires a tripod table, table cloth, and a Top Hat. That is an investment of anywhere from $150 to $300 depending the quality of the props.

Finally, it requires practice, and a good amount of it to present it with the excitement and flare it deserves.



I am very interested in the Shaxon version you describe . Everything I've ever read from Shaxon is top-notch , very well thought out magic.

Is his rabbit production in a book or lecture notes?

Also, have you taken a look at Billy McComb's?

It's here on the Steven's Gemini Archives:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/gemini/Billy......tion.htm
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:
On 2005-04-02 10:20, David Todd wrote:

I am very interested in the Shaxon version you describe . Everything I've ever read from Shaxon is top-notch , very well thought out magic.

Is his rabbit production in a book or lecture notes ?


I'm not sure, but I found an email address for Mr. Shaxon. Look at the link below for his contact info.

http://www.themagiccircle.co.uk/alanshaxon.shtml

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Use a Rabbit prop. Stuff in the bottom of a black lined hat. Place Silk over rabbit (you know what color) and voila.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Just a note that usually gets overlooked. Tarbell has many rabbit productions; in fact one version is similar to an Alan Shaxon production. I keep forgetting the quality of magic buried within Tarbell's pages. I usually end up kicking myself for not looking there in the first place, remembering that the material is far from outdated.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Can you pull a rabbit out of a hat? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL