The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Mumbling Children (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
It seems today, more and more children lack the ability to speak clearly and distinctly, which gives rise to my question. How do you address the problem when you bring someone on stage and their reply to "Hi, what's your name?" Is "thcmgey." "Excuse me and they repeat and repeat and finally the whole audience screams their name? It happens to various age groups, but seems to be happening more and more.
Drew from Spotlight
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
123 Posts

Profile of Drew from Spotlight
I always try to get my volunteers involved using funny patter lines when they introduce themselves to me on stage (Old standards that you’ve probably heard, or use yourself, a million times before). However if I can’t understand them, and I do ask once or twice, I move on without embarrassing them or myself. I still use my comedy lines, and talk directly to them but I leave out their name. True it’s not always the best situation but I don’t want to break the rhythm of my show either. In the end they’re still glad to be involved with the magic.

Drew
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Good question. Strangely it has happened to me only a few times, and usually it has been immigrant children that has names I have never heard before. One or two times I have said "Ok", and then continued with the trick without saying their name. You can get a long way by saying: "And now this brave girl are going to...".

It´s not necessary to allways ask for their names, so if you don´t hear their names, and don´t use it, it´s not something that will stand out that much. And the audience will understand.

Mikael
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
you could miss call the name a few time.
magi -hi whats your name
kid(boy)-booibo
magi -Susan?
child- No booibo
magi-- Jill?
child (getting louder)-- booibo
Magi --oh booibo nice to meet you

this will give you a few times to understand what the child is saying...

for a girl you could use boy names. this could start off then follow with the hand shake gags or what ever.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Mikael and dude hit it on the head best. If I do not understand the name I go on with the show as if I never asked the childs name, if the effect is a longer one, at some point I'll turn and ask "And now Mary, that was your name, right?" then they repeat their real name, "Oh yeah, Beth, You wouldn't by any chance remember my name? I forgot it."

Some children have gotten upset with the fact that I forgot their name that is why I add in the tag line.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I live in Southern Cal with a large population of minorities that name their children the strangest things. Then they dress them bizarrly and you literally can't tell if there is a boy or a girl standing next to you. When you make a mistake or mis-call, inevitably the parent gets upset and thinks that your a racist. This has only happened a couple of times, but it has caused me to be gun shy when performing in those areas of Los Angeles. Outside of those few occurences...we all have a ball during the show!

I appreciate everybody's input. Thanks.
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
A technique that David Ginn teaches in his book *KidBiz* is after you ask twice and still don't understand, say something like, "Well glad to meet you, but for this trick I need a boy named Jethro and a girl named Daisy, so I am going to call you Jethro and Daisy." Then continue with the routine using the made up names.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
the first thing I do when this happens is look at their shirt if it has a carachter or name on it I say "Oh boy I should have realised it's written on your shirt thank's for helping Spider man" I then continue to call him by that carachter name for the rest of the effect. if I cannot find a logo I just pretend to have miss heared them and say/use the nearest comedy name near to what I think they are saying.
Phillip
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I have misunderstood names before and called them by that name the whole routine. The kids thought it was very funny. But then again i am kind of a goofy entertainer. so it fit
but I don't make this a standard I want to use the right name.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Doug and PB,

Those are wonderful ideas. Thank you so much!

Smile
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
On the party suvival guide I send out with my birthday contracts I reccomend putting name badges on the children, this works OK untill you get one of those new modern girly names that is pronounced useing spelt using none of the actuall letters that the name is spelt with. "Shavon" is one, that's not the correct spelling as it seems to be spelt without an H or V in it. I'm terrible with names at the best of times, not only with kids either, and if I can't understand when a young child tells me thier name i give a "help" look to the adults who most times promptly tell me the name, if that fails I just resort to calling them mate or Princess or throw a string of funny names. (But never in a way that puts them down.) If I simply forget a name (which I do often)calling a boy by a girls name and vice versa will always get the kids to shout out the forgotten name.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
Someone may have mentioned this already...a technique we used for all kinds of shows was to ask the sponsor/organizer/chairperson/parent(s) before the start of the show for a list of 6-8 individuals who were sure to be present; we asked that each one listed be considered a "good sport" and someone who would enjoy being a part of the show and would not be embarrased by being asked to help. If there was any "special information" about any one individual, that would be written down , too. Then, when the time came for "volunteers" we'd incorporate a funny (respectful) line with the request to REQUEST so-and-so to help with the next adventure. Smile
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1769 Posts

Profile of SIX
I do the same thing as flourish dude I miscall the childs name and it works great people find it funny and the kid speaks louder.
six
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I have this problem countless times when I'm making balloons for kids. I ask them what kind of balloon they want and they say, "iflbfoo." If I can't understand it the second time, I just say, "I don't think I can make that one. Would you like a hot-dog dog instead?"

Most people wouldn't have said hot-dog dog in the first place and most kids will simply agree.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Mumbling Children (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL