The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » The Goddess Maja (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jared Lewis
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Jared Lewis
In the prologue of Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, Bobo alludes to a goddess named Maja, who appears from context to be some sort of patron deity of magic.

Does any one know any of the mythology surrounding this goddess or even what religion she is from? Better yet, if any one can direct me to a book or website which includes such information, it would most appreciated.

Patheon.org, several books I own on mythology, and google, all of which normally provide a wealth of information on such topics, have left me disappointed.

Mythology has always interested me greatly, and I study it a great deal. This converging of two interests of mine is fascinating to me.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Jared:

Various cultures have goddesses named Maja. The month of May is supposedly named for a Roman goddess of springtime. There is also a Hindu "All-mother" called Maja as well as a Sioux earth mother of that name. If you do a Google search using Maja goddess, you will find many web sites with references. If you just use Maja, you will find more references to paintings than to mythologies and religions.

Here is one link
http://www.italiaplease.com/eng/ megazine/giroditalia/2001/08/maiella/

and another

http://www.dmuuc.org/lay/Power-of-Myth.html

and another

http://www.yourbabysname.com/names_m.htm
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jared Lewis
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Jared Lewis
I was under the impression that May was named after the Goddess Maia. Though, the baby name page does attribute it to Maja.
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/m/maia_2.html

I was aware of the Sioux and Hindu goddesses, but I wondered if he refrenced to another God because of their indirect connection to magic. Both godesses certainly possessed magic ability, but neither was specifically associated with magic. Many mythological gods possess magic. Why point out either one of those two?

The way Bobo refrenced the goddess made her sound as if she were a patron goddess of magic.

"May the collected coint magic of these worshippers of the Goddess Maja, to which J.B. Bobo has devoted so much of his magical life, give you pleasure and serve you well!"

I am not saying I still believe the passage does not refrence one of the above godesses, because if no one else has any ideas, there is a good chance it does.

I guess now my question would be why did Bobo choose one of those goddesses and not one of the many other gods or goddesses who had magical abilities.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3392 Posts

Profile of Julie
As a point of interest, Maja is also stamped onto many old palming/manipulation coins...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Jared Lewis wrote:
Quote:
I was under the impression that May was named after the Goddess Maia. Though, the baby name page does attribute it to Maja.
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/m/maia_2.html

The ancient Romans had no letter "J" in their alphabet. The letter "I" was used instead. The letter "J" was used only to spell foreign words. This might explain why you didn't see the connection. Also the letter "V" is often used as a "U." Some scholars believe that the "V" was pronounced like a "W" or a "U" instead of like a "V," so "veni, vidi, vici," would be pronounced "waynee, weedee, weekee," instead of the way it is pronounced in some Latin classes now.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
447 Posts

Profile of Hushai
How about Maja as a personification of what is meant by the Indian word "maya," i.e., meaning "illusion?" That would fit the art of magic to a "T."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes, that is part of the same thing.

When that intro to the Bobo material was written, people wrote very flowery introductions that really did not mean what they said.

Bobo did not have an altar to Maja in a secret room in the back of his house or anything like that.

"May the collected coin magic of these worshippers of the Goddess Maja, to which J.B. Bobo has devoted so much of his magical life, give you pleasure and serve you well!" is a very flowery allegory.

Maja = Maia = Maya
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » The Goddess Maja (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL