The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Thumbfan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
itexus
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of itexus
As a regular thumbfan isent a magic trick it aint against the forum rules to reveal some good grips. How do you do your thumbfan? feel free to post pictures or links.
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
I use my pinky, its my own personal method. I call it "THE PINKY FAN"
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
itexus
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of itexus
Ok, I hold my deck between my indexfinger and the thumb, then I spread them.. but I cant do it so wide Smile .. I can post a picture on it later..
itexus
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of itexus
These upload limits are crazy.. if I upload a picture that is 300*100 pixels you cant see anything at all.. :S well.. I just upload the pictures on another server then..

Here is a picture when I do it with the whole deck:
http://zion.olf.sgsnet.se:8080/flik/shit/IMAG0001.JPG

Here is another with around half the deck:
http://zion.olf.sgsnet.se:8080/flik/shit/IMAG0002.JPG

Here is the exactly same as before, but from the facedown-side:
http://zion.olf.sgsnet.se:8080/flik/shit/IMAG0003.JPG

I don't think my grip is so good.. what do you think?
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
What up man, You want to have the deck squared in the left hand in the crook of the thumb, and the hand. Then your middle finger is on the back, while your left thumb is on the front of the deck. With your right thumb you spread the cards around to the right while you hold pressure with your middle, and thumb of the left hand. Release pressure as needed to get the cards to spread evenly. It takes a bit to get it down but the grip is for sure the most important thing. In the pics it looks more as if your doing a one hand fan from where your grip ends up. Try only holding the cards mainly with the left hand between the thumb and middle fingers as sort of your pivot point. The pinky thing above was messing around but for real I use my middle finger on the right hand to spread the cards more then I use my right thumb. Try that as well. The best thing would be to pick up a McBride dvd or check out a few flourish books. you really need the proper grip to exicute this move well. I know its hard to follow from my description but its all a practice thing and the right grip. Hope that helps a little.
www.chriskeppel.com
Brickster
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Brickster
Trying something like this?

MnemonicaRedux
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of MnemonicaRedux
No real comment than this, but I'd say this is more of a "one handed fan" than a "thumb fan" Smile

Bone gave me some real good tips on this, and Huron Low has a wicked one too. But remember to just practice, because that's an essential part of growth Smile

-Kev
Brickster
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Brickster
Actually they aren't one handed fans, I created them with only my index finger and thumb, thumb fans.
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
That is still considered a one hand fan, if you use the thumb, certain finger, or hand grip to produce the fan. What your doing in the pics is basicly a one hand fan. I beleive what itexus is asking about is the fan where the deck is held in the left hand and the right hand comes over and makes the fan in about a second. Correct me if I'm wrong itexus but the one that I'm refering to is known as the thumb fan. There are many ways to do a one handed fan. Most are just a little different grip or method but all end up in the same display. I know for a fact in your pics that your doing one handed fans because your holding 2 fans. A true thumb fan is when the whole deck is in one hand and the other hand spreads to complete the look and the deck is then displayed. I guess you could call what your doing a one hand thumb fan for that matter.
www.chriskeppel.com
Brickster
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Brickster
You're telling me that what itexus is trying to do is this:

And he came up with what he posted?
Brickster
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Brickster
Sorry if I got mixed up earlier, unfortunately I know about 35 ways to fan a deck and I can get confused sometimes.
Burns
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of Burns
Lmao. lol. that's a lot of fanning
"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous..." -GrumpyOwl-

"I don't invent, I do Personal Discoveries" - Myself-
Brickster
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Brickster
I seriously think I could spend a good 5 mins solid just busting out fans on a video.
itexus
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of itexus
Chris Keppel, Sorry for the misunderstanding. But I meant was a 'one handed fan'.
Alothugh I wish to learn the real thumbfan aswell! Your description was good and easy too read, thanks! Smile (But what do you mean by: 'You want to have the deck squared in the left hand..'? what do you mean by squared? I think I know.. just have the deck evenly collected?..) my english aint that good Smile

Brickster, Thanks for the pictures! A little hard to follow with out a plain text description tough.. but I will try Smile
Brickster
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Brickster
I would very very highly recommend that you get the EoPCF from http://flourishman.com

It covers what you have asked here and so much more.
itexus
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of itexus
Brickster, Thanks for the tip.. but the book with its black & white colors looks pretty 'dry' too me :S I'll learn easier from a modern video.. I see that he has DVD's aswell, but I think I will buy another that has more then only flourishes in it..
mcmc
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of mcmc
I would still try to plow through a book. They're cheaper, you can read them anywhere and at your own pace, and most importantly, it lets you figure out the best way to do a fan ACCORDING TO YOUR STYLE AND HAND SHAPE. I learned a lot from McBride's DVD's, but only after I'd been fanning for several years, and so I was able to integrate what he taught into my way of doing it. The thing with video is that you feel like your way of shuffling/fanning/cutting/flourishing needs to look *exactly* like how Mr. De'Vo or whoever does it, but that puts undue and unresonable pressure on you, because your hand size, the width of your palm, the length of your fingers, etc. etc. are different from the people on the video's appendages.

A book I'd recommend is 'Card Manipulations' (as well as 'More Card Manipulations') by Jean Hugard. They're about $6.50 each at Borders and Barnes, they almost all of the flourishes taught on people's dvd's and then some (plus tricks), and they're classics. Sure, the sybil and cobra and python and whatever aren't on them, but these are the foundations you need to build on.
itexus
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of itexus
Ah, thanks mcmc for the tip.. pretty cheap books for $6.50 I think I will buy them Smile But do you have the URL to Borders and Barnes?

I can say that I allready have pressure on me to do everything flawless.. I'm that kind of person.. training training training... :S as long as I get somewhere I think its pretty fun Smile
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I've never read card manipulators, so they may be great. Don't however reject the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes. I have to say it is my favorite book. If you are interested in manipulating cards it has enough to keep you busy with cool tricks to last a looooong time. Think LX Quad Cut. It has no magic though.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2115 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Itexus, you may want to check out Jeff McBride's Card Manipulation DVDs. I believe it's volume 2 that covers a decent variety of fans. That's what I learned from. Jerry's book is also good, but I like teaching videos as well.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Thumbfan (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL