The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » dove training (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5168 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Under the forum of The Good, Bad and Garbage, Kard16 had asked about how I train doves which was a little off topic for that forum. In any event, my method is not new but a mix of many ideas I have seen.

Basically, my doves are kept in a basement aviary where they have lots of freedom. I begin by just letting them perch on my finger in the aviary. After they are completely comfortable, I take them to my practice area and begin tossing them from hand to hand. When I start that phase, I temporarily deprive them of food for a day.

Then by holding seed in my hand, they get the idea of flying from one hand to another to get food. Sometimes I use pieces of apple or song food seed which they are crazy about. By extending my hands farther apart as training progresses, they get used to what they are supposed to do and eventually, I don't use the deprivaton of seed any longer.

For special effects like having them fly across stage to a perch, I just fasten a cup of seed to the perch and do the same process. I spend at least 10 minutes a day with each bird, (it should be more but with 18 of them that's a lot of time) but it's needed. I stroke them, talk to them and on nice days, move them outside for fresh air. That's it in a nutshell.

I could go on and on. There are books and videos dealing with this subject alone.

Kard16, if you want some more information, you can PM me or send a message to my normal E-mail address. I'd be glad to help you or anyone else that may be interested.

Dave Smile
Where the magic begins
EranRaven
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of EranRaven
How long have you found that it takes to train a new dove this way?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5168 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
EranRaven, I usually allow 6 weeks to fully train my birds. If I work with the bird every day for a long periods of time, I only have to use the food deprivation for about a week. I've had some that were fully ready in 4 and others that took 8 but on the average, six is a good amount of time.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I learned from Tony Clark's "Unmasked."
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5168 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Tony Clark is an excellent source.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » dove training (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL