The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Large Loads and Pouches: Necessary? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
garyanimal
View Profile
Regular user
UK
136 Posts

Profile of garyanimal
The pouch has one draw back, in the end it will do your back in unless like Nick Nickalas you load tennis balls and a giant tennis ball. His Gazzo pouch weights next to nothing. Mine with oranges and a melon is getting me down. I'm considering lighter loads and no table. Warren Toaze made and gave me a great light weight table he made that folds up real small with alli telescopic legs- it's fab so I'll carry on for a bit. I need light fruit.

By the way I don't like the magical production of balls at the beginning of Ammar's routine. Pete Wardel does it. I think it kind of defeats the purpose. If you can do that why carry on? Much better sold as a gambling thing with a kicker ending.
I'm talking ******** again, off to bed.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Adam,

I got steered to this thread to post a simple routine ending in large loads. I did post it at the Café, but it was in the temporary Café when the real one was being upgraded.

Open with the three cups in a stack, with a ball in the middle cup. Dump three balls out of the top cup, put them on the table, then do a slow Flushtration count to show all three cups empty, ending with the middle cup loaded.

Rap the top of the middle cup with the wand, place a ball on top of the middle cup, lift the two outer cups and stack onto the middle. Command the ball to penetrate, then lift the stack to show the ball.

Flushtration count again, using the inertia move to put the loaded middle cup over the single ball on the table. Repeat penetration.

The third ball, you can do the same way, or you can do the Mendoza move for a no-cup-on-top final penetration.

Either way, get back to 0-1-0 for the loads and place a ball in front of each cup. Say something meaningful or funny, as suits your character, and scoop load the cups fake-real-fake to end up 0-3-0.

Command the balls to assemble. Reveal the outer cups empty and replace on the table. Reveal the three balls under the middle, replace the cup, then place a ball on top of each cup. There is still one in your hand.

Starting at one end, do tip-over loads followed by ball vanishes for each of the three balls. You end up 1-1-1. Ditch the fourth ball (a pouch is great).

Now you really start talking. Ask anyone to name a cup, one, two or three. You ask them what they think is under that cup. Anything they say is potentially funny. Play with them. If they say one ball, show them that they are right. If they say anything else, react according to your character and show them the single ball. Sweep the cup high in the air to flash it empty, transfer the cup to the other hand in a loading move (for a big load) while gesturing and looking at the single ball on the table. Put down the loaded cup, lift the revealed ball high for all to see and say something playful. Put the ball on top of the loaded cup so that the audience can keep track of the cup the was lifted.

Ask the same person to name one of the other two cups. If they were wrong the first time, this is their second chance. If they were right, can they keep it up. The main focus here is playing with the audience member who is guessing. Reveal and load as before.

For the last cup, I remind them that there was one ball under the first cup and one under the second. Now I tell them that they have to decide whether I am the kind of person who wants to make them look good in public by making the pattern easy to follow, or whether it's like a three-part joke, where the third thing is different, like a story about a priest, a nun, and a rabbi. Everyone is really having fun now and it is easy to reveal and load.

Now you openly and fairly put away the three balls and make a big show of showing your hands empty, even rolling up your sleeves if you like, all to kill time for misdirection. Then ask (possibly the same person) to pick any cup, the whole time rapping the middle cup with your wand (a Gazzo joke). If they insist on one of the outer cups, you slide it the the middle and the middle one to the outside.

You then lift the middle cup high to flash it empty, transferring the cup to the other hand for a fourth big load. Revealing the big load under the middle cup is a big deal. Let the audience react. Put the loaded cup back on the table, put the big load on top of it.

Showing both hands empty, reveal the big loads under the side cups. Put the cups on the table well back from the middle cup and put the final loads on top of the cups. Let the audience react, then lift the middle cup with its load to reveal the fourth load. Put the middle cup with its load on top in a line with the other two and take your bow.

This is a very basic routine that I like because it opens with a set of fast and visual effects that are easy to follow, slows down a bit for some playing with the audience, then really surprises with the big loads. It is easy to do, so it is great for working big final loads for the first time in front of people.

Good luck!

Yours,

Paul
saranacbo
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of saranacbo
For what it's worth: for a beginner, I think a chop cup routine is a great start. It incorporates everything you need to know about timing and manipulation--at least for a neophyte--and it has fine impact. You yourself don't get fascinated by all your marvelous maneuvers (which can be a real turn-off for a spectator).k

As for the pouch: I put this elsewhere in the Café (under "Poacher's Pouches), but mine is from apronman.com. Works great--he can customize them however you want--and it cost $25, postage included.

I carry all my stuff in the pouch and take it out and put it back as the show progresses. It's perfectly natural that way.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5380 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Another way to fill those cups is load the lemons or orages from your pocket and the mellon from a table servant....more deceptive IF you have some strong mis-direction.....also you can load at least one piece of fruit from a small bag that you take your cup out of....set the bag on the table with the load in teh bag and then as you are cleanig your cup with the bag you can load about anything from the bag...
just a thought
koz
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
No pouch needed. I load 4 tennis ball size loads from my two back pockets.
I wear a jacket for coverage and professionalism. Also, I don't sit...
Pete always preaches the same concept about size not mattering. All I say is that the ball should be the load ment for that cup. I mean don't load a golf ball into a Gazzo (or jumbo style) cup. So you could load golf balls into a mini-cup-- that's fine.

Final loads are necessary, pouches aren't unless you are loading cantalopes...

For your first set of cups I suggest the Laurie Ireland cups for about 50-70 dollars. Those are very nice traditional cups that give a nice size final load.
Maybe you already bought the cups and the DVD, but if not, I suggest just jumping right into the Ammar Vol. 2.

JMO
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-01-15 21:29, Adam Javer wrote:
Hello all! (This is my first post! yeah!)

I can't fit 4 lemons or large balls into my pocket, can I? I have never tried, but I'm afraid people will notice. I don't have the kind of money for one of Gazzo's Pouches, but I will buy one once I get older. Also, with a pouch, wouldn't people notice it? They seem to be very odd colors, and would stand out fairly well against a pair of jeans...but maybe that's just me.

In his Encyclopedia of Magic (Complete Course in Magic), Mark Wilson suggests keeping three lemons in your pocket for the climax of the cups and balls routine. Even with a suit coat, it would bulge and be obvious. I bought a skein of red yarn and made up three yarn balls a little larger than golf balls. They're clearly larger than the little crocheted balls I'd been working with up til then and suffice as a legitimate surprise. No, Gazzo would not be impressed, but very few of us can be in Gazzo's circle!

Quote:
On 2005-01-17 18:44, Mars wrote:
You can take one of your moms old purses and cut off the straps and cut holes for a belt to run through it and make a servicable pouch for nothing.

Ronnie

That's very clever. You could also look in thrift shops, some times they have a bin of purses available for very little money!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I can tell you a pouch is not necessary but I like one.
If you're considering not using one...
In one week, tell Kozmo to show you a picture of his new table servant.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Frank, broke in the pouch I recieved from you this weekend. Loving it!

Posted a pic on my blog

http://www.ballvase.com/tfrank/weblog/tfblog.htm
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Thanks Tom. I downloaded the pic.
I hope it serves you well.

I've been wanting to try out that pouch but I guess I'm sort of attached
to my other one.

I'm wondering whether final loads would be more invisible if you're
doing cup and ball sourrounded. What do you think?

I load from the right side and often wonder about the folks over there. I usually turn to the right to load if people are present there.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
For those that money is a problem, go to Lowe's and check out the builder's toolkit pouch, you can get one with 2 front pockets plus you can add a middle one too. It comes with a large heavy duty belt with reinforced holes. The pockets are deep enough for 2 baseball loads. This will get you started but you'll end up getting the one you want done in leather anyway.
Bill
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-01-15 22:03, Jim Wilder wrote:
Adam,
For someone young (as you say), you ask some of the same questions that are asked by older performing magicians- the right ones. These are questions that will eventually place you on the right track. There has been a thread which addressed the question of whether or not people will notice where the loads come from. Ultimately, you should work, draw your own conclusions, and do what works for you. If hiding them in your belt loop worked for your performing conditions, then it worked. And therefore, one can't deem that it was an inappropriate method.

In the mean time, maybe consider a "tourist pouch" that can be found at Wal-Mart or a similar store. They are reasonably inexpensive and will accomodate lemons. Good luck Adam.

And one other thing... One of the funniest things I have ever read came from Mario Morris in regards to using your pockets to store your loads. It may look as though you suffer from the piles. So think about it. Smile

I liked Henry Hay's comment that if you loaded your suit with items the way the old books tell you to, people would think you were impersonating Harpo Marx! (Sad thing was, I had no idea who Harpo was when I first read that!)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
saranacbo
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of saranacbo
For me, the apronman.com pouch cannot be beat. It's cheap, washable, good looking and holds everything perfectly. At the time I got it, I didn't realize it could be customized however you want. Don't know if I need any extra pockets or I'd change what I have, but this is just FYI.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Which one did you get?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Large Loads and Pouches: Necessary? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL