The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Overpractising. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
Well, you all know some magicians do some stuff to learn stuff.
Ok, that was confusing, let me explain.

Lets say you do the multiplying balls effect. Those balls are often a little slippery and in the beginning when you practise, you might dip your hands in something sticky so the balls don't slide away. When you start to be confident with the effect and want to be able to do it flawlessly, then you instead dip your hands in oil or something slippry so its hard to hold the balls so when your hands are normal, theses not a chance for those suckers to slide off.

The same thing can be applied to card flourishes.
In the beginning practising cuts, you might rubberband packets so you don't drop cards all the time. I heard, when people practise the cobra cut, they first "underpractise" by rubberbanding packets or using a really old or non-slippry deck. When they feel confident, they only practise it with crisp new decks they just opened so its really slippry.

You get my idea?

So what methods do you use to "over practise" to learn stuff? Currently I am trying to learn the California cut (one of my one handed cuts) Well in both hands, I can do it very well in my right hand, but to make it go faster, I started to overpractise immediality (a word I cannot spell.) by adding about half another deck to my cards and now its a lot harder. Other ideas to use is like I wrote above, use super new decks to learn stuff perfectly and such.

So, what kind of methods do you use when you practise? Could be a good idea to share.
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
Jamil
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Jamil
To overpractice, use larger size cards, and decks with more cards. When you warm up or practice with poker size cards, bridge size cards feel like toys. If you warm up or practice with cards that are slightly larger than poker, you get the same effect. Same with a a deck with two or three added cards.
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
560 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Same as above. Use a deck with 60 or so cards. For manipulation of the card box itself I use one with a piece of steel in it. Weighs a ton, after a few minutes with that a normal deck feels feather light. You could also wear wrist weights as well.

If something new is giving me trouble, I take Jerry's advice and use some packets that are glued together. This works much better than them banded together with a rubber band.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
Jamil, you got any advice on cards slightly bigger than poker size?
I know that the Jack daniels cards is a little bigger and I really want my hand on one of those decks of that purpose but the only ones I see for sale are the new recent ones, those are standard poker size.

Fingerjack, for the underpractising part, I guess a great idea is to purchase the Thumbanator, then ill start one charlier cuts before even finishing the other one.

Takes so much time to glue packets together but heck, I guess ill do it. Or what about using some wide tape and just taping them together? BUt I guess that's not as good as the finish goes away then.

I glued one deck together, that's for Paul Harris´s solid Deception, took ages.

But I guess ill go fix some packets.
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
560 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Gluing the cards doesn't take too much time actually (of course it does take longer than the rubber band method). Your not building a gaff, so it doesn't have to look perfect. I just used a glue stick and made a square on each card and presto, clamp and let dry (you don't want any glue leaking out the edges however). By the time they start falling apart you should hopefully have the move down. You could also shim the cards so they have more weight to them, something I haven't tried yet.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
WOuld be cool if compressed lead existed or something, haha.
Like a piece of lead weighting one KG being compressed to the size of 1/4 of a deck. That would be hard.

I´ll try to glue some cards though.
MnemonicaRedux
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of MnemonicaRedux
This TOTALLY reminds me of weight training (which I just took 2 hours ago). If you wanna get buff, you start doing weights that push you to yer limit (actually, 80% of yer max), and then you'll be nice and strong do do chores like washing the dishes and all. Yeah.

And steel blocks REALLY help for card overpracticing, because of the number of G's they have. A normal deck will feel to you like what a car battery is to a weight trainer- nothing Smile

-Kev
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
I like to lift 200 pound blocks of steal with each finger. About 100 reps each finger. Then when I bust out a 326 way cut its just that much easier. I also keep on a strick flourish diet. 12 raw eggs, 2 rice patties, and a daily flinstone pill. Keeps me ready for anything.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
implicit
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of implicit
Play with different types of cards each day change decks. Bikes, kem, bees... Especially spend some time with the plastic cards, there is a totally different feel to them.
jessicashurtz
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jessicashurtz
Quote:
On 2005-01-30 17:23, implicit wrote:
Play with different types of cards each day change decks. Bikes, kem, bees... Especially spend some time with the plastic cards, there is a totally different feel to them.

can you tell me how kem cards are for flourishing? (IE fans, faros, sybils) or at least, your personal opinion of them as opposed to tally's or bikes. I'm going to invest in some new cards and I'm considering where I want to make the investments. a friend at school mentioned their longevity (they are made of plastic after all) but no one else at our school really does flourishing (minus karen)

-j
-j
Stam Olpid
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
15 Posts

Profile of Stam Olpid
KEM cards are mostly sold in "bridge size". I have tried fanning them without the fanning powder and I did some Brian Tudor's by mistake, then of course with the fanning powder they do work wonders. There are some that are sold in "poker size" but I haven't yet aquired them. I like the regular pasteboards because it's much more practical and cheaper. With KEM cards, if you were to do a cut like the "One Hand Revolution" it feels very wierd for some reason, probably because it's much smaller, in width that is.

I concur with Jamil. A little secret that many have told me in the past is to work with Tarot cards, which are a bit bigger than normal cards and then go back to the regular cards and it'll feel like a piece of cake or at least seem to taste like it. I don't believe there is such thing as overpracticing, unless that is you're training or practicing with your third arm.

Until next time,

:stuckinbag:

Stam
4Jacks
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of 4Jacks
Yeah, I know I'm resurrecting a Dead Post, Deal w/ it, I'm a Newbie, and can't be expected to read all this in a day.

Anywho... Has Anyone tried using Scotch Double Sided Tape to Tape a Deck together???

Not the Foam tape, It's clear and real thin and looks like regular scotch.

This would also add a little bit of weight and thickness, making it a better practise deck.

I thought about doing this, but I can't seem to bring myself to ruining a nice $1.97 pack of cards =
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
4Jacks: This is card manipulation: Cards are bound to get hurt.

In relation to the topic, it is good to practice with more cards than usual. Circle fans are ridiculously difficult to do with 60 + cards, so if you master it then, you are golden when performing regularly. Also, I constantly, almost subconciously, manipulate other objects. For instance, in my digital electronics class, I am always practicing with floppy disks, and any rectangular object I can get my hands on becomes fair game. So, just go through the motions a lot with different items to get used to it, overexercise, and you will gain the muscle memory to perform confidently.
jessicashurtz
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jessicashurtz
Sorry I sort of dropped off the board for a while... but thanks for the advice about KEMS, stam. infact, I generally use bridge size to learn stuff bc girls typically have smaller hands than guys and I am no exception, so it's a lot easier, but in the end it will probably be better to learn on poker size since bridges aren't really as widely used. at any rate, a friend brought some plastic cards to school one day and I tried a couple fans and sybils... they were absolutely awful and I'm not gonna go buy fanning powder as it's not such big deal to me, so bikes it is!
-j
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Yeah, plastic cards are no good for fanning.
CTG
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of CTG
One question that hasn't been answered and I'm interested in..where can you get cards that are bigger than poker size? And are they expensive?
4Jacks
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of 4Jacks
Quote:
On 2005-03-31 20:34, CTG wrote:
One question that hasn't been answered and I'm interested in..where can you get cards that are bigger than poker size? And are they expensive?

Buy Math Flash Cards
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
I practice a harder move, the simpler one then seems easy in comparison. For example, When I learned to do coin rolls, I immediately turned around and learned to roll three coins at a time on one hand (with both hands). I can now roll one coin in my sleep because compared to keeping control of three, it's a breeze.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Overpractising. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL