The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Formal Close up show for kids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Hello all,

I have been doing formal close up shows for kids 8 and up for a while. I will sit at the dinning or kitchen table with the kids and do a formal show. I am thinking of bringing this down to the younger ages. Most times the kids are sitting on the floor so a table top is too high. I am thinking of a coffee table or something lower to the floor for them to see the table top. Other than doing the magic on the floor, does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,

David
Patchouli
View Profile
New user
France
65 Posts

Profile of Patchouli
Quote:
On 2005-01-17 15:03, David French wrote:
I am thinking of a coffee table or something lower to the floor for them to see the table top.

What will be your position while performing ? On your knees ?
Not very nice !

Patrick.
TommyTheTremendous
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of TommyTheTremendous
I also do formal kid shows, but for any ages (the adults know what a minimum age should be for magic), which includes 6+. Most of the time, I do my shows in their living room. They USUALLY have a coffee table that is just the right size for the kids to see. If for some reason there is no surface high/low enough for me to use, I will pull out the tricks I can do standing up and the ones that involve me having the kids be one of my assistants.
- Tommy Magic
David J French
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of David J French
Hi Tommy,

Do you sit at the coffee table or are you on your knees? I will sometimes sit on the floor in an "Indian Style" or am on my knees.

thanks,

David
AndrewBarbour
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of AndrewBarbour
I have been playing with this for a little while. For years I have included a small close-up routine lasting about 5-7 minutes in my kids shows and it always goes over well. I kneel down and work on top of one of my suitcases. It sits about 8 inches off the floor. The only two drawbacks are:
- having to put a close-up pad on top
- no real hidden area for loads or ditching
- a touch too low for me

If you can live with these this may be a good solution for you - otherwise, like me, you may have to build something from the ground up.

My current concept is as follows:

- performance top 17" x 26"
- surface covering will be black with a 2" gold fringe around front and sides (matches my overall color scheme)
- box underneath 2" back from edge of performance top
- height will be 11"
- top will be hinged
- may make the back drop down for loads and ditches (although I wear a waist bag for my entire show and this will likely be sufficient)
- rubber feet on bottom just incase performing on a rough/uneven surface
- carry case will be a canvas/nylon bag custom made by a local awning company

I am now considering materials (likely birch ply with a black stain).

I am still in design mode so any thoughts or suggestions on how to improve this overall concept would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I use a little table that is about a foot tall and packs flat for traveling, and have the children sit around me in a semi circle with a bag behind me to my left as I sit down "Indian style". While I don't always perform this way, there are times when this type of thing is requested. Before attempting this with the kids, be sure that you can "control" your surroundings as best as possible; trouble can break out if you’re not careful.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
That is a table I use but I have the eureka base on it, that has a telescopic stand that goes as low as 18 inches from flow, has a black art well for ditching and costs only $40.... mine is black with gold trim...
Doc Pepper
View Profile
New user
Black Hills of South Dakota
82 Posts

Profile of Doc Pepper
I do a lot of kids shows and when they are in the 4-6 range, I do the whole show sitting in a chair with a chair beside me or we all sit around a dining table. I have a complete show geared for `the little people'. Sometimes these are harder than `the big people'. I do have a table I use regularly but it only goes down to about 30"... thus - the chair.
The Doctor will see you now! ;-)
Gregory The Great
View Profile
New user
Florida
53 Posts

Profile of Gregory The Great
I sometimes have the same problem. I have a lot of help from the kids and use things I can bring around to them. I perform under a tent I bring. The tent is nice because I have a back drop and set up behind.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Formal Close up show for kids (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL