We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Learning Linking Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Sean Comer
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Sean Comer
I started with David Ginn's 'Comedy Linking Rings'. Uses all eight and for me the presentation and handling of the rings was just what I needed at the time. Also I prefer, written instructions/books, for some reason it is easier for me to understand what is written than understanding what is being 'done' in a dvd or vhs. I too, as others have posted require multiple viewings of a DVD or VHS to 'learn' a routine or method.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I would love to learn the linking rings, It blows my mind. The only way I can think of that being possible is slits, but that is too tacky, or is it???
Where could I get a good linking rings?
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
492 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Slits! What are you kidding!?
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
TheMagicMan101, If you like the effect then get the rings and a source of information to study and go. That's all that there is to it. I would suggest getting a full size set. You can probably get the cheapest full size set on ebay if you look for 8" rings. I think you may get a set for not much money.

Go to ebay and search for "linking rings" I just did and found one that ends in a day that is 9.5 inches and is right now at $20.

Another is a set of three, ending in 2 days that is currently at $1.75 but will probably go for around $10.

I saw another with "buy it now" for $25.75, these are 10" as well.

My sole advice on this is that, when starting out, you might want to go with at least 8" and you might want to get the full set of 8. That leaves the most flexibility. You can just about go any direction with those. You can use them for close up or parlor. You can do 2,3,4,5, or 8 ring routines mentioned here.

As for the 'slits'. Ummm nobody is going to answer that. That's exposure.
Tim Hughes
View Profile
New user
Shropshire
25 Posts

Profile of Tim Hughes
I use the Symphony of the Rings routine by Dai Vernon - you can get a copy on lybrary.com - when I'm a bit more experienced I'll try another routine, thanks for the Ganson suggestion.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3250 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Just please don't call them " elephant wedding bands..."

That joke is really dumb.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2005-09-13 20:54, Cory Gallupe wrote:
I would love to learn the linking rings, It blows my mind. The only way I can think of that being possible is slits, but that is too tacky, or is it???
Where could I get a good linking rings?

Any magic shop, really.

But you may be surprised when you actually get them. The Linking rings is one of those effects whose punch comes not from the method,
but from the performance.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Hey Brad, is your LR video still available? Smile
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Get the DVD from Tom Frank. He is among the best that I have ever witnessed.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Texan Bob White has probably the best instructional video out on Linking Rings, par none. But there are no routines on this video, just moves from a man who has an unbelieveable mastery with them. Make up your own routine. Yes there are some great routines out there already, and you can copy one of those and be one of the many "who also" do so and so's routine. When you study the moves with the rings you can make up your own routine, be it comedy, serious, silent, or to music, and it will be you and you're unique performance. Who knows, one day hundreds of magicians may be doing your routine.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9125 Posts

Profile of funsway
I recommend checking out "Linking Hearts." Not only does the unique shape allow for some innovative moves like one-handed links/unlinks, but many spectators will not even think - Linking Rings. You also get some neat Ring on Rope effects that I combine into a single routine, ending with tying the four rings on the rope and the ends held by spectators, then removing the rings one by one.

I have done many different LR routines in the past 50 years, but have never had so much fun!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
You have received some great advice on this thread. Most of the resources will teach you the basic moves that many people employ in their various routines. Get comfortable with the moves and then learn one or two routines. Eventually, you will likely want to develop a routine of your own, using the different moves at your disposal. The ability to customize a routine like this is what makes the effect a classic that is capable of enduring over time. Many years ago, I started out by developing an 8 ring routine that played really well for children. It involved them directly and has some very strong visual moments. Recently, I reinvented my routine to fit within my Oriental Fusion show. Here is a link to what I'm currently performing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE5mLLX1u4k

I only show this to you to emphasize a simple point. There is no right or wrong way to perform a routine. Just because the set comes with 8 rings, doesn't mean you need to use them all. Just because some performers have the rings examined, doesn't mean that the way you have to do it. Just because others use a member from the audience, doesn't mean that's the only way to perform. Over time, you will find what fits you best. The key is to take your time and have fun with it.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan now living in the Florida panha
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
I will agree with Brad in allowing a spectator who is up on stage to help with the trick ala Whit Haydn to "seemingly examine the individual rings. If you ever saw his teaching video on the linking rings you will know. As for examining the Zombie if you have no spectator assisting on stage then there is no reason to examine it.

mightydog
David
Illusion and magic is the same, if it was possible to achieve the impossible by genuine powers then it wouldn’t be impossible and therefore it wouldn’t be magic. That’s why magic is an art; the art of creating the illusion of the impossible.
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Learning Linking Rings (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.45 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL