The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Hollywood or bust? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
mag1c kev1n
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of mag1c kev1n
Hello I am very interested in this mindreading effect. The effect is that you are able to reveal the scene in a movie that someone is thinking of. Apparently they don't tell you the movie or even write it down... this sounds pretty good but I would like to know if it's practical for day to day preforming situations...

Thanks
Kev1n
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
918 Posts

Profile of jbadman
'Hollywood or Bust' is by Colin Miller. It's a mentalism effect which extends the use of a peek in a really nice way. It's available in the new ebook "The Cheetah's Handbook" which you can read more about in the 'Reviews' 'books, manuscript' section - but basically it's an ebook consisting of 13 effects by 10 different magicians, 50 pages in length and meticulously written and laid out. You can get it at: http://www.underground-collective.com

Any more questions, feel free to ask!

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
This is the strongest routine I do.

In the right atmosphere and with the right film I have had people, scream, cry and stand in open mouthed amazement...brilliant work by Clolin Miller...but it must be done well!
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
GReaper
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of GReaper
Hollywood or Bust is a routine that I use ALL THE TIME. Very easy to learn, its a killer... a real killer. This version in particular doesn't use any gaffs so its impromptu, very nice... Just wish I could have thought of it first! Worth the price of the book alone. Some very strong stuff in this new book, I also love the Barcode thing what a fantastic idea... pure genious!
Grim Reaper

Top Childrens Entertaner (CRB checked)

(AKA Bob Stevens)
mag1c kev1n
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of mag1c kev1n
This sounds awesome. Thanks for the info! I love Heirloom so I think this is going to be a must buy!!
dr.strange
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of dr.strange
Hi All

I was wondering does the " Hollywood or Bust" effect use the same methodology as
" Sensory Perception" which is also by the underground collective.

Both effects call for the spec to think of a movie, which is then revealed by the performer.
Sensory perception uses a small list of movies from which the spec chooses, is this the case with " Hollywood or bust"

Also if they use different methodologies, which effect, in your opinion, is better

Thanks
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
They are totally different in methodology and this makes them impossible to compare.

Both use time honoured techniques to achieve a powerful mentalism effect.

It REALLY is down to the skill and presentation ability of the performer to make it sparkle.
DYL
View Profile
New user
Sheffield, UK
73 Posts

Profile of DYL
Are there several effects a mentalist can use from this ebook?
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1795 Posts

Profile of Daren
I have this and am very pleased with my purchase, however can someone send me perhaps a method for the center tear glimpse that they mention in the ebook, jamie can you help me with this effect?
GReaper
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of GReaper
Centre tear can be found in 13 steps, also Richard Busch has some fantastic books out on peeks!
Grim Reaper

Top Childrens Entertaner (CRB checked)

(AKA Bob Stevens)
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
918 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Daren; you don't need to do a centre tear for Hollywood or Bust - any peek will do. I highly recommend Richard Busch's books on the subject.

Jamie.
chicagoman
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of chicagoman
The effect is described as not having to write anything down, but obviously you do for a peek. What would make this anymore outstanding than other peek revealed? Just the theme?
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
918 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Chicagoman - it's not described like that at all. The first post in this topic is, however, accurate. Any more than that you'll have to find out by buying the manuscript ;-)

Jamie.
Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
I did this trick last night for a group of people at a party and it was easily the most powerful thing I showed them. I was a bit dubious before trying it but... WOW!! This is such an intelligent and devious use of a peek. I agree that any peek, be it a centre tear or otherwise will do. I use the Perfected Centre tear.
dr.strange
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of dr.strange
Hi all

I am interested in Hollywood or Bust, and since it uses a different methodolgy to Sensory Perception which I already own, I will probably buy it. However, I am a bit confused.

The first post states that: "The effect is that you are able to reveal the scene in a movie that someone is thinking of." Apparently they don't tell you the movie or even WRITE IT DOWN.

This statement is backed up by jbadman when he says, "The first post in this topic is, however, accurate."

Then the methodolgy is tipped, or a part of it, it turns out to be a peek. Herein lies my confusion because people are talking about the different types of peeks/ tears they are using. (Don't know if that is a wise thing on the open part of the forum)

If nothing is written down as was first stated in the description, why the need for peeks and tears.

I have most of the underground collective material and I have to say it is superb.

Thanks
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
1) "Hollywood or bust" is film themed. A tiny, TINY bit of information is written down by the spectator.

2) "Sensory Perception" is also film themed and involves no writing whatsoever.
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
918 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Sensory Projection is a completely different concept and totally unrelated to Hollywood or Bust, as Tom implies.

Sensory Projection utilises a new approach to Progressive Anagrams to achieve its results while Hollywood or Bust takes a small piece of peeked information and builds it to a miracle. The first post in this topic, as I've said before, is accurate. I can't really elaborate any further - to do so would be to really give away too much of the mechanics. Suffice to say it's a lovely idea and routine - and it's just one of thirteen effects you get in the manuscript - pretty good value for money, I think ;-)

Jamie.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I bought it. I'd say you'd best have your chops down regarding sleights.

When are the required sleights (or even the level of sleights required) going to be listed as a common courtesy for these e-books? Had I known that the sleights were way beyond my level of expertise (and way beyond my level of desire to learn) I would have not bought this. For me, a waste of money. It's a wonderful fuzz-bunny for finger-flingers, I suppose, tho from my perspective, most are full of convoluted sleights that travel old territory, and several are methods that no one will do (the grocery store thing???? waste of digital space) and some are alterante methods that do not improve upon originals. (convoluted do-as-I-do with packets does not improve upon the whole deck effect.)

Hollywood or Bust, by the way, is something any psychic with any road-time behind them has already perfected on their own. Old news to mentalists, but probably hot stuff if a card-guy thinks it up.

Now, I could be wrong, probably am...but:
How does one go about selling a copy of an E=book? Forward the original file and then remove it from the harddrive? Sell a hardcopy and then remove the file from the hard drive? Or is this a question best asked in another thread?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
918 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Tom; sorry the book wasn't for you. The level of difficulty of most effects actually isn't that high in my opinion; there are far more 'flingy' effects out there than those in this ebook. Moves such as the mexican turnover, top-change and pass are really well within the arsenal of the average card worker and there's little in the ebook that extends greatly beyond this level of difficulty of sleight.

Regarding 'Hollywood or Bust', you say it's old news to mentalists - if this is the case why have so many mentalists responded to us saying how good the routine is and how they use it in their professional act ? (It was included in a marketed product a while back as a 'bonus' effect - we've re-written it, added some additional ideas and included it in this ebook).

Regards,

Jamie.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5811 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Could somebody describe the effect a little more? Is it as simple as a spec thinking of a scene from a movie and you telling them? Does the e-book add some "hollywood" to the revelation?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Hollywood or bust? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL