The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » List of Magic Effects-help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2005-01-19 03:09, joeyjojo wrote:
Once again, the Jack Gwynne genius is lost on me. What he defined as 'seen' magic is already described by a perfectly good term in the magic community: 'visual'. That's it. No need for another, clever interpretation.

If you read my post you will note that what you are quoting now is the Fu Manchu method or the way he looked at his magic and routine... Fu Manchu's method is in Greater Magic and I suggested reading because he was also successful...

And I feel that there is always room for another interpretation from a professional magician of days gone by and a legend in magic...
Quote:
It sounds like Mr. Gwynne was a successful man who knew how to make the most of even the smallest things (such as these silly word-complications) knowing that people such as yourself would be impressed by his "deep thinking".

Besides being a deep thinker he invented the flip over vanish box - the temple of benaries - the speedy rabbit production - the box tray and screen - and worked out a stack of fish bowl productions that could be done on a night club floor.

He was very successful in night clubs and -

He toured the US with a full evening show that was 80% his own magic ideas including a suspension floating lady that Walter Blany took his own slant on. Plus a vanish of his entire cast in an Arabian tent...

Jack Gwynne was more than successful in magic. He isn't with us any longer but there is a great book about him written by David Charvet...
Quote:
Gwynne may have made a lot of money performing magic,

The late Jack Gwynne did make a lot of money performing magic. From what you have written I feel that you don't know who Jack Gwynne was or Fu Manchu... I find reading about the success of magicians and past masters of the art very interesting. And I like reading about their points of view and why they did things their way...

Quote:
I don't think his virtues extend to the cerebral sphere (at least on the basis of what you've described).

I do! Jack Gwynne and Fu Manchu were both legends in magic and I find their life and work and what they gave to magic very interesting!!!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
MR2Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville
179 Posts

Profile of MR2Guy
From The Trick Brain - by Dariel Fitzkee

The Nineteen Basic Effects:

Production (Appearance, creation, multiplication)
Vanish (Disappearance, obliteration)
Transposition (Change in location)
Transformation (Change in appearance. character or identity)
Penetration (One solid through another)
Restoration (Making the destroyed whole)
Animation (Movement imparted to the inanimate)
Anti-Gravity (Levitation and change in weight)
Attraction (Mysterious adhesion)
Sympathetic Reaction (Sympathetic response)
Invulnerability (Injury proof)
Physical Anomaly (Contradictions, abnormalities, freaks)
Spectator Failure (Magicians' challenge)
Control (Mind over the inanimate)
Identification (Specific discovery)
Thought Reading (Mental perception, mind reading)
Thought Transmission (Thought projection and transference)
Prediction (Foretelling the future)
Extra-Sensory Perception (Unusual perception, other than mind)

Jason
Question every rule.
There are no absolutes.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2005-01-17 05:10, Hideo Kato wrote:
What do you call one thing changes into completely different thing? Change seems to have more wide meaning.

Hideo Kato

Metamorphis. (spelling may not be correct)
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Thanks Jason.
This is the list I remember.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
In our vocabulary of magic, those are the verbs. What is missing is the subject and the object. IE the context and the focus of the magic. These additional 'noun clauses' in our grammer are necesary as well.

I can appreciate the abstraction offered in the list as provided, and if that appeals to you, you might also like the ideas in Eno's Oblique Strategy cards. These can help you when you have some peices in working order and wish to add to your collection in an ecological way.

However, the missing ingredient remains your character and setting. Only then can the nouns and subjects find magical verbs to create the spells you seek.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MR2Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville
179 Posts

Profile of MR2Guy
A while back I thought to myself that it makes sense that I should learn at least one effect in each of Fitzkee's catagories. There are some catagories that I don't have effects for, and others I have several, I guess because I like the effect, or it's more my style. Do you think there is any merit in learning effects based on the list even if you feel it's not your style? Should I try some to see if I'm missing some killer effects because of my self imposed standards?

Jason
Question every rule.
There are no absolutes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » List of Magic Effects-help (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL