The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Spring Flourish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Toasty
View Profile
New user
Wales
36 Posts

Profile of Toasty
Hi everyone,
I'm having a little trouble in performing the spring flourish as I begin smoothly, but always the last few cards are awkward and untidy. I'm unsure if it is ok to post about this here, but if not, feel free to pm me...
Any help in accomplishing this feat would be welcome, perhaps I am going wrong somewhere in beginning the flourish.
Thanks alot
Toasty
life is magical-in one way or another...
Stimuli
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Stimuli
The Corner Grip Method taught in the Bible shows you the right grip, release, and catch method to perform this move in a very controlled, percise manner. I suggest picking it up not just for this move but for everything else aswell. Peace.
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
Yep, the bible is great.

But yeah, to all of you, spring by the corners, doesn't make such an annoying sound and will also be smoother. Smile
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
I have always used the corner method for basicly 10 years now. I hate the other way. Not only is it very loud but isn't as nice and isn't as easy. Cards fly everywhere and its not as easy to control. I stopped using the normal method like 2 days after I learned it. I never really saw anyone using the corner method, just sort of started doing it. Now I have done it for like I said, about 10 years now. For sure the way to do it.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Corner method, with cards springing off my thumb, is how I've performed this flourish forever.

Building up your distance and speed is a gradual thing, and the untidiness of the pack at the end of the move is almost impossible to remove. At the conclusion of the flourish, the hands come back together to resquare the deck anyway.

CSR
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
SirPoBoy
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of SirPoBoy
I prefer the corner grip method as it's smooth, controllable, and quiet. Many others for some reason like the improper method or middle grip method as it produces the noise. I find it to be the total opposite of the corner grip method and will stick to doing springs at the corner as I learned it from the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes.

SirPoBoy
Toasty
View Profile
New user
Wales
36 Posts

Profile of Toasty
Great, sorry for being so late to get back to the post. That's really useful...i'll go away and start practicing now!! Ben
life is magical-in one way or another...
Reverse
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Reverse
I like the corner method tooo!! Its better than the other one because it makes a farting noise! LOL Smile

Rev
CardConjurer
View Profile
Loyal user
South Florida
202 Posts

Profile of CardConjurer
I actually prefer the noise. I think it makes the effect of springing the cards even stronger. I learned to spring like 3 years ago, and still havent gotten around to changing to the corner grip.
I like cards.
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
Actually lately I have started to prefer the magician method (Short sides) Lately. A spring just done very quickly and nonchalantly gets a great effect in a performance and shows that you are talented with cards. The corner method gives a slower spring and might work better for Card Manipulators. But for me, as a magician I think I like the magician method more.
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
magicnewb
View Profile
New user
USA
77 Posts

Profile of magicnewb
Yea but you say that a few cards are untidy right? is it really possible to spring and have the deck back in a mechanics grip perfectly?
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Not exactly. It's like an accordian movement. As you get low on cards, then hand that you're springing into should come back and meet with your springing hand.
"Illusion is the first of all pleasures."
Oscar Wilde

"If you only knew the hours I spent just thinking about practicing"
-The Amazing Jonathan
Tysmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
171 Posts

Profile of Tysmagic
I actually don't like the corner grip. I can do a good spring with the front edges being held, and for who ever asks it, yes, they do end up in mechanics grip fine for me. I can do all the things described in the bible by using the "magicians" method of springing the cards. I imagine this is only because I learned the spring first using the front edges and have just stuck to doing it that way. Only lately have I bothered trying to go with the corners. As for the sound, I don't particularly care. When will the noise of a flourish make it better or worse?

:dance:
TAOBMAETS 666 or 999 Steamboat
Antz
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of Antz
Sure you can do the upside-down spring and the overhead spring using the lousy method (and I say lousy cause it's simply inferior to the Corner Spring method), but your springs may be more messier and it would take much longer to accomplish a smoother action.

As for the earlier question, it is impossible to do long springs without a squaring action or a gimmick of some kind.

Antz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Spring Flourish (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL