The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Must read!!! Find who you are??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
Well while reading some old copies of the Linking Ring, I came across a great entry by Lou Dermann and I think it will be in the best interest to post it in here, for I'm sure it will help a couple of lost souls out there find their way home.

Ok, here it is just as written:

Quote:
SUCCESS in professional magic, when all is said and done, boils down to just one thing : how much people like you when you're NOT doing tricks -- the same as in a good marriage.

If folks are always "out" when you phone and put out all the lights in the house when they see you walking up their driveway, chances are you don't excite them too much. Like the old saying goes : you only cheer people when you leave the room.

And that's the way it is with the professional performer : your tricks great though they may be, don't mean a thing if the audience sits there wondering, "Did he always have that lisp?" or "Must he put on that phony smile?" or "What lovely hair! I wonder if he's a boy or a girl?"

You see, dear friends, as you perform your tricks, the folks out there are studying YOU: your expression, your clothes, your speech, your attitude -- summing it all up, your loveability. And I don't mean your ability to to make love; I mean your personal warmth and amiability, THE true pro soon has the men thinking: "I'd like him as a friend" -- and the ladies thinking "I'd like him for a pillow fight."

some performers come on so strong , the audience thinks : I'd like him as an enemy.
I've watched hundreds of performers over the years and divided the misfits into the following categories :

1. THE MUMBLER : tough, he does his tricks with skill, he rarely looks up at the audience. he mumbles to himself as if reciting the Rosary and when he smiles, it's a sick artificial smile like a baby with gas pains .

2. THE SHOUTER : hollers like an evangelist at the revival meeting. Keeps everybody awake and hostile. Nobody watches his tricks -- They're too busy watching his eyes to see if he plans to attack them.

3. THE BORE : does three effects in 20 minutes, each trick having a build-up bigger than the Normandy Invasion. Before he reveals the selected card, he drones on and on about the aces being missionaries, the jokers being cannibals, etc., etc., and, there being no wit or brightness in his dialog, the captive audience looks like bunch of fish in a basket : mouths and eyes wide open but all in another world. Eventually shooting a bore will no longer be considered a capital offense.

4. THE COCKY ONE : figures he's the best manipulator in the world and the folks out there are lucky to have been born in his era so they can appreciate his genius with a deck of cards. The Cocky One tends to talk loud fast and nervous, and after each trick he bows his head and the audience applauds, never realizing he's really bowing in silent homage to his own genius.

5. THE LEECHER : too obnoxious to win girls in private life so he gets his kicks in grabbing, feeling, pinching and mauling female "volunteers" (actually draftees to a private orgy). As the dirty old man asks the young girl her name, he squeezes her milky white arm; as he drops a coin in her hand, he massages her shoulder; and as he leads her back to her seat, he holds her waist and any other parts in the immediate area. His problem: he doesn't have the money to finance a love affair, and he doesn't have the nerve to become a rapist .
This man is living on borrowed time and eventually some no-nonsense husband or boyfriend will double-lift his nose.

In contrast to the LOSERS mentioned above, the great majority of working magical performers are personable and considerate and -- getting back to the theme of this piece, as likable in private life as they are standing before an audience.

There is an old saying : "what you ARE speaks so loud I cannot hear what you SAY."

If in real life you are a mumbler, a shouter, a cocky one or a lecher, the perceptive audience will not appreciate you or your tricks or your persistence in living .

THE remedy? frankly I doubt if there is any.
People don't change much as they go through life. The guy who was a bore at 20, will still be a bore at 30, 40 or 50 if audiences allow him to live that long. You can't change what you are, and if you find audiences resent you, admit to yourself you just aren't the performer type. You should restrict you magical shows to club meeting where sympathetic friends will watch you do you thing, and the gracious hostess will later serve coffee and sandwiches, which will "disappear like magic" and be written up in ring reports.

"The truth shall make you free."
Dear reader, so if you know in your heart that you fall into any of the above categories, try to make some changes: get plastic surgery, psychiatry, a new suit of clothes, a normal girlfriend, and join some religious group that will pray for you.

THE END

Well, that was the whole article published in the Linking Ring on March 1973 and the only thing I don't agree with is that you can't change {in my opinion it's very hard, but you can change}. Apart from that, all the rest was sound knowledge 40 years ago and it's still good today.
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
They need to update it. Anyone care to help or any suggestions?
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Quote:
On 2005-01-19 09:11, sniper1 wrote:

well that was the whole article published on the linking ring on march 1973 .
and the only thing I don't agree with is that you cant change { in my opinion its very hard but you can change } apart from that all the rest was sound knowledge 40 years ago and its still good today

40 years ago? Seems like only yesterday.
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
Yeah , pretty funny ehh , 40 years have past and most magicians are still the same
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
My new favorite cliche of the day magician is the "Creepy Mystic". That's the guy that wears all black (jacket, tie and shirt), and grows a goatee (also dyed black).

He tends to stare at you just a little too long with that Rasputin-wanna-be look, thinking that he is drawing you in to his hypno-spooky, Christopher Lee vibe, when really all you're thinking is, "What is that in the corner of his eye?" or "Is he going to try and kiss me?"

Then he writes "4 of clubs" on his arm in ashes. Good for you, Anton Von Dork... now give your mom her matches back.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
And what about the ,STREET MAGICIAN WANNABEE .
can write a whole encyclopedia about those
donsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of donsmagic
Many years ago I had a comedy magic paperback book by Lou Dermann. He was very insightful. Wasn't he a early writer for All in the Family?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
How about th young kid who trys to convince everybody that he has traveled to the Far east and explored thr "mysteries of the Orient?"

Or the David Copperfield wannabes?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Or the plain "WANNABE"
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Fishsticks
View Profile
New user
Greensboro, NC
70 Posts

Profile of Fishsticks
Quote:
On 2005-01-19 18:29, Reis O'Brien wrote:
My new favorite cliche of the day magician is the "Creepy Mystic". That's the guy that wears all black (jacket, tie and shirt), and grows a goatee (also dyed black).

He tends to stare at you just a little too long with that Rasputin-wanna-be look, thinking that he is drawing you in to his hypno-spooky, Christopher Lee vibe, when really all you're thinking is, "What is that in the corner of his eye?" or "Is he going to try and kiss me?"

Then he writes "4 of clubs" on his arm in ashes. Good for you, Anton Von Dork... now give your mom her matches back.

Why would your mom give you matches? That's not a good mom.
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
Quote:
On 2005-01-23 12:11, Fishsticks wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-01-19 18:29, Reis O'Brien wrote:
My new favorite cliche of the day magician is the "CREEPY MYSTIC". That's the guy that wears all black (jacket, tie AND shirt), and grows a gotee (also dyed black).

Why would your mom give you matches? That's not a good mom.

Not a good mom but one heck of an assistant!
Comedy and then the magic
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
65 Posts

Profile of Comedy and then the magic
The best is the laymen magician who is... the "magician" who thinks he is a magician just because he goes to the magic meetings and lectures and hangs out with magicians and just knows how to do the packet tricks, yet is fooled when showed a david blaine special.
"Always Make It Magic Plus Laughs" - R.I.P. Mark Hendrickson
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Quote:
On 2005-01-26 06:17, ComedyAndThenTheMagic wrote:
The best is the laymen magician who is... the "magician" who thinks he is a magician just because he goes to the magic meetings and lectures and hangs out with magicians and just knows how to do the packet tricks, yet is fooled when showed a david blaine special.

LOL. oh hell yes. He is also the one who ca do every type of shuffle and flourish known to magicians but still cannot figure out how the spectator can be fooled the previous magician's simple classic force, but yet is not impressed by all his flourishes.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Of course, but why not invent a name of a shuffle, then say it was in such and such a book and see what the guy does.
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I have said this before in other topics but I think one thing that a lot of performers do wrong is they don't play to their character. You have to look in the mirror and cast yourself accordingly. If you aren't funny don't try. If you aren't sexy don't try to be. If you aren't spooky leave spooky magic alone. It took me a while to define my character and what would suit me to perform. Since I have I have had much more success with audiences.

On stage we are just an extension of who we are. Amped up a bit. I have read in a book recently, forgot the name, that on stage we are Superman and off stage we are Clark Kent. Find out exactly who Clark Kent is and that will tell you what kind of Superman you are. That was a really great book. I'll try to find out the name for ya.
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Comedy and then the magic
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
65 Posts

Profile of Comedy and then the magic
The village idiots, if you talk to John Armstrong he has a similar theory called the superhero theory, which concers our character and magic talents that go along with it and what talents and gifts we have as superheroes and/or performers.
"Always Make It Magic Plus Laughs" - R.I.P. Mark Hendrickson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Must read!!! Find who you are??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL